Are Multi-Mode SatCOLTs with 4G a possibility for Sprint?

4GHoward

Yes. If the polarity can be reversed.

????????

Robert via NOVO7PALADIN Tablet using Forum Runner

Yes. If the polarity can be reversed.

...of the flux capacitor? That would require 1.21 gigawatts.

AJ

• Like 1

I'm trying to figure out what a SatCOLT is.

Are you talking about satellite cellsite on light truck? I think the COWs are the next generation of that, right?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

That is exactly what it is. Has anyone seen it in person? Please post your images if you have any.

That is exactly what it is. Has anyone seen it in person? Please post your images if you have any.

Yeah see them all the time here. All college football season long there is one parked outside my stadium...also when I make the trip to Charlotte 2x a year for the NASCAR race there are multiple inside the track in the infield. One actually within spitting distance of my campsite. For that race they even truck in the bigger 18wheeler one too on top of the reg COW...

I'll take pics this year...

One question id have is if COWs will have LTE on them in near future...

Another is where do the COWs get their backhaul from? They have to literally plug up to a fiber line as i can't recall seeing a microwave radome on the things...or is it from something else?...

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

Yeah see them all the time here. All college football season long there is one parked outside my stadium...also when I make the trip to Charlotte 2x a year for the NASCAR race there are multiple inside the track in the infield. One actually within spitting distance of my campsite. For that race they even truck in the bigger 18wheeler one too on top of the reg COW...

I'll take pics this year...

One question id have is if COWs will have LTE on them in near future...

Another is where do the COWs get their backhaul from? They have to literally plug up to a fiber line as i can't recall seeing a microwave radome on the things...or is it from something else?...

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

I was wondering that too. It almost can't be from satellite because you would need a lot of bandwidth (especially for LTE)

I was wondering that too. It almost can't be from satellite because you would need a lot of bandwidth (especially for LTE)

Is that what LightSquared tried to do and what Dish Network is trying to do?

Well Wiki says "... The backhaul to the network can be via terrestrial microwave, communication satellite, or existing wired infrastructure...."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cell_on_wheels

Just never noticed one with a microwave radome on it, nor noticed cables from the ground running into it either...Deff will be taking a close look at the COW's at the race next month and in October...usually run across the operator of the sites at least once during the race weekend so i'll get some questions at him when i see him...

Well Wiki says "... The backhaul to the network can be via terrestrial microwave, communication satellite, or existing wired infrastructure...."

http://en.wikipedia..../Cell_on_wheels

Just never noticed one with a microwave radome on it, nor noticed cables from the ground running into it either...Deff will be taking a close look at the COW's at the race next month and in October...usually run across the operator of the sites at least once during the race weekend so i'll get some questions at him when i see him...

If you happen to see the COWs, may you please take some good up close pictures?

Disclaimer: I could be wrong, but this is my take on all of that.

Lightsquared was going to convert Satellite spectrum for terrestrial and satellite use for end users. They would supplement the terrestrial network with satellite coverage. I believe all the backhaul for the network was going to be fiber/microwave. That is why they were planning on teaming with Sprint.

Dish is in a similar situation. They are proposing to convert satellite spectrum for terrestrial network also, but I have no idea if they are going to supplement with satellite coverage.

Also, after researching more, satellite backhaul can provide the bandwidth for COW and SatCOLT, but would not be optimal for voice communications. There would be some issues with delays, but everything else would be fine.

If you happen to see the COWs, may you please take some good up close pictures?

yeah no problem. like I said ill be able to get right up on the thing easily at the race.

Though there are many pics online of COWs and all the different types of them online all over...but ill take some at the race still

Disclaimer: I could be wrong, but this is my take on all of that.

Lightsquared was going to convert Satellite spectrum for terrestrial and satellite use for end users. They would supplement the terrestrial network with satellite coverage. I believe all the backhaul for the network was going to be fiber/microwave. That is why they were planning on teaming with Sprint.

Dish is in a similar situation. They are proposing to convert satellite spectrum for terrestrial network also, but I have no idea if they are going to supplement with satellite coverage.

Also, after researching more, satellite backhaul can provide the bandwidth for COW and SatCOLT, but would not be optimal for voice communications. There would be some issues with delays, but everything else would be fine.

I know for a fact that only HughesNet and ViaSat, formerly WildBlue are the only primary satellite internet providers, but I am not that familiar with their type of technology and backhaul.

yeah no problem. like I said ill be able to get right up on the thing easily at the race.

Though there are many pics online of COWs and all the different types of them online all over...but ill take some at the race still

I just want a better inside look as online is not that close up. Thank you for contributing!

I know for a fact that only HughesNet and WildBlue are the only primary satellite internet providers, but I am not that familiar with their type of technology and backhaul.

I think it is pretty cost prohibitive to use satellite for backhaul. It works for something temporary like a COW in an emergency situation or otherwise where infrastructure is unavailable. For many other situations like an event (such as the races SGT was referencing) that Sprint always supplements with their COWs, I would think they would have microwave backhaul from one of their nearby towers, fiber or last mile backhaul, or pull from the facility's connection if it is sufficient.

I know when I was deployed, we had satellite internet and it was several thousand dollars per month for 1mbps. That was in 2004 though and in the middle of Baghdad... so I don't know how relevant it is in this example.

I just want a better inside look as online is not that close up.

To quote German existentialist philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche, "When you look at the COW, the COW looks back at you."

2f0892c008a00f240fe5b010.L.jpg

AJ

I think it is pretty cost prohibitive to use satellite for backhaul. It works for something temporary like a COW in an emergency situation or otherwise where infrastructure is unavailable. For many other situations like an event (such as the races SGT was referencing) that Sprint always supplements with their COWs, I would think they would have microwave backhaul from one of their nearby towers, fiber or last mile backhaul, or pull from the facility's connection if it is sufficient.

I know when I was deployed, we had satellite internet and it was several thousand dollars per month for 1mbps. That was in 2004 though and in the middle of Baghdad... so I don't know how relevant it is in this example.

How will it work if some catastrophic event occurs like a hurricane or a tornado? It can get electricity from generators, but It has to get backhaul from somewhere. Right?

How will it work if some catastrophic event occurs like a hurricane or a tornado? It can get electricity from generators, but It has to get backhaul from somewhere. Right?

Correct, like I said, "It works for something temporary like a COW in an emergency situation or otherwise where infrastructure is unavailable."

Another point is that if use VoIP, it only use about 100 Kbps of bandwidth, not much compared to a video chat. How much bandwidth does cellular voice runs on?

1xRTT is 153kbps max. That is what all of Sprint's cellular voice runs on.