Got an LTE device - Wary of Unlimited Data now

burnout8488

Wireless data is a shared resource.  You have to recognize that and behave appropriately.  Otherwise, you are the pig at the trough that hogs the food and snorts at the others.

AJ

makes sense. B)

If you are using the data from apps on your smartphone, you never have to worry. Start breaking the T&C's by unauthorized tethering or hotspotting, then high usages are going to get you in trouble.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4

Say someone were to run Netflix 24/7 on their LTE phone, solely for the purpose of being a data-troll. Sprint is allowed intervention at that point, right? (Maybe at the 50-75Gb point?) 

Say someone were to run Netflix 24/7 on their LTE phone, solely for the purpose of being a data-troll. Sprint is allowed intervention at that point, right? (Maybe at the 50-75Gb point?)

I won't answer that question. If someone does that they deserved to be canceled and charged the ETF. That's asinine.

If you are legitimately using data on your smartphone, you need not worry.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4

• Like 1

You want to get pissed? This is what an asshole can do in a month. I want to stress this was not me. But I sadly do know the guy, he was unemployed that month and had no internet.

Sprint did not flag or even note his account about the usuage.

He did it mostly on youtube and Netflix with some torrenting thrown in good measure.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 4

uploadfromtaptalk1380340761726.jpg

Your contract defines what you may or may not do. I wouldn't go so far as to call someone a pig for taking advantage of a contract they struck with Sprint, a sophisticated party fully aware of the terms of the bargain and capable of monitoring usage. Just don't be surprised when Sprint exercises it's contractual right to manage traffic when you use your service in unusual and/or unanticipated ways.

• Like 2

For anyone familiar with Sprint T's and C's, can Sprint just go and terminate someone for any good reason they want to make up?

Yes

We can, without notice, suspend or terminate any Service at any time for any reason. For example, we can suspend or terminate any Service for the following: (a) late payment; ( B) exceeding an Account Spending Limit; © harassing/threatening/abusing/offending our employees or agents; (d) providing false or inaccurate information; (e) interfering with our operations; (f) using/suspicion of using Services in any manner restricted by or inconsistent with the Agreement and Policies; (g) breaching, failing to follow, or abusing the Agreement or Policies; (h) providing false, inaccurate, dated, or unverifiable identification or credit information or becoming insolvent or bankrupt; (i) modifying a Device from its manufacturer specifications (for example, rooting the device); (j) failing to use our Services for an extended period of time; (k) failing to maintain an active Device in connection with our Services; or (l) if we believe the action protects our interests, any customer's interests, or our networks.

Also note...

Specific Terms & Restrictions On Using Data Services
In addition to the rules for using all of our other Services, unless we identify the Service or Device that you have selected as specifically intended for that purpose (for example, wireless routers, Data Link, etc.), you can't use our data Services: (1) with server devices or host computer applications or other systems that drive continuous, heavy traffic or data sessions; (2) as a substitute or backup for private lines or frame relay connections; or (3) for any other unintended use as we determine in our sole discretion. We reserve the right to limit, suspend, or constrain any heavy, continuous data usage that adversely impacts our networks performances or hinders access to our networks. If your Services include web or data access, you also can't use your Device as a modem for computers or other equipment, unless we identify the Service or Device you have selected as specifically intended for that purpose (for example, with "phone as modem" plans, Sprint Mobile Broadband card plans, wireless router plans, etc.).

FYI: They specifically call out rooting as a reason they can terminate. Also mentioned: not using your service for a long time.

This is a subject I have been carefully considering recently. I opted to stay with tmo and take their unlimited internet but sprint was also an option (and I will likely be on sprint in 2 years if they have NV permits done on Hawaii by then lol). 

So how much is too much? Firstly they sell it as unlimited, in reality it is unmetered with usage restrictions but unmetered doesn't sound as good to the bods in marketing with their square glasses and turtle necks so they lobby to be allowed to use the phrase unlimited, then put limits on it?? So what are the limits? In the T&C there are outright limits, such as no tethering etc, and vague limits such as 'actions which degrade the level of service'. Honestly, I agree these make sense, they are limits so therefore the plan is not truly unlimited, so to clarify to some degree you may get help from their adverts. In tmo's adverts they say, and I quote verbatim "100% on. Great for watching movies, as many as you want, all day, everyday" . So if that is what you want, at least on tmo, they say it's ok. There is a catch and it is a sensible one, when there is congestion, set amount data plans over the base 2GB option (but not including it) will get priority. I am not as familiar with Sprint's position, but if they tell you outright you can do it, you can do it, otherwise don't extract the urine :) If sprint starts booting people for using too much data for legitimate reasons it will make them look bad, they will weight this against the damage to the network and attempt to come up with a middle course, a way of limiting abuse (i.e. qos).

Legitimately and non maliciously using a lot of data does not make you a Bad Person ™, deliberately using a lot solely for the purpose of seeing how high you can push you bill, perhaps is another story :) If someone is unemployed for a month and watches a lot of hulu and netflix at the beach, you were told outright (at least on tmo) you could do it, why shouldn't you feel that is ok?

I think Sprint is in a great position capacity wise, at least post NV \ NV2 to deliver a sane unmetered experience to customers. Is there a set or even vague range at which point you should worry? My guess, at least for now, is that it would apply far more to what you do rather than how much you do it. Maybe they will bring in QOS in the future if they don't have it yet, they are already talking about 1mbps limits on video streams so the tacit admission there is stream all you want but expect it to be limited bitrate wise.  

PS none of the above comments are in any way intended to suggest one provider is better than another. Unless we are talking about the evil big two, in which case they club baby seals. I just included the tmo info because it clearly illustrated my thinking so apologies to the mods if that was incongruent with the site rules. 

Unlimited smartphone usage is still unlimited.  To call unlimited smartphone usage not unlimited because it doesn't allow every conceivable unauthorized unlimited scenario is stupid.  Sprint allows unlimited smartphone usage and probably will not ever cancel you for that, even if you are wasteful and over consumptive.  But if you do something beyond just using a lot of data on your smartphone, like trying to do unauthorized unlimited tethering, you will likely get the boot and rightfully so.

An all you can eat buffet offers unlimited food consumption while you're there.  But you cannot take it home.  Just because you cannot violate the rules and be allowed to also have unlimited food consumption while at home (i.e. taking food home with you too) does not make the buffet not unlimited.

People who unauthorized tether their devices are scammers.  Trying to get something for nothing.  They pay for unlimited smartphone access and that is all they're entitled to.  Sprint smartphone unlimited is not a personal ISP.  Sprint offers hotspot plans for people who want that service.  It costs money.  Abusers ruin the network experience for everybody.

If people abuse unlimited, it will end.  And the abusers will be the first ones to bitch.  I'm so sick of abusers that I would prefer to change to a full per GB charge.  A straight up $10/GB.  If you only use a little, you save some money.  Want to use a lot?  You just pay your share.

Robert

• Like 2

It isn't unlimited, not that it is a huge issue, but it has limits ergo it is not unlimited. It isn't 'stupid', it's the English language. The definition is-

not limited or restricted in terms of number, quantity, or extent.

to place a limit on it, means it is not unlimited. It is unmetered for specific uses, which is fine, hell it's exactly the way it should be.

Sprint and Tmo can and should restrict the usage to preserve the service. I totally agree that they have the right to ban tethering (where a plan doesn't support it) and of course it makes sense to use wifi at home and where you can to preserve the level of service. The question was at what level of usage of the types Sprint allow will get you chucked, my answer was likely none, you would probably get QOS'd rather than kicked if your usage was within a type contractually allowed or suggested by advertising. i.e. TMO would not get very far kicking people who stream netflix 'all day long' as they explicitly state you can do it, but they can give priority to other traffic over yours. Given what I have read of Sprints terms this is what I would expect them to do. If you tether without a plan that allows it, you will get kicked, if you use 200gb of netflix in a month I would suggest you would probably find that traffic 'shaped' int he future.

As to what is right in $per GB or unlimited, Sprint choses to offer unlimited. Their game, their choice, if they cannot they should not. There are other providers who offer $ per GB and Tmo offer that as a different option with that traffic getting priority, Sprint could do this also in the future if they felt it would compliment their offerings. Frankly I see it as quite a sensible proposition. Unlimited where there is capacity, but fixed plans when you want the guarantee of top priority. Best of both worlds no?   

• Like 1

It isn't unlimited, not that it is a huge issue, but it has limits ergo it is not unlimited. It isn't 'stupid', it's the English language. The definition is-

not limited or restricted in terms of number, quantity, or extent.

to place a limit on it, means it is not unlimited. It is unmetered for specific uses, which is fine, hell it's exactly the way it should be.

Sprint and Tmo can and should restrict the usage to preserve the service. I totally agree that they have the right to ban tethering (where a plan doesn't support it) and of course it makes sense to use wifi at home and where you can to preserve the level of service. The question was at what level of usage of the types Sprint allow will get you chucked, my answer was likely none, you would probably get QOS'd rather than kicked if your usage was within a type contractually allowed or suggested by advertising. i.e. TMO would not get very far kicking people who stream netflix 'all day long' as they explicitly state you can do it, but they can give priority to other traffic over yours. Given what I have read of Sprints terms this is what I would expect them to do. If you tether without a plan that allows it, you will get kicked, if you use 200gb of netflix in a month I would suggest you would probably find that traffic 'shaped' int he future.

As to what is right in $per GB or unlimited, Sprint choses to offer unlimited. Their game, their choice, if they cannot they should not. There are other providers who offer $ per GB and Tmo offer that as a different option with that traffic getting priority, Sprint could do this also in the future if they felt it would compliment their offerings. Frankly I see it as quite a sensible proposition. Unlimited where there is capacity, but fixed plans when you want the guarantee of top priority. Best of both worlds no?

That is silly. Unlimited smartphone data is unlimited. There is no limit to the amount of smartphone data you can use. The amount of smartphone data that is allowed to be used is without limit. It is unlimited. Period. To say it's not is trying to make it something it's not. It is not unlimited tethered usage. It is also not unlimited ballet dancing, waterskiing or sumo wrestling. It is unlimited smartphone data.

So unlimited smartphone data is not unlimited smartphone data? It's not as of Sprint advertises unlimited data any way you please. And also Sprint doesn't advertise unlimited hotspot usage. They clearly say there is a fee for hotspot usage and a monthly data allotment for it.

You cannot counter anything to my point that I WOULD PREFER paying a flat rate fee per GB. It's my preference. It has nothing to do with Sprint.

This is just semantics. It's not true unlimited unless someone is allowed to steal, rape and pillage the entire network for themselves in any way they deem acceptable by their personal moral compass which sways any way the wind blows and suits their personal desires.

This topic is being shut down now. This is like the 10th time these stupid ass topics have started and it always ends up in someone being banned. Because some retard who hasn't been involved in the thread always ends up breaking into the vigorous discussion and starts dropping insults and expletives because they cannot rip off Sprint and ruin the experience of other customers because they feel our opinion somehow impacts their ability to Torrent host 100's of GB per month.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 using Tapatalk

• Like 8