Verizon already scheming for spectrum

Rawvega

Even though no deal has even been formally announced.

http://news.yahoo.com/verizon-ceo-says-u-may-demand-spectrum-sales-182049060--finance.html

McAdam suggested regulators would only approve any Sprint/T-Mobile deal if the companies involved agreed to sell a lot of their spectrum as a condition for approval.

"I'll look forward to all the spectrum that'll be divested from that group," as a result of such a deal, McAdam said.

Let them get into bed with dish.

If Sprint and TMO were to merge they would have how much sub 1 gig spectrum? Half what at&t has? Yes they would have a lot of higher dial spectrum. What verizon wants is cheap spectrum and to hurt Sprint. Tmobiles spectrum is pretty much committed, Sprint does have a fair amount of spectrum but the majority of it is 2500mhz. Give them 20mhz of that, fragmented if possible and charge them $8bn. 

• Like 2

I dont think the feds will allow that merger to happen anyways. It is so obvious McAdam would love to grab that T-MOBILE AWS spectrum. Now in fairness I would force verizon to divest some of the 850mhz cellular spectrum.

• Like 2

Somebody should say to Lowell McAdam, "I'll look forward to you being fractured into pieces just like your anticompetitive mother."

AJ

• Like 8

I wonder how all of this will play out next year when the 600 MHz auction takes place. I know Verizon and AT&T are dying to get their hands on that spectrum to offload a bunch of their LTE load on that band. 

There should be some serious rural build out requirements for 600MHz, IMO. 600MHz is better used as a rural band anyway. With its strong propagation, it is well suited for long stretches of highway and the countryside. Where a tower that's signal reaches 20 miles from each sector would not be overburdened.

600MHz would not be a very good urban option. Especially a dense urban option. In an urban setting, it really couldn't be used on every existing site. And then if you spaced them out greater, then the capacity gets thin and it's easy to overwhelm. Especially considering that 600MHz is currently in 6MHz blocks. Will likely be a lot of carriers in increments of 5. Most likely a 5 or 10MHz wide TDD carrier. Also, 600 spectrum will be less available in urban areas and very plentiful in rural areas.

A 10MHz wide TDD carrier would be awful in Manhattan only on every other site, or every second site. The capacity would be a fraction of one 20x20 AWS carrier. Not even a tenth. 600MHz would only be useful in urban areas as an overlay that's use was strictly controlled by the network that no one would be on it except as a last resort.

600MHz is not good for a capacity overlay at all. It is more about coverage.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• large.unreadcontent.png.6ef00db54e758d06

• gallery_1_23_9202.png

• Uploaded data without issues on Friday. Now with the latest update I am getting "Cluster #1 skipped: invalid file format detected. File exported for inspection." Doing same with all other clusters. Did this on 4 phones in a row.  Seems to work on s24 ultra just fine. On s21 ultra it says "web data upload failed. No data to send" although 8800 records were displayed. Now gives same error as above. I have not sent the data from 3 other phones.  All should have latest update.
    • After several months of testing, an update to SignalCheck Pro is rolling out on Google Play. It may take up to 48 hours to become available for download. Notable changes include: Added option to display site notes for NSA 5G-NR cells. Enabling this new option (Preferences > Display Settings > Show NSA 5G-NR Site Notes) will cause the app to make an "educated guess" as to what the most appropriate site note is linked to the connected NSA 5G cell, using the PCI and the device location. If it finds an existing entry that is likely to be relevant, it will display the note along with the distance from where the strongest signal from that cell was logged. While connected to NSA 5G, these notes cannot be edited; a valid NCI is required to add/edit notes and that information is not available on NSA connections.   Added option to log cells with missing/invalid PLMN (such as NSA 5G-NR cells). Users asked for the ability to log data for NSA 5G, so a new option (Preferences > Logger Settings > Log Cells with Missing PLMN) will permit this.   Added option to display LTE info above 5G-NR info. Enabling this new option (Preferences > Display Settings > Show LTE Cells Above 5G-NR Cells) shows the same information that is currently displayed, but moves the LTE information above the 5G-NR information. Other changes: Code optimizations and enhancements. Improved Android 15 compatibility. Overhauled Purchases module. Resolved force closes impacting some GSM/LTE connections. Resolved issue with improper 5G-NR PLMN display when NR/LTE PLMNs did not match. Resolved issue with improper PLMN display with single-digit MNCs. Resolved issue with incorrect 5G-NR bands displayed on some devices due to Android bug. Resolved issue with incorrect number of neighbor cells displayed when some cells were unknown. Resolved issue with missing 5G-NR data when sector display is enabled. Resolved issue with saving 5G-NR site notes when NR/LTE PLMNs did not match. Resolved issue with settings to log missing GCI/NCI/TAC/PLMN being ignored. Resolved issues with web data export function. Updated internal libraries. Updated provider database. Updated target API to Android 15. I appreciate all of your support, and a big thank you to the members of the Beta Crew that help with testing and feedback!
    • Oct security update is out.
    • Stopped by again today and the antennas are up but it isn't live just yet. If other Sprint conversions are anything to go by it'll likely take about a month for the site to go live.
    • It is an Android bug that was reportedly fixed in August 2023 but definitely has not been. I have implemented numerous workarounds in SCP to correct the NR bands the app displays. The OS ignores the possibility that many NR-ARFCNs are valid across multiple bands.. it reports the lowest NR band that is valid for the current ARFCN. In your example, channel 432530 can be n1, n65, or n66.. so the OS just (lazily) reports n1.   Awesome, thanks! I will add an n65 override also.