T-Mobile CEO steps down abruptly

Rawvega

I guess his turnaround efforts were not good enough. That and the failed ATT merger meant his time was up.

If anyone should be fired for the failed merger, it is AT&T's Stephenson. However, I kind of like him where he is at. Because he is a complete idiot. I love his quotes how he is going to punish his subscribers for the failed merger. Priceless.

Robert

• Like 2

Many believe that Humm was brought in from parent Deutsche Telekom largely to sell off T-Mobile USA. I just tweeted a question, asking if the sudden resignation of Humm and the spectrum swap with VZW indicate a change in DT's long term strategy regarding T-Mobile USA.

AJ

• Like 1

If anyone should be fired for the failed merger, it is AT&T's Stephenson. However, I kind of like him where he is at. Because he is a complete idiot. I love his quotes how he is going to punish his subscribers for the failed merger. Priceless.

Robert

It's only a matter of time before the shareholders find out how much of a crook he really is when the network starts to go to cr@p and they start pressuring him to step down or oust him in a boardroom coup.

It's only a matter of time before the shareholders find out how much of a crook he really is when the network starts to go to cr@p and they start pressuring him to step down or oust him in a boardroom coup.

I doubt it. Josh, what you have to understand is that many modern day shareholders do not care if the "network starts to go to cr@p." Purely profit focused shareholders want 1) to keep network CAPEX as low as possible 2) to remain competitive not through innovation or evolution but through coerced retention and 3) to limit competition and make subs feel as if they have no place else to go because they perceive that only AT&T offers the coverage they need, all of their friends/family are on AT&T, AT&T is the best carrier for iOS devices, or that other carriers are simply scary, unknown commodities, etc.

AJ

• Like 4

Guest 503ducati

Remember this gem?

T-Mobile USA chief (Humm) hopes to overtake Sprint by 2015 through organic growth.

T-Mobile

January 1st 2011 - 33.7 million total subscribers

March 31st 2012 - 33.4 million total subscribers

Sprint

January 1st 2011 - 49.9 million total subscribers

March 31st 2012 - 56.1 million total subscribers

+6,200,000

• Like 1

Remember this gem?

T-Mobile USA chief (Humm) hopes to overtake Sprint by 2015 through organic growth.

Careful. Think critically about the nature and timing of Humm's statement before you pillory him for it.

How much did the AT&T-T-Mobile merger negatively affect T-Mobile's growth? And how much did Sprint benefit from those who jumped ship or avoided T-Mobile to stay out of the mouth of AT&T?

AJ

Guest 503ducati

Careful. Think critically about the nature and timing of Humm's statement before you pillory him for it.

How much did the AT&T-T-Mobile merger negatively affect T-Mobile's growth? And how much did Sprint benefit from those who jumped ship or avoided T-Mobile to stay out of the mouth of AT&T?

AJ

His comical hype around mythical "organic growth" was something else. We haven't seen anything yet with T-Mobile postpaid loses. With pending LTE iPhone across VZW, AT&T, and Sprint's unlimited may push beyond the 1/2+ million postpaid loses per Qtr. for TMO. But more power to him, I wonder who he took an offer with?

Edited by 503ducati

AJ

I do not believe the merger had major of an effect on them as many believe. They lost most of their customers in q4 of 2011. I believe they lost 800k in that quarter. I believe prior to that they had actually had subscriber growth.

And while the merger officially failed in december. The writing was on the wall since q3.

AJ

Hindsight infers his statements were little more than positioning to fuel the potential buyers' lust or worry and increase the sale price.

Guest 503ducati

What's really startling:

December 31, 2008, T-Mobile USA had 32.8 million total subscribers.

March 31st, 2012, T-Mobile USA had 33.4 million total subscribers.

They are coming up on 4 years of no subscriber growth.

I doubt it. Josh, what you have to understand is that many modern day shareholders do not care if the "network starts to go to cr@p." Purely profit focused shareholders want 1) to keep network CAPEX as low as possible 2) to remain competitive not through innovation or evolution but through coerced retention and 3) to limit competition and make subs feel as if they have no place else to go because they perceive that only AT&T offers the coverage they need, all of their friends/family are on AT&T, AT&T is the best carrier for iOS devices, or that other carriers are simply scary, unknown commodities, etc.

AJ

I can't envision a scenario where purely profit shareholders are really happy with AT&T given the $4 billion loss on the failed T-Mobile merger. As far as network investment, AT&T is spending $21 billion this year and $95 billion the last five years on network upgrades, the problem is that they thought they could skate on investment after ATTWS/Cingular integration. AT&T had to spend way more due to the number of network integrations they have had. TDMA to GSM. Cingular/ATTWS merger. Jump from GSM to UMTS. Now from UMTS to LTE. Verizon and Sprint have both had an easier path with gentle upgrades on various revisions of the CDMA standard and now are in a better position to leap to LTE.

So yeah, I could see this guy being on the hot seat.

So yeah' date=' I could see this guy being on the hot seat.[/quote']

I'll bring the marshmallows.

Robert via Kindle Fire using Forum Runner