Evo LTE vs S3

Jubbs

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

I live in Boston Ma, and I was going to upgrade to a new WImax phone, but I just read some people were getting LTE here and there.

I tried the Evo LTE when it originally came out but I had HORRIBLE reception and returned it. I am willing to give it another try if people say that it has improved, but I really need a new phone soon and I can't decide between the S3 and the Evo LTE

It all comes down to what you like, everyone has different taste and priority.

HTC tends to have better reception than the samsung phones, but samsung addressed the reception issue really well on the galaxy s3.

In terms of reception in Boston, I am from boston too, and am suffering from the slow (15-100 Kbps) network speed in boston. But this will improve as NV upgrade expand more in the area. For example, right near South Station area, I average 1.3Mbps to 2Mbps speed.

They just started implementing LTE sites in Boston market, and some are in the testing phase, heard that burlington mall site was on and off, as well as the site in lynn as well.

as far as choosing a phone, totally up to you, both phones are great, and they both will benefit from the future LTE rollout.

it will be a phone that you will use for couple of years, pick the one you want, based on your preferences.

Both phones have advantages and disadvantages.

From what it seems, reception (actual, not "number of bars") is about the same between the two devices

EVO LTE has the "Infinity" LCD display and a larger non-removable battery (along with better power management)

Samsung GS3 has the SAMOLED, a slightly smaller removable battery, and battery doesn't last as long.

So, I would play with both devices and pick the one you like more. Perhaps your first EVO 4G LTE had a bad radio. I daily use the EVO 4G LTE and have had no noticeable issues with radio.

Samsung GS3 has the SAMOLED, a slightly smaller removable battery, and battery doesn't last as long.

I use GS3 daily, but I dont have any problem with the battery. I use the phone with wifi on all the time, sync 4 email address, text, phone calls, web surfing and on a 12 hour day, I am left with anywhere between 30-50% depending on how heavy the usage was.

With light usage, same setting: wifi emails not as much texting and calls; after 30 hours, my phone was sitting at 24%.

yup, as irev mentioned, distinct differences of the two are: 1. removable/non-removable battery

edited: sorry, evo lte does have micro sd slot, I wanted to mention the kickstand, not micro sd

Edited by hyun1120

I did a side by side comparison, and I can say -dbm wise the SGIII wins. The SG III performed on par with my

Photon -dbm wise. The SG III gets very good reception so I bought it and have never been more happy. It performs just as my Photon does in weak reception areas. I have my Photon and I would test both phones antenna -dbm signal and they are within 1-2 -dbm's. Nobody can say the SG III has weak antenna or GPS problems. I tested them both and if you are worried about antenna signal don't!

pluses:

1.9 mega pixel camera

2 gigs of ram

3 software enhancements like face unlock, phone to face while texting to call person being texted, larger screen

• Like 1

I use GS3 daily, but I dont have any problem with the battery. I use the phone with wifi on all the time, sync 4 email address, text, phone calls, web surfing and on a 12 hour day, I am left with anywhere between 30-50% depending on how heavy the usage was.

With light usage, same setting: wifi emails not as much texting and calls; after 30 hours, my phone was sitting at 24%.

yup, as irev mentioned, two distinct differences of the two are: 1. removable/non-removable battery and 2. sd card slot/no sd card slot

The battery life is good on both phones, the EVO 4G LTE is just better.

I never mentioned the microSD slot. Both have microSD cards - not worth comparing.

You really can't go by completely on receive dBm either. What about transmit? You could only read that on the tower side. The real test is to place both phones in the same location with a headset attached in sprint only mode. Then try a test call in a fringe area and slowly move to a location where one can no longer hold a test call..loopback call is is best..if you know of one of course. Once one dies then repeat the calls and make sure it didn't die due to cell breathing. If you can repeatedly call on one phone and not the other then there is your winner.

With data...I guess you could just do a ping test. Both phones would need to be in evdo only mode as well.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

• Like 1

I have had both and to me the S3 just seems to run smoother. I had issues with the Evo when it came to adding files to the phone over USB that I don't have with the S3(Much slower transfers). Might have been just an issue with just that EVO. I switch to the S3 and have not regretted it one bit.

I think the bigger difference is with the Samsung, you get the straight OS where as with the HTC, you get the HTC Sense software added on. Then your preference becomes which software do you like.

I think the bigger difference is with the Samsung, you get the straight OS where as with the HTC, you get the HTC Sense software added on. Then your preference becomes which software do you like.

The GS3 has a touchwiz overlay, somewhat similar to HTC Sense...

You really can't go by completely on receive dBm either. What about transmit? You could only read that on the tower side. The real test is to place both phones in the same location with a headset attached in sprint only mode. Then try a test call in a fringe area and slowly move to a location where one can no longer hold a test call..loopback call is is best..if you know of one of course. Once one dies then repeat the calls and make sure it didn't die due to cell breathing. If you can repeatedly call on one phone and not the other then there is your winner.

With data...I guess you could just do a ping test. Both phones would need to be in evdo only mode as well.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

I have them both in use in a really low reception area for my test on a daily basis....my home. Dropped calls are about the same as is reception. My EVO 3D couldn't come close to this so I returned it for the Photon. My og EVO did a good job if it were put next to a window, but the Photon, and SG III get better reception with out being placed on a window sill albeit a weak signal they hold on to signal in a weak area pretty well! I always check them both to check if there is any change in performance......none so far!

Where as your suggested way of testing would probably be far superior to my way of testing; my way of functionally testing side by side of both units is good enough for "me"

Edited by QWIKSTRIKE

The GS3 has a touchwiz overlay, somewhat similar to HTC Sense...

Sense for the win no question for me! Touch wiz is like having something caught in your teeth...you know it's there but you just can't get at it.

Edited by QWIKSTRIKE

Sense for the win no question for me! Touch wiz is like having something caught in your teeth...you know it's there but you just can't get at it.

And sense is like having a fat man sitting on your chest.

And sense is like having a fat man sitting on your chest.

ROFL.....you may call it bloat but bloat functionality was, and is way better. The EVO LTE is a marvelous phone, and seems more fluid in function to "me". Touch wiz takes getting use to and is not as easy to navigate as Sense is....this seems to be the consensus of most all tech reviews that I have read. Having an EVO, EVO 3D, and playing with the EVO LTE I can really say sense has better functionality IMHO.

Antenna signal, a1.9 camera, and 2 gigs of ram is what swayed me....

Edited by QWIKSTRIKE

ROFL.....you may call it bloat but bloat functionality was, and is way better. The EVO LTE is a marvelous phone, and seems more fluid in function to "me". Touch wiz takes getting use to and is not as easy to navigate as Sense is....this seems to be the consensus of most all tech reviews that I have read.

I've had both on various phones. I spent more time trying to find a pure AOSP ROM than anything, thank goodness for cyanogenmod. I hate them both equally. Never had motoblur, I assume that is as pointless.

TouchWiz deserves to be put down just for the name alone. No, I do not want to touch your wiz.

AJ

• Like 1

I ran CM on my OG Evo several times and I would always end up going back to a sense based ROM. I missed my smart dialer and I never found a calendar widget that fit my needs better than the Sense one.

The performance bump of CM was never enough to keep me from going back to good ole Sense.

I guess it's like leaving the super hot girl who really doesn't offer much other than an occasional good romp to go back to the still attractive girl who is smart, cooks, treats you like a king and is fun to be around.

Not that I've ever experienced the super hot girl romping part, but I imagine that's how it is.

I've had both on various phones. I spent more time trying to find a pure AOSP ROM than anything, thank goodness for cyanogenmod. I hate them both equally. Never had motoblur, I assume that is as pointless.

Damn you nailed that one....I hated Blur on the Photon....rofl...I am not sure which is wores Touch wiz or blur....."blur" it is by a land slide I think!

• Like 1

TouchWiz deserves to be put down just for the name alone. No, I do not want to touch your wiz.

AJ

True dat it does seem gurly man doesn't it. ROFL.

I ran CM on my OG Evo several times and I would always end up going back to a sense based ROM. I missed my smart dialer and I never found a calendar widget that fit my needs better than the Sense one.

The performance bump of CM was never enough to keep me from going back to good ole Sense.

I guess it's like leaving the super hot girl who really doesn't offer much other than an occasional good romp to go back to the still attractive girl who is smart, cooks, treats you like a king and is fun to be around.

Not that I've ever experienced the super hot girl romping part, but I imagine that's how it is.

I agree I have yet to find the clock or calendar equal to sense!

Edited by QWIKSTRIKE

ROFL.....you may call it bloat but bloat functionality was, and is way better. The EVO LTE is a marvelous phone, and seems more fluid in function to "me". Touch wiz takes getting use to and is not as easy to navigate as Sense is....this seems to be the consensus of most all tech reviews that I have read. Having an EVO, EVO 3D, and playing with the EVO LTE I can really say sense has better functionality IMHO.

Antenna signal, a1.9 camera, and 2 gigs of ram is what swayed me....

I personally didnt like touchwiz either but it really does look and feel good on ics than on gb

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2