(Poll) Will you buy the Nexus Q? Will it catch on?

pyroscott

Would you buy the Nexus Q?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Do you plan on buying the Nexus Q?

• Yes, I already preordered
    • Yes, but not yet
    • Only if the price comes down
    • Maybe. I'm thinking about it.
    • No
  2. 2. Will it be successful?

• Yes
    • No

So, Google has announced the Nexus Q, a rather powerful set top... orb?

It looks as though it will provide competition to the Apple TV with media streaming and remote control from Android devices. The price point is somewhat surprising at $299, but that is what the first generation of Google TV STB, Logitech Revue was priced. Logitech later discontinued the unit and dropped the price down to $99 to try to clear out inventory. Will this iteration of Google's attempt at entry into the home theater succeed? Or will we see the Nexus Q priced at $99 soon enough?

It also should be mentioned that the Nexus Q seems to be made in the USA...

I think that the $299 is too high. With Sonys new set-top Google TV, and Vizio releasing theirs $99, people would lean more towards those, although they are both two different types of devices, I could see people confusing the "Q" as a Google TV device, and lean more towards the Vizio or Sony products.

I have 3 Roku's and a PlayOn server, so just about everything I could ever need is serviced by those devices, however, I'd buy a Q if the price point was around $100.

As for the success of the device, I say no right now. If google stays with it, in the 3rd generation, it will become successful.

Also, when viewing on Forum Runner, I could only see one of the two questions. I couldn't vote because of an error that I need to answer all questions.

There are so many other lower priced devices out there which will perform the same function, and much more. For the Nexus Q to be successful, Google is going to have to both drop the price and unlock more functionality with future software updates. Google is not stupid, so I'd be surprised if this isn't already in the plans.

• Like 1

What they need to do to get the Nexus Q more popular is get more applications to be able to stream over it, so far it's just Youtube, Google Movies/TV, and Google Music. In my opinion that isn't enough and could be so much greater. Also there is rumors that this could be the central hub for GooglePlay@Home/Android@Home, so that could make the price tag of 300$ seem a little more acceptable.

• Like 1

For me, I just don't really see the point.

I love the fact that it's actually made in the USA - that would be a strong selling point that would make me buy it over most competitors if I was remotely interested in its functionality.

As a windows media center user with a ceton cable card, my home theater PC typically pulls duty as all things content, and it is wonderful at that.

This is just "another device" (as is the googleTV). I am interested in all-in-one solutions, not adding "another" device.

I still don't get why setups like the Ceton InfiniTV and Windows Media Center aren't more popular. The ability to remove monthly DVR costs plus add any content you want would seem like a large driver of consumption. The fact that the xbox 360 is the perfect media center extender just adds to the value.

• Like 2

I think they intended it to compete with sonos and squeeze box. It needs more features to compete with those products. And those products are losing lots of ground to amplifiers with built in streaming support for spotiffy and DLNA, features the q currently lacks

• 3 weeks later...