Charter is not interested in becoming a full fledged carrier

bigsnake49

Already offloads 75% of data load to WiFi so it does not make financial sense to invest in a macro network.  Said that they might be interested in bidding in the CBRS and C-Band auctions.

https://www.fiercewireless.com/operators/charter-not-looking-to-be-full-scale-facilities-based-mobile-operator-cfo

I wonder if they are interested in hosting both of those bands in post and strand mounted small cells as a neutral host. I have no idea why Comcast bid in the 600MHz auction other than to lease it to a carrier and get roaming on the cheap. Right now they are leasing it to T-Mobile and I am assuming that that would be the play going forward.

On 6/19/2020 at 12:47 PM, bigsnake49 said:

I have no idea why Comcast bid in the 600MHz auction other than to lease it to a carrier and get roaming on the cheap. 

This is what I assumed, if they never were planning to build out a network.  And they never seemed serious to do that.

Robert

Roaming agreements.  Possibly target hotspots.

I also think that if they can put 3.5GHz in their modem's, they could improve coverage/handoff significantly over 2.4/5GHz WiFi. Further increase the amount of data offloaded onto their network.

But in CBRS, they don't NEED a license.  They have  80MHz of unlicensed spectrum to work with.  So I'd think picking up licenses is more so that they can swap for better MVNO deals.