Keep a Word, Drop a Word #5

S4GRU

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• large.unreadcontent.png.6ef00db54e758d06

• gallery_1_23_9202.png

• Totally agree.  In my county and surrounding counties, TM did not place n-41 on every site.  When I look at the sites in question, I probably would have not placed it there either.  I can find just a few with n-71 only and in most of those cases if you live there and know the probable usage of the residents, you would not do a full upgrade on those sites.  One site in particular is set up to force feed n-71 through a long tunnel on the Turnpike.  No stopping allowed in the tunnel. No stores, movie theaters, bathrooms, so n41 would be a waste.    n25 is not really needed either, so it is not there.  The tunnel is going through & under a mountain with more black bears than people.  TM was smart.  Get good coverage in the tunnel but do not waste many many thousands of dollars with extra unused spectrum. I also see sites with only n71 & n25.  Again this makes sense to me.  Depending on what county we are talking about, they moved much of their b25 from LTE to nr.  Some counties have more n25 than a neighboring county, but luckily, it is plenty everywhere.   When you are in a very rural area, n41 can run up the bills and then be barely used.  I am NOT finding sites that should have had n41 but TM failed to provide it.  They may have to come back later in a few years and upgrade the site to n41.  However, we just may eventually see the last little piece on Band 25 leave LTE and move to n25. I am not sure if the satellite to phone service is using band 25 G block as LTE or nr. We also can possibly have at least some AWS move from LTE to nr at some point.  Yes, everybody wants n41. it is not justified in some cases.  When I travel, I desire some decent service along the entire route but it does not have to be 1 or 2 gig download.   If I can get 50/5 on a speedtest with data that will flow and not stutter, I am very happy. Yes, they will swap out the USC gear.  TM needs to match their existing network. The USCC equipment did the job for years, but it is time to retire it.
    • Lots of time if you can get close to the pole, you will see a sticky label on the box that is low enough to read. Most of the time it warns of RF exposure but also it may have a toll free number to call if there is an issue. Sometimes there is a power company meter with the name of the user. I would be surprised if there was nothing there to help identify it.  Thinking further, if this is multi-Tenant oDAS, then maybe you might only see some name like Crown Castle or maybe even a department in the city government.   An app on your phone may show the carrier(s)
    • I found a multi-carrier oDAS node at the corner of Bushwick Ave & Cedar St. You can see an upgraded Verizon macro deployment behind the node, and T-Mobile has a fully upgraded site only a block away. So, the only thing that makes sense is that this is an AT&T node with LTE+mmWave (or maybe C-Band).
    • I tried going into a Boost Mobile store and they wouldn't sell me a rainbow SIM card, said that it would be dead as soon as I put it in the Moto Edge 2023... which I know is bs... 
    • They didn't do all 2.5 with the Sprint merger, so I'm not sure why they would do that for USCC in areas arguably more rural. But I'm 100% sure they'll swap out the gear. - Trip