iansltx

I got one of their hotspots in yesterday. The promise of a discounted MiFi (I assume it's a MiFi) running on data that doesn't expire (vs. FreedomPop), with 100MB of data for every person I sign up, was enough for me to get an active Clearwire device again.

As expected, the hotspot is the same as the Clear Spot Voyager, with similar restrictions (I maxed out at 7.5 Mbps down, 1.5 Mbps up). But Karma does authentication with the hotspot per-connection rather than at the network level, so I was up and running as soon as I connected to Facebook (I already have a Karma account from using the service via someone else's hotspot).

$14/GB is a little steep for WiMAX data, sure. But I won't be paying Karma any more money for months since data doesn't expire, I won't be using the data much, and I'm planning on getting a fair number of other people signed up for the service. So it'll work :)

• Like 1

I got one of their hotspots in yesterday. The promise of a discounted MiFi (I assume it's a MiFi) running on data that doesn't expire (vs. FreedomPop), with 100MB of data for every person I sign up, was enough for me to get an active Clearwire device again.

As expected, the hotspot is the same as the Clear Spot Voyager, with similar restrictions (I maxed out at 7.5 Mbps down, 1.5 Mbps up). But Karma does authentication with the hotspot per-connection rather than at the network level, so I was up and running as soon as I connected to Facebook (I already have a Karma account from using the service via someone else's hotspot).

$14/GB is a little steep for WiMAX data, sure. But I won't be paying Karma any more money for months since data doesn't expire, I won't be using the data much, and I'm planning on getting a fair number of other people signed up for the service. So it'll work :)

When they get their LTE modems out pm me, I think I might pick one of those up.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I was looking at the website. Once they have an LTE hotspot, I am totally in. WiMAX is so poor here, so I can't justify $99 for a modem. LTE penetrates just about every building I've been in and is available nearly everywhere I've been. I can see that being extremely useful for anyone to use. Definitely keeping my eye on this. If not, I've been keeping my eye on freedom pop, as well. I am just looking for a low cost way to be able to use my wife's iPod touch or bring a tablet along once in a while for email and simple app usage while on vacation. I just can't justify the high cost of adding hotspot to my Sprint account. If they offered something like 0-$5/month for 100 Megs, that'd be pretty cool. I don't look to go overboard with a hotspot, but just be able to use a few iOS only apps once in a blue moon or check a website when I am away.

Edit: Look what I just found, this is crazy awesome news. I may be getting this after all.

http://blog.yourkarma.com/karma-on-the-sprint-lte-network/

I was looking at the website. Once they have an LTE hotspot, I am totally in. WiMAX is so poor here, so I can't justify $99 for a modem. LTE penetrates just about every building I've been in and is available nearly everywhere I've been. I can see that being extremely useful for anyone to use. Definitely keeping my eye on this. If not, I've been keeping my eye on freedom pop, as well. I am just looking for a low cost way to be able to use my wife's iPod touch or bring a tablet along once in a while for email and simple app usage while on vacation. I just can't justify the high cost of adding hotspot to my Sprint account. If they offered something like 0-$5/month for 100 Megs, that'd be pretty cool. I don't look to go overboard with a hotspot, but just be able to use a few iOS only apps once in a blue moon or check a website when I am away.

Edit: Look what I just found, this is crazy awesome news. I may be getting this after all.

Sorry but one little Windows update and your 100MBs are history. Just watch your phone (any standard phone regardless if Windows, Android or Apple) and the amount needed to keep every app up to date

Sorry but one little Windows update and your 100MBs are history. Just watch your phone (any standard phone regardless if Windows, Android or Apple) and the amount needed to keep every app up to date

Not sure what Windows phone update you are thinking of, but most iOS and Android apps are only a couple of megs in size and many of them only use a handful of megs. I'm not looking for an exclusive Internet connection. I am talking about pulling out the iPad once in a while to browse a Web page or check some emails. My wife has an app on her iPod that is iOS only that we use for our trips to Disney that allows you to browse all the menues and such. None of that would use more than a few megs here and there. I'm not looking to do bit torrent or hack the NSA database with a hot spot.

Not sure what Windows phone update you are thinking of, but most iOS and Android apps are only a couple of megs in size and many of them only use a handful of megs. I'm not looking for an exclusive Internet connection. I am talking about pulling out the iPad once in a whole to browse a Web page or check some emails. My wife has an app on her iPod that is iOS only that we use for our trips to Disney that allows you to browse all the menues and such. None of that would use more than a few megs here and there. I'm not looking to do bit torrent or hack the NSA database with a hot spot.

I just updated two apps in the morning and both were about 40MB. So that would be 40% of your 100MB free. Just do yourself the favor. You can test this via Ting or install a data counter on your phone and you see what you use.