Manning gets 35 years in prison. How do you feel about it?

Rukin1

I could be wrong but I don't think Manning leaked much about the NSA (that was William Binney, Thomas Drake, Edward Snowden, etc). His leaks focused on diplomatic cables and various war crimes in Afghanistan and Iraq.

The government asked for 60 but was only expecting about half of that, so I'm not surprised at the length of the sentence. However... "with good behavior and credit for the more than three years he has been held, Manning could be out in a little more than eight years." So he might be out in time to start a family, which is something his lawyer asked for.

Should Manning receive some punishment for leaking classified documents? Sure. However, the prosecution's priority ought to have been those who committed the war crimes in the first place, all of whom have essentially gotten away with murder. Given the harsh conditions he endured during his detention, I think if he had been sentenced to time served that would have been more than enough.

I'll also add that the government couldn't provide a single example of someone being put in harm's way or killed because of his leaks. The worst that happened were a few "uncomfortable conversations" with European diplomats, as if diplomats are not used to such things. So that goes to show much of what was leaked shouldn't have been classified in the first place.

I would like for Peyton Manning to get 35 years in prison.

;)

AJ

• Like 6

lol Bradly manning young man

That may be so, but it does not change the fact that I would like to see Peyton Manning start serving a 35 year prison sentence, preferably as soon as possible.

AJ

• Like 4

That may be so, but it does not change the fact that I would like to see Peyton Manning start serving a 35 year prison sentence, preferably as soon as possible.

AJ

Whyyy :o cause he left the colts? lol

Whyyy :o cause he left the colts? lol

No, because he plays in the AFC.  I am fine with the judge being lenient.  Sentence him to 35 years but eligible for parole in 15 years.  By then, he will be over 50 years old and no longer able to play.

AJ

• Like 1

No, because he plays in the AFC.  I am fine with the judge being lenient.  Sentence him to 35 years but eligible for parole in 15 years.  By then, he will be over 50 years old and no longer able to play.

AJ

Oh no, don't tell me you're a chiefs fan. My deepest apologies if that's the case.

• Like 5

I think he did wrong, but not entirely and I don't think he was alone in what he did. If he was a whistleblower he shouldn't have released as many documents as he did. I agree with the whole publishing video footage of troops shooting unarmed civilians, that action should have been protected but the embassy memo leaks was not necessary. It wasn't drastically harmful, but should have been treated as akin to leaking confidential corporate documents. I also think he was pushed by Assmange to get everything he could.

However he has been punished for everything which I respectfully don't agree with. His actions in releasing footage of atrocities were unpleasant but necessary. The vast majority of our armed forces are amazing people doing a horrible job, there are issues that remain however and they shouldn't be ignored and covering them up should not be allowed. For all the effort that has gone into dealing with Manning, how much went into dealing with the people who left him in the position to get those documents and who knew he had issues. What has been done about the people committing the atrocities in the videos?  

Snowden appears to fit the classical whistleblower theme more fairly, he seems to have only released information directly related to the issue which was potentially in the public interest to know (unless I missed something). 

inter arma enim silent leges

The man who let the whole world know that that the NSA spy's on us and has ignored our amendments for the past 5 years. I can't believe it and I'm speechless.

Source.

I agree with gnoj, manning is not the one who leaked nsa data. He released state dept files among other things to Julius Assange's WikiLeaks.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4

I think they're making an example of him to show what happens when you reveal the atrocities your government commits, making it look bad and hypocritical in front of the world. I think it's a travesty and wonder what will have to happen for people to realize it.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4

Oh no, don't tell me you're a chiefs fan. My deepest apologies if that's the case.

Yes, here in the Kansas City area, we actually have major professional sports.  But we understand that, up there in Aksarben, you have to hang your hat on the Cornhuskers as your "pro" team.

;)

AJ

Yes, here in the Kansas City area, we actually have major professional sports.  But we understand that, up there in Aksarben, you have to hang your hat on the Cornhuskers as your "pro" team.

;)

AJ

I heard the local ballerinas went to try out for the starting QB position. IS that true?

;)

AJ

Hahaha but you have a slight problem, AJ. I have never nor will I ever be from Nebraska, it's just where I live. I'm an Iowan and you might have figured that out if you noticed my avatar. ;) 

Hahaha but you have a slight problem, AJ. I have never nor will I ever be from Nebraska, it's just where I live. I'm an Iowan and you might have figured that out if you noticed my avatar. ;)

Actually now that you mention that....I've kept wondering but can't place him.  Who is it?

No idea.  Not a recognizable player.  Does he play for the NBA D-Leage Iowa Energy, your "major" pro sports team?

If you have not noticed, Kansas City has a bit of a superiority complex to Wichita, Omaha, and Des Moines.

:P

AJ

Actually now that you mention that....I've kept wondering but can't place him.  Who is it?

Ricky Davis. One of the most hilarious NBA players to ever play.

No idea.  Not a recognizable player.  Does he play for the NBA D-Leage Iowa Energy, your "major" pro sports team?

If you have not noticed, Kansas City has a bit of a superiority complex to Wichita, Omaha, and Des Moines.

AJ

I don't know why if sports are the answer, KC usually only wins a few more games than Des Moines. :D 

I don't know why if sports are the answer, KC usually only wins a few more games than Des Moines. :D

Which team?  We have little interest in an NBA team in Kansas City.  We are a college basketball town.  And in addition to major pro sports, we also have arguably the most accomplished major college sports team in the region in KU basketball.

No, we run the show in these parts.  You Iowans, Nebraskans, and rural Kansans come to us for the show.

AJ

• Like 1

Which team?  We have little interest in an NBA team in Kansas City.  We are a college basketball town.  And in addition to major pro sports, we also have arguably the most accomplished major college sports team in the region in KU basketball.

No, we run the show in these parts.  You Iowans, Nebraskans, and rural Kansans come to us for the show.

AJ

I was actually talking about football even though Des Moines doesn't have a team (AFL doesn't count)  :lol: . Also, last time I checked KU was in Lawrence, not KC so you can't claim that for KC.

I was actually talking about football even though Des Moines doesn't have a team (AFL doesn't count)  :lol: . Also, last time I checked KU was in Lawrence, not KC so you can't claim that for KC.

Kansas City is a majority KU basketball city, and KU plays in KC roughly five game per year.  So, nope, you are dead wrong.  KC most definitely claims KU as its own "pro" basketball team.

AJ

And now that it is totally on an off topic rampage, this thread is probably going to "prison" soon...

AJ

• Like 1

And now that it is totally on an off topic rampage, this thread is probably going to "prison" soon...

AJ

Pft because you want to talk about Peyton Manning.. Just delete the off topic posts :P

• Like 1