Level 3 to buy TW Telecom $5.7B

bigsnake49

I thought that TW Telecom was a pretty big Sprint backbone customer. Plus it takes out a competitor for metro fiber loops out. Either way, it's not good for Sprint.

http://www.denverpost.com/business/ci_25971434/level-3-acquire-tw-telecom-5-7-billion

And how does this announcement make it "not good for Sprint"?

And how does this announcement make it "not good for Sprint"?

Well first the fact that they were a customer of Sprint's Internet backbone and now they won't be and second because it will take out another supplier of backhaul out of the market.

Well first the fact that they were a customer of Sprint's Internet backbone and now they won't be and second because it will take out another supplier of backhaul out of the market.

I thought it was TW cable business that provides backhaul in areas, not TW Telecom?

I thought it was TW cable business that provides backhaul in areas, not TW Telecom?

TW telecom has quite a few metro fiber loops all over the staes. Whether they provide any backhaul to Sprint or not I am not aware.

TW telecom has quite a few metro fiber loops all over the staes. Whether they provide any backhaul to Sprint or not I am not aware.

I'm still not understanding how this negatively affects Sprint.

Maybe Sprint can sweeten the deal.  TW Telecom provides services to businesses and it would allow it back in the wire-line business.  Many of our business clients uses TW Telecom in San Diego for fiber and internet services.

I'm still not understanding how this negatively affects Sprint.

It eliminates a competitor in the backhaul business, so prices for backhaul are expected to rise, and it also removes a customer of Sprint (TW Telecom used Sprint's Internet backbone) so it reduces revenue to Sprint.

Edited by bigsnake49