Verizon already scheming for spectrum

Rawvega

Even though no deal has even been formally announced.

http://news.yahoo.com/verizon-ceo-says-u-may-demand-spectrum-sales-182049060--finance.html

McAdam suggested regulators would only approve any Sprint/T-Mobile deal if the companies involved agreed to sell a lot of their spectrum as a condition for approval.

"I'll look forward to all the spectrum that'll be divested from that group," as a result of such a deal, McAdam said.

Let them get into bed with dish.

If Sprint and TMO were to merge they would have how much sub 1 gig spectrum? Half what at&t has? Yes they would have a lot of higher dial spectrum. What verizon wants is cheap spectrum and to hurt Sprint. Tmobiles spectrum is pretty much committed, Sprint does have a fair amount of spectrum but the majority of it is 2500mhz. Give them 20mhz of that, fragmented if possible and charge them $8bn. 

• Like 2

I dont think the feds will allow that merger to happen anyways. It is so obvious McAdam would love to grab that T-MOBILE AWS spectrum. Now in fairness I would force verizon to divest some of the 850mhz cellular spectrum.

• Like 2

Somebody should say to Lowell McAdam, "I'll look forward to you being fractured into pieces just like your anticompetitive mother."

AJ

• Like 8

I wonder how all of this will play out next year when the 600 MHz auction takes place. I know Verizon and AT&T are dying to get their hands on that spectrum to offload a bunch of their LTE load on that band. 

There should be some serious rural build out requirements for 600MHz, IMO. 600MHz is better used as a rural band anyway. With its strong propagation, it is well suited for long stretches of highway and the countryside. Where a tower that's signal reaches 20 miles from each sector would not be overburdened.

600MHz would not be a very good urban option. Especially a dense urban option. In an urban setting, it really couldn't be used on every existing site. And then if you spaced them out greater, then the capacity gets thin and it's easy to overwhelm. Especially considering that 600MHz is currently in 6MHz blocks. Will likely be a lot of carriers in increments of 5. Most likely a 5 or 10MHz wide TDD carrier. Also, 600 spectrum will be less available in urban areas and very plentiful in rural areas.

A 10MHz wide TDD carrier would be awful in Manhattan only on every other site, or every second site. The capacity would be a fraction of one 20x20 AWS carrier. Not even a tenth. 600MHz would only be useful in urban areas as an overlay that's use was strictly controlled by the network that no one would be on it except as a last resort.

600MHz is not good for a capacity overlay at all. It is more about coverage.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 2