Lte-Advanced

eljayyy91

Question okay from what oi understand lte advanced is (put simiply) combining different spectrum to make a larger pipe. So my question range...? Say verizon combines its 700 holdings with its aws holdings will the "larger pipe" only go as far as the aws broadcasts or does it help the 700 in fringe areas? Just curious, if so would sprint be able lte-a some 2600 to their 800 spectrum to make a fatter pipe...? Just a question :P

Question okay from what oi understand lte advanced is (put simiply) combining different spectrum to make a larger pipe. So my question range...? Say verizon combines its 700 holdings with its aws holdings will the "larger pipe" only go as far as the aws broadcasts or does it help the 700 in fringe areas? Just curious, if so would sprint be able lte-a some 2600 to their 800 spectrum to make a fatter pipe...? Just a question :P

LTE-Advanced can enable carrier aggregation between two or more like FDD or TDD bands but not between a TDD band and an FDD band, yet.

All LTE bands used in the US except for 2600 are FDD, so Verizon could aggregate their 1700/2100 AWS and upper 700mhz LTE bands but it seems unlikely as Verizon has shown little interest in deploying AWS for anything other than capacity at overloaded cell sites (like sprint originally announced it would do with Clearwire's network).

Assuming they did anyway to answer your second question, there is no benefit from carrier aggregation if only 700 Mhz is available for fringe users except for the reduction in load on the 700 band from other users (who have AWS coverage) using the AWS band.

Sprint is likely going to be aggregating multiple LTE 2600 TDD carriers to make for a faster LTE 2600 network. As for 800 SMR and 1900 PCS that remains a mystery.

I hope Sprint doesn't aggregate the 800 and 1900 MHz LTE carriers together.  I just want the 800 Mhz used only for indoors and I dno't know what happens when you aggregate them with a 1900 MHz carrier in terms of coverage.  Sprint really needs that 800 MHz CDMA and LTE carriers for indoor penetration.

• Like 1

Carrier Aggregation is not all that's cracked to be on the handset side. First of all, the wider the channel (physical or aggregated) the bigger the drain on the battery. If you're aggregating interband (e.g., 800SMR and 1900PCS), then you're also transmitting over two distinct radio chains which aggravates the battery drain further. I don't blame Sprint for being a bit leery of Carrier Aggregation.

• Like 1