Microsoft resorts to bribing AT&T sales associates to sell windows phones.

pyroscott

Migrated from Original Forum. Originally Posted 26 January 2012

Microsoft plans to spend $200 million in incentives for AT&T sales associates for recommending windows phones. According to

Android Authority Microsoft and partners will pay $10 to $15 per Windows Phone sale to AT&T sales associates who recommend the platform to the customer. With $200 million behind this promotion that could mean between 13 and 20 million handsets could be sold through AT&T alone before this promotion runs out.

Looks like Microsoft is starting their aggressive assault on the marketplace. Look out Android and iPhone.

It almost makes me want to go to an AT&T store to see how hard they push for the windows phone... I'm getting a mental picture of all the windows phones lined up in the front of the store and the Android and iPhones piled up in the dim corner.

Migrated from Original Forum. Originally Posted 26 January 2012

This is such a totally Microsoft thing to do. The thing is though, Apple and Google both have pockets deep enough to go head up with M$ on this if that's the way they want to play the game. And at this point in time, very, very few people who really want iPhones are going to be persuaded to get a WP7 handset instead. That could change, but right now they've got an uphill battle on their hands.

Migrated from Original Forum. Originally Posted 27 January 2012

I can't see Apple or Google putting money into the same plan, not because it wouldn't be effective, but because they are arrogant. Microsoft knows that they need market share or they are dead in the water. The effectiveness depends a lot on how well this program is implemented. If AT&T cooperates and makes it work, it could sell a lot of phones. If it gets caught up in bureaucracy, it will be a waste of time and money.

Migrated from Original Forum. Originally Posted 27 January 2012

WP is the closest thing to an iOS clone that I've seen. But after the webOS debacle, MS has played it smart IMO. MS looks like it took notes from Palm/HP and are doing it differently and it appears to be gaining traction. MS teamed with a good hardware maker (Nokia) and the 900 series appears to be a solid device (See Pre).

Now they're throwing $ after it in marketing and sales support to keep it in the public eye and give sales an incentive to push it. WP will need a lot of marketing to gain share which it will mostly get at RIMs expense. Although RIM will still have a lead this fall when BBX10 comes out, I don't think they have the money to push it. BBX10 will need to be on a hot device and execute flawlessly or WP may be poised to take over the #3 slot.

Microsoft has always been good at extortion. That's why they dominated the PC industry for years, and small companies like Be, Inc failed. But this time they fell behind and have to resort to more subtle forms of extortion ("incentives") to try to dominate again. It's really pathetic how they do that.

Don't get me wrong, I like Windows Phone 7. Haven't tried out 7.5 Mango yet, but 7 was really nice and stable. A first for me in all my dealings with Microsoft over the years. I've had Windows Mobile phones in the past that needed to be thrown under a car tire on more than one occasion, lol.

Don't get me wrong, I like Windows Phone 7. Haven't tried out 7.5 Mango yet, but 7 was really nice and stable. A first for me in all my dealings with Microsoft over the years. I've had Windows Mobile phones in the past that needed to be thrown under a car tire on more than one occasion, lol.

Did I just see "stable" in the same sentence as a Windows product? Wow. I never thought I'd see this day! :lol:

Sent from Tapatalk App

How about Microsoft releases a stable full of high priority updates?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Touché!

Sent from Tapatalk App

• Like 1

Did I just see "stable" in the same sentence as a Windows product? Wow. I never thought I'd see this day! :lol:

Sent from Tapatalk App

Actually, yes you did. LOL I had an HTC Trophy on Verizon for a short time and it really did work good. I know it seems odd to see stable in the phrase, but it worked very well. However, now that I just read that the customer preview of Windows 8 that's dropping this weekend drops the infamous start button, I will hold to the belief that Microsoft should be shot!