Analyst predicts Sprint to spend $500M annually on small cells, 25K by 2019

payturr

Interestingly, the Macquarie analysts estimated that Sprint will spend around $40,000 in equipment and $30,000 in prepayment of around 30 percent of the $100,000 construction costs of small cells, which would result in $280 million in spending on small cells overall in 2015. The analysts said that spending would rise to $357 million in 2018. The analysts arrived at their forecast of $500 million per year by adding in the cost of labor and other fees.

So the equipment is $40k but what's the extra $100k of construction costs?

Then there's additional labor?!?

40k in equipment and 30k in prepayment for 70k. The additional 30 k is probably for labor. There is also the possibility that the 30k prepayment is there to protect the vendor against cost overruns. I would go so far as to say that I don't think the average cost per site would be 100k.

40k in equipment and 30k in prepayment for 70k. The additional 30 k is probably for labor. There is also the possibility that the 30k prepayment is there to protect the vendor against cost overruns. I would go so far as to say that I don't think the average cost per site would be 100k.

It's $30k in prepayment for $100k s

It's $30k in prepayment for $100k s

Yes but as I said, I do not think the total cost will be 100k but that is the assumption so...

40k in equipment

30k in prepayments

and 30k in what we will call misc

Each of these is its own expense/liability line.

So the 30k in prepayment is totally independent from the 40k in equipment.

Yes but as I said, I do not think the total cost will be 100k but that is the assumption so...

40k in equipment

30k in prepayments

and 30k in what we will call misc

Each of these is its own expense/liability line.

So the 30k in prepayment is totally independent from the 40k in equipment.

Article is clear that $30k is prepayment for the $100k which will be eventually paid

I wish they would focus also on rural coverage expansion outside Sprint's native footprint.

Or even just expanding to suburbs that have popped up around existing covered cities.

• Like 3

Article is clear that $30k is prepayment for the $100k which will be eventually paid

Yes. You are not getting what I am saying. I included the 30k prepayment in the total 100k. But remember. It is a PREPAYMENT. Meaning that it does not affect your total liability. So in the grand scheme of things Sprint will be putting up 70k of the projected total cost of 100k.

I wish they would focus also on rural coverage expansion outside Sprint's native footprint.

Or even just expanding to suburbs that have popped up around existing covered cities.

Ehh IMO Sprint urban city coverage needs a lot of help too.  I think in a lot of areas, the coverage is not dense enough.   I think for now, Sprint should just rely on 800 MHz CDMA/LTE deployment and CCA/RRPP partners to help with rural coverage.  

Sprint is losing its customers in the urban cities of major markets because the voice/data coverage has been piss poor so I think the strategy on focusing on urban cities to improve both of these things is what is needed to stop the bleeding.

• Like 1

Ehh IMO Sprint urban city coverage needs a lot of help too.  I think in a lot of areas, the coverage is not dense enough.   I think for now, Sprint should just rely on 800 MHz CDMA/LTE deployment and CCA/RRPP partners to help with rural coverage.  

Sprint is losing its customers in the urban cities of major markets because the voice/data coverage has been piss poor so I think the strategy on focusing on urban cities to improve both of these things is what is needed to stop the bleeding.

maybe, but the expansion of suburbs is HUGE in a lot of areas.....

and as a general rule of thumb...thats where the families with KIDS are... and what do kids want???  Phones...

but if mom and dad are pissed at the service....well then no 3-6 lines per family....not to mention any tab add ons....(which of course is where they are trying to add lines)

Much like a handful of businesses around here, that i told managers in other stores for years, before they expanded to my city.....IT WOULD BE PACKED......and then when they finally make the move...yea well....always busy....

the suburbs around here, have new neighborhoods going in at an avg house cost in the $300s..... and its expanding into areas that has piss poor coverage...and thats putting it nicely

perfect example    https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=western%20and%20sunset%2C%20kaysville%2C%20ut

look how close the closest tower is.....

also

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=gentile+and+bluff%2C+syracuse%2C+ut

• Like 2