Sprint, Dish will start fixed TD-LTE tests within a month

mhammett

That's weird. Robert has been saying for a few months now that the pilot has been up and running.

The pilot has been up and running. This is the official launch, but of course only in one market. Sprint needs to take advantage of their spectrum depth where it makes sense.

Edited by bigsnake49

I hope they bring this nationwide at some point. I'm currently paying $86 a month for 10 mbps dsl. That includes the mandatory land line which I rarely use as well. $30 a month would be great, especially since I already have Dish. They don't say anything about data caps though which would be necessary to make an informed decision.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I am interested in the technical details of this. Do they have to put up new antennas and RRH's with different downtilt and power budget? Or are they using the regular 8T8R setup?

Edited by bigsnake49

That's weird. Robert has been saying for a few months now that the pilot has been up and running.

This is apparently "Phase 2" of the trial. I haven't heard anything about a data cap, so I'm assuming there isn't one for now, since "the primary objective of these trials is to test the business model, i.e. how many customers can you adequately support in how much spectrum depth." Once they get a good idea of the demand in a particular market, they can establish an official cap. I have my fingers crossed that they can do at least 100 GB, ideally 300 GB to match what Comcast is trialing.

This product will be placed just like the Verizon and AT&T product right where the most people can use it.People with no choice's will still have no choice's. We are just told to move

If Clearwire had focused their home ISP on the exurbs and rural areas underserved with broadband or unserved by broadband, they would have been much more successful with their retail model.  I don't know the extent of this deployment with DISH, but their info makes it sound like they are looking for that underserved/unserved customer.  And getting the last mile to these customers via wireless is so much more cost effective than doing it via expensive copper or fiber lines.  

Running traditional broadband down country lanes to pick up a couple of customers over a few miles is not feasible.  The infrastructure costs can never be recouped by subscriber payments.  But with wireless, you can feed a lot of them over a broad area from each sector.

It will definitely require well placed new sites in the middle of these types of exurban and rural neighborhoods.  But the subscribers there are ripe for the picking.  Even generous data tiers are better than what they have now.  Often Dial up or satellite.  And if they are real lucky, 1.5Mbps DSL.  Unlimited or useful data allotments, and these customers will hand you fistfuls of cash.

I believe this trial is being used to determine build out and marketing strategies.  As well as plan types and usages.  Maybe coming out of this with rural exurban unlimited data options.  We will see.  I used to live in these types of areas, but had to give it up because of limited connectivity options.  If this catches on and goes nationwide with DISH, I may be able to move back to the country again!

• Like 8

If Clearwire had focused their home ISP on the exurbs and rural areas underserved with broadband or unserved by broadband, they would have been much more successful with their retail model. I don't know the extent of this deployment with DISH, but their info makes it sound like they are looking for that underserved/unserved customer. And getting the last mile to these customers via wireless is so much more cost effective than doing it via expensive copper or fiber lines.

Running traditional broadband down country lanes to pick up a couple of customers over a few miles is not feasible. The infrastructure costs can never be recouped by subscriber payments. But with wireless, you can feed a lot of them over a broad area from each sector.

It will definitely require well placed new sites in the middle of these types of exurban and rural neighborhoods. But the subscribers there are ripe for the picking. Even generous data tiers are better than what they have now. Often Dial up or satellite. And if they are real lucky, 1.5Mbps DSL. Unlimited or useful data allotments, and these customers will hand you fistfuls of cash.

I believe this trial is being used to determine build out and marketing strategies. As well as plan types and usages. Maybe coming out of this with rural exurban unlimited data options. We will see. I used to live in these types of areas, but had to give it up because of limited connectivity options. If this catches on and goes nationwide with DISH, I may be able to move back to the country again!

If I wasn't about to be able to finally order DSL from Verizon next month I'd be super interested in this.

I know I've mentioned it before in a few places, but PA has legislation in place for universal broadband deployment. All telcos must offer DSL to all customers by 12/31/2015. And of course, Verizon is the only one left to complete it. I filled out petitions with my neighbors and we sped the process up, although it still took two years.

Our deployment deadline is 10/25, less than a month. I've enjoyed watching the progress of the RT and DSLAM construction around my area.

I think this type of service would also appeal to those who only have one choice. Many rural townships around here either have one cable co, due to franchise agreements, or Verizon DSL as their only options.

• Like 1

Down here in Ceciltuky MD below the canal some people have Comcast,Cecilton has some DSL that is all but un-usable,the rest have nothing. Sprints hell everybody tower spacing down here are to far apart right now for band 41 work down here.Even Verizon using 750mhz will not let you get their fixed product if your in extended coverge.If you more that 2 miles away form Verizon's tower your s++t out of luck.

Glad to hear about this and hope something comes of this. The house we are going to move to is not served by any ISP, AT&T doesn't feel the need to service the subdivision with anything but phone.

Check broadbandmap.gov and WISPA.org to see if anything is nearby.
  • Like 2

Check broadbandmap.gov and WISPA.org to see if anything is nearby.

Thanks, I knew about broadbandmap.gov and it lists AT&T and Charter but neither actually serve the address with internet.  I may have found something with the WISPA site though, will have to reach out to them and see if they indeed do cover the location.

Thanks, I knew about broadbandmap.gov and it lists AT&T and Charter but neither actually serve the address with internet. I may have found something with the WISPA site though, will have to reach out to them and see if they indeed do cover the location.

Make sure you reach out to the WISP and not WISPA (the trade association). On broadbandmap try clicking around your area to see what other WISPs may be around.
  • Like 1

One major question I have about this plan is how does the new 8T8R deployment hinder this in exurban/rural areas? With the focus of Spark deployment focusing inwards on cities it will take some time for the more rural towers, which would benefit from this, to get the 2.6 equipment and so this isn't likely to expand too quickly, right?