3G NV towers to LTE

How does it happen? I know that there are a few LTE live towers in The Boston market. But every tower that has been done so far is just a 3G upgrade to NV. Do they have to send out another team to activate the LTE or is it something done remotely. Also, is it dependent on backhaul? I can't wait to be trying out some LTE once the new iPhone comes out, if it has LTE.

How does it happen? I know that there are a few LTE live towers in The Boston market. But every tower that has been done so far is just a 3G upgrade to NV. Do they have to send out another team to activate the LTE or is it something done remotely. Also, is it dependent on backhaul? I can't wait to be trying out some LTE once the new iPhone comes out, if it has LTE.

It's likely due to back haul delays. The next iPhone won't have LTE support on 850Mhz SMR likely until the iPhone 6 is released so in building coverage on the iPhone will be the same as 3G. I'm also not to sure that the iPhone 5 will even be getting LTE at all (LTE Radios still use a large amount of power in comparison to just CDMA.) due to Apple trying to have some of the longest battery life out of all of the other smart phones.

but im asking, if backhaul is conncected, is it as easy as a flip of a switch or require a team to go out and do something

I went and looked at a few that were upgraded but didn't have LTE - the speeds were all over the map. I then went to the sites that had 4G (not able to connect) but they all had 2mbit+ 3G speeds.

None cought the eHRPD yet, so it was still EVDOrevA.

My best guess is that they need backhaul before they can light up LTE - but the hardware is there. I saw no difference in antenna/RRU setups between LTE site and non-LTE site.

I went and looked at a few that were upgraded but didn't have LTE - the speeds were all over the map. I then went to the sites that had 4G (not able to connect) but they all had 2mbit+ 3G speeds.

My best guess is that they need backhaul before they can light up LTE - but the hardware is there. I saw no difference in antenna/RRU setups between LTE site and non-LTE site.

I have done the same and haven't found anything. My LTE record in ##data# is empty as well. I think this means that the equipment is there but its not turned on due to some reason; maybe backhaul. If the site is on but blocked Robert said it would show in the LTE record but mine is blank so they must not be turned on.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Connecting new backhaul after a NV site is complete is rather simple. Its a matter of just plugging the new backhaul Ethernet connection into its slot in the router at the base station and disconnecting the legacy T1 from the same router. And Voila! Maybe an hour per site. Its a little more difficult at a MW site than Ethernet, but not a big deal either.

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

I have done the same and haven't found anything. My LTE record in ##data# is empty as well. I think this means that the equipment is there but its not turned on due to some reason; maybe backhaul. If the site is on but blocked Robert said it would show in the LTE record but mine is blank so they must not be turned on.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

The LTE record showing blocked sites is just a theory. Since I do not live in a LTE area, I cannot conform myself. In reports from members, I have heard it both ways.

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

• Like 1

I'm seeing eHRPD in Haverhill, MA, but no speed increases on my 3G or live LTE yet.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I'm seeing eHRPD in Haverhill, MA, but no speed increases on my 3G or live LTE yet.

Was wondering if there was an update on this... I live in Haverhill MA and sprint is showing it lit up on their coverage maps now for LTE?

Please see this thread: http://s4gru.com/ind...-massachusetts/

For more updates on the MA market.

Thanks, I've been following that thread for a while now. I only asked on the comment above b/c its specific to the town I live in. Much of this thread is South of Boston, however I'll keep following. Thanks again.

Thanks, I've been following that thread for a while now. I only asked on the comment above b/c its specific to the town I live in. Much of this thread is South of Boston, however I'll keep following. Thanks again.

I directed you to that thread because that is where you are more likely to get an answer. We try to keep market specific material within their designated threads.