Broadband options for Rural areas that aren't really rural??

vandi

I have to say, I am not impressed with uverse. I used to have ATT dsl 6mbps for $30 month. Then uverse came along and 24mbps was available but only if you're super close to their distribution point. Sad. We could only get 18mbps for much more $$

Then Comcast says "25 Mbps for $30"

Hmmmm

I honestly can't see how uverse is thriving. I think it says more about comcast's incompetence than ATT's marketing skill.

"Oh but uverse is being upgraded to 45mbps and then 100 Mbps.... if you're close enough to their box"

But Comcast already has those speeds so...

?

U-Verse competes on price. Comcast's 25M for $30 promo is just that, a promotional price. Modem rental is an extra $7 (or pay $100 to get your own plus a router). After-promo you're looking at $60 or so, again plus modem rental.

I'm not on U-Verse here because they only offer 6M. If they had 45M at my location I'd seriously think about it, since their off-promo price is $76 for that tier, $9 less than I'm paying TWC now for 50/5, $20 less once my promo rate dials back next month, and $37 or so less than if I didn't have a promo price at all. And AT&T has promo pricing to lower 45M U-Verse's price further, probably down to the $50-$60 level for the first six months.

Is the tech inferior? Unless you're on an overloaded cable node and are close to the VRAD, absolutely. But some people buy their 'net based on price, and $60 per month is a lot to pay for something that they don't spend every waking moment on.

Nope.  The law states it has to be at least 1.544 Mpbs down and 128 kbps up.

Pretty good.

Does the PA PUC have any say in the quality of the network?

For example in WA, the PUC doesn't care if the 1.5Mbps DSL provides 0.2 Mbps at night (which it does) or 0.00001 Mbps.

I like how ATT let's you sign up and order, even the rep tells you you can get DSL. Think they call it all Uverse now anyways. Then a little guy calls you in a week letting the air out of all four tires telling you DSL isn't out there.

Verizon Fusion LTE is the only other option for the guy to get rid of his satellite.

I hate ATT...

Pretty good.

Does the PA PUC have any say in the quality of the network?

For example in WA, the PUC doesn't care if the 1.5Mbps DSL provides 0.2 Mbps at night (which it does) or 0.00001 Mbps.

Hm, interesting point. That I'm not sure of! If I still live here (with my parents) next October, I'll let you know :-).

Why would that happen though? DSL is a dedicated line not shared with other people, isn't it?

Hm, interesting point. That I'm not sure of! If I still live here (with my parents) next October, I'll let you know :-).

Why would that happen though? DSL is a dedicated line not shared with other people, isn't it?

It's shared somewhere up the line.

The last mile might not be shared. But if you're serving 50 customers off of a bunch of bonded T1s (12 Mbps, say), you're bound to have issues. Bandwidth at the central office/remote isn't infinite; not all of 'em have gigabit-plus Ethernet all the way to the 'net.

U-Verse competes on price. Comcast's 25M for $30 promo is just that, a promotional price. Modem rental is an extra $7 (or pay $100 to get your own plus a router). After-promo you're looking at $60 or so, again plus modem rental.

I'm not on U-Verse here because they only offer 6M. If they had 45M at my location I'd seriously think about it, since their off-promo price is $76 for that tier, $9 less than I'm paying TWC now for 50/5, $20 less once my promo rate dials back next month, and $37 or so less than if I didn't have a promo price at all. And AT&T has promo pricing to lower 45M U-Verse's price further, probably down to the $50-$60 level for the first six months.

Is the tech inferior? Unless you're on an overloaded cable node and are close to the VRAD, absolutely. But some people buy their 'net based on price, and $60 per month is a lot to pay for something that they don't spend every waking moment on.

It's only a promo rate for people who don't know how to negotiate with Comcast.

I've had my parents on the $40 phone + 25mbps for two years and now they dropped landline and only have Internet still 25 Mbps for $30.

Dedicated to your house only.

Our town is fed by 8 T1  lines, None bonded. 1.544 Mbps each line speed.

Some are used for voice, some for DSL data.

The thing is, the DSLAM in town feeds several hundred houses, if 7 of the T1s are used for data, that gives 10 Mbps for hundreds of houses.

3am gives full speed of 1.25 Mbps (They are allowed to advertise a fake speed of 1.5 Mbps)

7pm gives a speed of 0.2 to 0.4 Mbps, if we're lucky.

So by that PA law, they can connect the DSLAM in your town to a single 1.544 Mbps T1 line, feed many houses.

All while having your DSL modem sync at the 1.5 Mbps rate, just like mine does.

Without any competition, there is no reason for the phone company to provide a quality service.

When ours was Qwest, they had a lower limit for how many DSL lines they will hook per T1 line, when CenturyLink bought them, that limit went bye bye. The quality went doooowwn hill quick.

Dedicated to your house only.

Our town is fed by 8 T1  lines, None bonded. 1.544 Mbps each line speed.

Some are used for voice, some for DSL data.

The thing is, the DSLAM in town feeds several hundred houses, if 7 of the T1s are used for data, that gives 10 Mbps for hundreds of houses.

3am gives full speed of 1.25 Mbps (They are allowed to advertise a fake speed of 1.5 Mbps)

7pm gives a speed of 0.2 to 0.4 Mbps, if we're lucky.

So by that PA law, they can connect the DSLAM in your town to a single 1.544 Mbps T1 line, feed many houses.

All while having your DSL modem sync at the 1.5 Mbps rate, just like mine does.

Without any competition, there is no reason for the phone company to provide a quality service.

When ours was Qwest, they had a lower limit for how many DSL lines they will hook per T1 line, when CenturyLink bought them, that limit went bye bye. The quality went doooowwn hill quick.

Hm. Is that in your CO?  Hope that doesn't happen to me!  I would assume, though, that the DSLAM would only serve the 19 people whose address I was given...the CSA.

There is coming relief for you guys, hang on a little longer. Eon is the motherlord.

I can't wait to see it. It sounds like you all will have some pretty expansive coverage.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

I can't wait to see it. It sounds like you all will have some pretty expansive coverage.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

All depends on how much funding can be provided, 4 billion dollars will go a long way; 20 would really make things happen.

You are likely in the first city that will see a full build 6x6 MIMO deployment  ;)  The question is how many more cities can we bring on?

All depends on how much funding can be provided, 4 billion dollars will go a long way; 20 would really make things happen.

You are likely in the first city that will see a full build 6x6 MIMO deployment ;) The question is how many more cities can we bring on?

Is this a Comcast replacement? Or for those who can only get dsl?

Is this a Comcast replacement? Or for those who can only get dsl?

Neither.  This is the beginning phase of a LONG term deployment model for fixed/mobile applications.  Fixed & mobile wireless is first, Next generation wireless access at home and on the go.

If you are running a server, or engaging in any internet pirating activities wireless is NOT going to be wireline replacement. 

We plan to be a big player in (residential) fiber rollouts as well. 

• Like 1

Neither. This is the beginning phase of a LONG term deployment model for fixed/mobile applications. Fixed & mobile wireless is first, Next generation wireless access at home and on the go.

If you are running a server, or engaging in any internet pirating activities wireless is NOT going to be wireline replacement.

We plan to be a big player in (residential) fiber rollouts as well.

Are you gonna go big and mega billion ipo-style public?

Hm. Is that in your CO?  Hope that doesn't happen to me!  I would assume, though, that the DSLAM would only serve the 19 people whose address I was given...the CSA.

I also hope the whole plan in PA is successful. I would think that the phone companies would do the minimum required by law if they will lose money.

This other wireless ISP plan that MobileSolutions is talking about would be great too.

But rural wireless solutions in the heavily forested areas mixed in the hills, means wireless services are none existent.

• Like 1

I also hope the whole plan in PA is successful. I would think that the phone companies would do the minimum required by law if they will lose money.

This other wireless ISP plan that MobileSolutions is talking about would be great too.

But rural wireless solutions in the heavily forested areas mixed in the hills, means wireless services are none existent.

There could be provisions like what you're saying in the "fine print" of what they're required to do.  I'm not sure.  I know several people who have Verizon DSL (which is our phone company) and they don't have any complaints.

• Like 1