Tucows offering cell phone service on Sprint's network, includes 4G WiMax

pyroscott

Migrated from Original Forum. Originally Posted 3 February 2012

Some of us may have used Tucows for downloading shareware/freeware, but they have ventured into the prepaid cellular market with "Ting", a prepaid network operating on the Sprint network.

The current flagship of the Ting line is the Motorola Photon which will offer 4G WiMax data in a pay for what you use format that tops out at $60 for 3 gigabytes, but tethering and hotspot capability are included in the plan. There are 2 other WiMax phones, a few non-WiMax spartphones and a couple feature phones. Wireless minutes and text messages are inexpensive if you are not a heavy user and Ting will automatically insert you in the category that fits best.

Sadly, your Sprint phone will not transfer over to this network, customers will have to purchase one of their (currently 8) phones to use on the network.

Just doing a quick glance of the offerings, I like it. You get all the benefits of a sprint plan but with the buffet style menu, you get to choose the voice/text/data allotments that fits your needs. Definitely not for the power user, but for someone who is in control consistently on how they use their phone and are budget conscience, it works.

I took my monthly average for talk and text, without data, and it would cost me $22 a month. Almost makes me curoius how much of my data usage could be offloaded to WiFi...

The only thing is as an MVNO, you are not subject to Sprint's roaming deals. So you will only have service on the Sprint native network. But this won't matter to millions of people. However, for me, my city is the last Sprint service area for 100's of miles. Sprint service in my city and all points south is great. But if you drive 5 miles north of town, the next Sprint service you get will be in Durango, Colorado or Pueblo, Colorado, depending which way you travel. I live off Verizon roaming in these areas.

Migrated from Original Forum. Originally Posted 4 February 2012

True, it is nice to know that you are (almost) always covered as long as you are somewhere near civilization. I roam at work, but I could give up roaming for my daily routine, it would stink when I travel though.

• 1 month later...

Data is too much and I easily use more than 3GB/mo. I was totally surprised when I first read about this. Guess it's experimenting time. Anyone know how long tucows has been in business?

Anyone know how long tucows has been in business?

Since 1993

Data would be better for someone like me who is almost always around Wi-Fi

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Their name is an acronym for "the ultimate collection of winsock software"

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I used to download old classic mac apps from their site over a decade ago. Haven't used them for a while.