AT&T launching loyalty program.

legion125

I would love for the premier program to return. I miss the yearly upgrades

I lost my upgrade last month thanks to the end of Premier

Sent from Joshs Evo Shift 4G using Tapatalk for free from GetJar!

I would love for the premier program to return. I miss the yearly upgrades :(

I don't anticipate this will ever return. When Sprint started the Premier program back in February of 2009 there was really only one major smartphone, the iPhone and subsidies on other phones were relatively small. . Sprint started Premier in an effort to stop or slow iPhone defections. When the real smartphone revolution hit with the Androids Sprint really felt the budget pinch that the Premier program caused. Enter the heavier subsidized iPhone and the program had to disappear.

The end of the program had to come even without the iPhone due to the increasing costs of the more and more sophisticated Androids. That isn't to say that some sort of a loyalty program won't come back to Sprint, but I don't think we will see the annual upgrade part, at least in the same format it was in the old program.

• Like 2

I lost my upgrade last month thanks to the end of Premier

Sent from Joshs Evo Shift 4G using Tapatalk for free from GetJar!

I would call and complain. I did about a year ago (when my dad had only had his phone 3 months) and got an upgrade reset so he could get a Nexus S.

If the regular customer service people can't get it straight try this number (it works wonders), (877) 775-4886.

• Like 1

I would call and complain. I did about a year ago (when my dad had only had his phone 3 months) and got an upgrade reset so he could get a Nexus S.

If the regular customer service people can't get it straight try this number (it works wonders), (877) 775-4886.

Thanks. If I get some extra money soon, I might just try that.

I dont think yearly upgrades would ever come back... but, packaging the ability to "buyout" a contract to upgrade together with waived activation fees every two years would be a great way to flaunt "loyalty has its perks!!" Without costing sprint much

Good idea. Even a $5 GC would be a bone. Keeping customers is so much easier & cheaper than trying to get new ones. I marvel at how Sprint is wiling to let long and good standing customers walk away. I wonder if Sprint is drawing so many people and raking in the cash with the iPhone that it feels these are acceptable losses.

Good idea. Even a $5 GC would be a bone. Keeping customers is so much easier & cheaper than trying to get new ones. I marvel at how Sprint is wiling to let long and good standing customers walk away. I wonder if Sprint is drawing so many people and raking in the cash with the iPhone that it feels these are acceptable losses.

You folks gotta quit pinning Sprint's motivation on greed. Sprint is trying to survive. They are not in the position to be greedy even if they wanted to be.

Sprint Debt to Equity = 1.77

Verizon Debt to Equity = 0.64

AT&T Debt to Equity = 0.61

Sprint Operating Margin = 0.64%

Verizon Operating Margin = 16.99%

AT&T Operating Margin = 12.87%

Sprint EBITDA = 5.07B

Verizon EBITDA = 35.33B

AT&T EBITDA = 34.69B

With the iPhone, Sprint feels it is near product parity with the other carriers. With unlimited data, Sprint feels it has a competitive advantage. Without upgrading its network, Sprint feels that it is at a competitive disadvantage. I think Sprint is right.

If Sprint does not have a decent network by the end of 2013 I believe it will be facing bankruptcy reorganization. (However, I have never made money on the market so what do I know?).

Personally, I would like to see S4GRU be a place where we talk about wireless technology progress (with a focus on Sprint as we have a vested interest) rather than where we opine on the other executive decisions it makes.

You folks gotta quit pinning Sprint's motivation on greed. Sprint is trying to survive. They are not in the position to be greedy even if they wanted to be.

Sprint Debt to Equity = 1.77

Verizon Debt to Equity = 0.64

AT&T Debt to Equity = 0.61

Sprint Operating Margin = 0.64%

Verizon Operating Margin = 16.99%

AT&T Operating Margin = 12.87%

Sprint EBITDA = 5.07B

Verizon EBITDA = 35.33B

AT&T EBITDA = 34.69B

With the iPhone, Sprint feels it is near product parity with the other carriers. With unlimited data, Sprint feels it has a competitive advantage. Without upgrading its network, Sprint feels that it is at a competitive disadvantage. I think Sprint is right.

If Sprint does not have a decent network by the end of 2013 I believe it will be facing bankruptcy reorganization. (However, I have never made money on the market so what do I know?).

Personally, I would like to see S4GRU be a place where we talk about wireless technology progress (with a focus on Sprint as we have a vested interest) rather than where we opine on the other executive decisions it makes.

I don't disagree about Sprints financial situation, My concern is how it applies it's limited resources to attract and/or maintain customers. I'll use some lose figures as an example. It may take Sprint $500 to attract a new customer via promo's, advertising, education, time spent w/reps, etc while to keep a current customer it may only need to spend $25-100 by throwing a renewal incentive such as eliminating or reducing activation fee's or as I mentioned before and cheap GC or something else.

Sprint doesn't have to give the farm away as in the past, but a little something goes a long way with most consumers. Some have even commented on this site about how cheap Sprint could keep them. Most of us on this site don't cost Sprint money to renew, we do our research and usually find the best deals without using Sprint resources as a new customer would. This is what concerns me about Sprint's "take it of leave it" attitude.

I agree with your sentiment. A recurring credit adds up to hundreds of dollars, though. Perhaps it would be better to remove barriers to staying like the silly "upgrade" fee... Only if you buy through Sprint of course.

In any case, Sprint still feels that it is the better value proposition for most customers, especially with the perceived value of unlimited data.

One last thought. The cost of acquiring a customer versus keeping one in a market of 3 or 4 major vendors may not be all that different. So where we may guess the difference is $100, it may only be $10.

I wouldn't even contemplate the upgrade fee into my decision to stay with sprint to be honest....now crank back up 10yr customers yearly upgrades and we are talking...or least let it be reg upgrade plus like 50bucks or something...

I just don't think there that many 10yr customers that'd be cruzing to upgrade every year but those that would, would deff stay with sprint in long haul for that...

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

In that case, I think that the subsidy costs would far outweigh the cost of attracting a new customer from AT&T or Verizon.

Though we are talking loyalty not new customer attractions...

The goal from my standpoint is to reward those that stuck around forever and retaining customers during the tough times...

Though we are talking loyalty not new customer attractions...

The goal from my standpoint is to reward those that stuck around forever and retaining customers during the tough times...

I'm sorry for not being clear. The premise is that it is cheaper to keep an existing customer than it is to attract a new one. What I am saying is that the cost of subsidizing a new phone annually is very likely much, much more than the cost of losing that customer and attracting a new one.

Also, there are few, if any, customers that stayed with Sprint out of "loyalty". They stayed out of self-interest.

I'm sorry for not being clear. The premise is that it is cheaper to keep an existing customer than it is to attract a new one. What I am saying is that the cost of subsidizing a new phone annually is very likely much, much more than the cost of losing that customer and attracting a new one.

Also, there are few, if any, customers that stayed with Sprint out of "loyalty". They stayed out of self-interest.

Agreed but that's also assuming they are attracting one to replace the one leaving...if they knew they could easily replace every customer that leaves with a new one then it wouldn't even be a discussion...its about what it costs them to retain the customer for the year versus losing them period.

And I agree they might not be able to cover the subsidy over the course of one year on average but they likely could cover the cost of at least half the subsidy over the course of a year...half the subsidy offered for tenured customers would be a step imho...