Leap Wireless, AKA Cricket, to Offer Prepaid iPhone Starting Next Month

alphnasx

What's the chances the next LTE iPhone will work on Clearwire LTE network?

Leap Wireless' date=' AKA Cricket, to Offer Prepaid iPhone Starting Next Month

http://allthingsd.com/20120531/leap-wireless-aka-cricket-to-offer-prepaid-iphone-starting-next-month/?reflink=ATD_yahoo_ticker

If it does, it will just be incidental. Since the Clearwire LTE network wont be live until Mid 2013, I don't think Apple will be aiming to try to include LTE 2600 this year.

However, if the device already essentially supports every aspect of 2600 LTE and has the antennas to support it, they may just include it. However, I'm doubtful that next iPhone will support Clearwire LTE if it releases this Fall.

Robert via Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

I wonder if sprint will follow and let boost/virgin mobile customers buy iPhones outright to use.

That would be a good selling point for Sprint.

What's the chances the next LTE iPhone will work on Clearwire LTE network?

Leap Wireless, AKA Cricket, to Offer Prepaid iPhone Starting Next Month

http://allthingsd.co...TD_yahoo_ticker

I read that China Mobile may be talking with Apple to develop a 4G LTE iPhone that will be compatible with their TD-LTE Network as well as Clearwire's planned TD-LTE Network as part of their collaboration on TD-LTE devices because both support the global 2.5 GHz spectrum band which can benefit Sprint and Cricket with global compatibility.

Source:

http://corporate.cle...eleaseID=605532

Cricket is selling an unsubsidized, no contract iPhone 4S 16 GB for $500. Does this reveal anything about the $650 "full retail price" that VZW, AT&T, and Sprint are charging for the same iPhone?

AJ

• Like 2

If it does, it will just be incidental. Since the Clearwire LTE network wont be live until Mid 2013, I don't think Apple will be aiming to try to include LTE 2600 this year.

However, if the device already essentially supports every aspect of 2600 LTE and has the antennas to support it, they may just include it. However, I'm doubtful that next iPhone will support Clearwire LTE if it releases this Fall.

iPhone LTE suck data like crazy & for Sprint to keep offering Unlimited Data, Sprint needs Clearwire LTE TD network capacity. What i also was thinking is that Apple will make it run on Clearwire LTE TD network to show China Mobile that their iPhone LTE can run on China Mobile planned LTE TD network too. Leap (Cricket) just announced today they will sell the iPhone 4 & 4S. Leap also has a wholesales agreement with Clearwire too. Leap will get the Iphone LTE, but dunno when. 3 reasons for Apple to make iphone compactible to Clearwire LTE TD. China Mobile is the largest carrier (abt 665 mil subs), Sprint (abt 55 mil subs), & Leap (abt 6 mil subs)

Edited by alphnasx

iPhone LTE suck data like crazy & for Sprint to keep offering Unlimited Data' date=' Sprint needs Clearwire LTE TD network capacity. What i also was thinking is that Apple will make it run on Clearwire LTE TD network to show China Mobile that their iPhone LTE can run on China Mobile planned LTE TD network too. Leap (Cricket) just announced today they will sell the iPhone 4 & 4S. Leap also has a wholesales agreement with Clearwire too. Leap will get the Iphone LTE, but dunno when. 3 reasons for Apple to make iphone compactible to Clearwire LTE TD. China Mobile is the largest carrier (abt 665 mil subs), Sprint (abt 55 mil subs), & Leap (abt 6 mil subs)[/quote']

China Mobile is Clearwire's best bet for a LTE iPhone this year. However, for your hypothesis to work, it is predicated that there is one world LTE iPhone. And I don't think that is going to happen. The number of antennas that Apple would have to cram into that little iPhone pretty much precludes that from happening.

They couldn't even come up with that in the new LTE iPad. They had to create different models for Verizon and AT&T. It is likely the new iPhone will be in the same boat. Different models for each carrier.

So the China Mobile iPhone will not support the Sprint network, other than LTE 2600. So that means that the Sprint LTE iPhone would be different than the China Mobile version. So there is no guarantee that the Sprint model will have 2600 support this year just because China Mobile gets one. There are only so many antennas they can put in a small form factor like a smartphone. Especially a smaller one like the iPhone.

I wont say its impossible, but I'm going to stick my neck out and say unlikely that we will see a Sprint iPhone that supports LTE 1900 and LTE 2600.

That would be a good selling point for Sprint.

Yea, I think Virgin mobile is behind when it comes to opening up their network to other phones. I think they could steal a ton of customers from Cricket and Metro, if they let customers flash sprint smartphones to their network.

but Boost & Virgin have to run on Sprint LTE network. currently Boost & Virgin are on Clearwire Wimax network

I do not think they have to offer the phones with LTE. I think offering them with 3g will be good enough until sprint is ready to let their prepaid phones get a taste of LTE. And with network vision, those customers will still see good 3G speeds.

China Mobile is Clearwire's best bet for a LTE iPhone this year. However, for your hypothesis to work, it is predicated that there is one world LTE iPhone. And I don't think that is going to happen. The number of antennas that Apple would have to cram into that little iPhone pretty much precludes that from happening.

They couldn't even come up with that in the new LTE iPad. They had to create different models for Verizon and AT&T. It is likely the new iPhone will be in the same boat. Different models for each carrier.

So the China Mobile iPhone will not support the Sprint network, other than LTE 2600. So that means that the Sprint LTE iPhone would be different than the China Mobile version. So there is no guarantee that the Sprint model will have 2600 support this year just because China Mobile gets one. There are only so many antennas they can put in a small form factor like a smartphone. Especially a smaller one like the iPhone.

I wont say its impossible, but I'm going to stick my neck out and say unlikely that we will see a Sprint iPhone that supports LTE 1900 and LTE 2600.

do u think Sprint iPhone LTE will work on Clearwire LTE TD network?

do u think Sprint iPhone LTE will work on Clearwire LTE TD network?

Its my opinion that the Sprint LTE iPhone will not support TD-LTE on 2600 if it comes out this Fall. And this is based on a Sprint document that says the first LTE 2600 devices will not be on the market until 2013.

Its my opinion that the Sprint LTE iPhone will not support TD-LTE on 2600 if it comes out this Fall. And this is based on a Sprint document that says the first LTE 2600 devices will not be on the market until 2013.

Robert, do you know what month or quarter in 2013 we can possibly expect a handset with TD-LTE 2600 support?

Robert, do you know what month or quarter in 2013 we can possibly expect a handset with TD-LTE 2600 support?

In the scoping document between Sprint and Clearwire regarding FD-LTE and TD-LTE interoperability, they referenced a 2nd Quarter 2013 device availability. So that is the plan now. It may change between now and then.

Robert

2nd quarter? Wow, just about time for me to cancel my Viper and get a whole new line again, and still have a reasonable ETF. jk :rofl:

That's good news to see that they have a goal so soon.

Hold on, let Robert go consult Miss Cleo...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWyHiV3l3MA

You do know that she is the source of all info on S4GRU, right?

AJ

• Like 3

Does this mean they're adding AWS CDMA support to the iPhone' date=' or will Leap just essentially be a Sprint MVNO in AWS only Cricket markets?[/quote']

The iPhone would have to be modified to support 1700/2100 CDMA. I wonder if Apple did the modifications to do that. They have in the past to make the iPhone work in China, so maybe they did for Cricket too

Sent from my LG Viper 4G LTE using Forum Runner

Does this mean they're adding AWS CDMA support to the iPhone, or will Leap just essentially be a Sprint MVNO in AWS only Cricket markets?

The iPhone would have to be modified to support 1700/2100 CDMA. I wonder if Apple did the modifications to do that. They have in the past to make the iPhone work in China, so maybe they did for Cricket too

Early returns indicate that Leap will sell the iPhone only in its markets that have deployed CDMA1X 1900, not in any markets that are exclusively CDMA1X 2100+1700 (i.e. AWS) (e.g. in Tulsa but not in Oklahoma City, etc.).

AJ

Early returns indicate that Leap will sell the iPhone only in its markets that have deployed CDMA1X 1900' date=' not in any markets that are exclusively CDMA1X 2100+1700 (i.e. AWS) (e.g. in Tulsa but not in Oklahoma City, etc.).

AJ[/quote']

So much for my idea then. Thanks for the clarification AJ.

Sent from my LG Viper 4G LTE using Forum Runner<br />PS: Don't mow a lawn in 50% + humidity and 75 degree weather. It takes 3 times longer. :(