Router Issues

centermedic

So, I'm thinking that my router is going bad. Here are my issues:

1) My internet connection seems sluggish even though the speedtest come back with my usual 4/mbps. Just to make sure it was not my computer I timed a 1300 mb download on my PS3. It took one hour with no other load on my connection.

2) I have noticed that sometimes the router allows certain devices to become bandwidth whores while bringing other devices to a standstill. 

Does this sound like a router issue to you guys?

It could be several things. Is the software to the router up to date. You might unplug it if its up to date or reset it. Also check your network settings and see if anything is off.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 2

PlayStation for me always takes an outrageous amount of time to download. Have you tested your speeds on other devices?

Same here, on WiFi. As soon as I wired it up, speeds shot through the roof to where they should be. No other device has an issue with speeds on my setup over WiFi.

Fat PS3 3rd Gen (no backwards compatibility). Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH router.

Try a different browser you didn't have previously installed (Firefox, Chrome, Opera, etc.) that way you take a preinstalled browser having issues out of the equation. If possible, try using a different computer, not a phone or console. I'd recommend power cycling the router AND modem if you haven't already. If that doesn't change anything, try a factory reset on the router settings, perhaps something got messed up. Call your ISP if it is their modem/router/gateway. If you have a gateway, get rid of that stupid thing, they all suck. A separate modem/router always has worked better in my experience than a combined gateway.

I bought a Netgear R6300 TOL AC router in March while also switching to Comcast 50/10 tier and had pings around 10-15 MS all the time and very fast web page loading. After a month pages got slightly laggy and speedtests showed a 20-25 MS ping.

I bought an Asus RT-AC66U router (their TOL AC router) and put it in and latency dropped back to what it was supposed to be and things started loading much snappier again.

So the router can be a cause. Have you wired your problem device straight to the modem yet? That was how I confirmed it was my router. 

Also with the RT-AC66U wifi performance is pretty much the same as a wired connection, by far the the best wifi router I've used to date. It has amazing range too. 

I don't have the AC version of that Asus, just the 66u and this thing with Shibby's firmware is down right amazing. Vpn, ad blocking, multi ssid, vlan, ftp, ssh tunnel, file storage, etc.. Oh and router. Highly recommend the router.

• Like 2

Lets see:

I have power cycled the router and modem.

I use speedtest.net for my speed test.

The problem persists across three computers, desktop, windows 7, laptop windows vista and a chromebook

I will check to make sure the firmware is up to date and I will also try connecting directly to the router to see what happens then. Thanks for the suggestions!

You can throw the fastest and best router at anything but if you have ISP issues its all for moot.

Reduce things down to the simplest form  and work up from there.

In all the years all my issues have been ISP related.

i run mid grade older routers Dlink DIR-825  for the dual band and gigabit switch ports.

I have 3, yes 3 of these linked together to provide decent coverage over my 2 story Brick house. if you can run aftermarket software such as DD-WRT I would recommend that as well.  

Unless your running internal  gigabit file servers you don't need the most expensive router out there. Your ISP will always be your bottleneck

I don't have the AC version of that Asus, just the 66u and this thing with Shibby's firmware is down right amazing. Vpn, ad blocking, multi ssid, vlan, ftp, ssh tunnel, file storage, etc.. Oh and router. Highly recommend the router.

The RT-N66U is an excellent router as well, almost got it then saw the AC version on sale for just 20 more and got that.

I dabbled in DD-WRT and Tomato and found no real benefit for it at home just yet. It is nice to finally know how to set up and use tomato and dd-wrt though.

I'm happy with the stock firmware on the Asus for now, although I do have Merlin flashed on there which is just stock with extra features enabled.

You can throw the fastest and best router at anything but if you have ISP issues its all for moot.

Reduce things down to the simplest form  and work up from there.

In all the years all my issues have been ISP related.

i run mid grade older routers Dlink DIR-825  for the dual band and gigabit switch ports.

I have 3, yes 3 of these linked together to provide decent coverage over my 2 story Brick house. if you can run aftermarket software such as DD-WRT I would recommend that as well.  

Unless your running internal  gigabit file servers you don't need the most expensive router out there. Your ISP will always be your bottleneck

My speedtest almost always show that I am getting the advertised speed. I assumed that cleared the ISP as the issue.

So, I'm thinking that my router is going bad. Here are my issues:

1) My internet connection seems sluggish even though the speedtest come back with my usual 4/mbps. Just to make sure it was not my computer I timed a 1300 mb download on my PS3. It took one hour with no other load on my connection.

2) I have noticed that sometimes the router allows certain devices to become bandwidth whores while bringing other devices to a standstill. 

Does this sound like a router issue to you guys?

Unplugg the router from the cable modem and connect PC directly to cable modem. Run speed test etc. If this works fine then you can probably say is the router.

You can also try a factory reset on the unit.

Your cable modem can also have gone bad.

@l3x

I have the same router. Out of all the routers I have had, this thing just rocks. Most impressed I have ever been. Did I say this thing rocks!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

• 2 weeks later...

Everything checks out on the router. As i was trying to think about what else could be causing my data slowdown I remembered how many new ssid's I can pull up when I do a wifi search. Then it occurred to me, my router is 2.4 ghz only!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok. So I got a dual band router g/n 2.4/5. Moved whatever was compatible to 5 ghz. I also took a look at the 2.4 spectrum and holy crap!. There are seven other 2.4 connections(all wireless-n, go figure) in my immediate area. I switched the channel from 11 down to 1 as that was the least congested range. So far it seems better.

Ok. So I got a dual band router g/n 2.4/5. Moved whatever was compatible to 5 ghz. I also took a look at the 2.4 spectrum and holy crap!. There are seven other 2.4 connections(all wireless-n, go figure) in my immediate area. I switched the channel from 11 down to 1 as that was the least congested range. So far it seems better.

Ideally you want to be as far away from others as possible. So 1 and 11 are the best options if available (you only have people on one side of you in the spectrum range). If those aren't available then as far away as others as you can.

Around me I have 4 access points. One at 1, 6, 8, 11... so I set myself up at channel 4 and bumped it up to 40MHz spectrum on my 2.4GHz-only N-router. I know for a fact my router has the highest power output of any of these routers (they are basic consumer grade Linksys, Netgear, and Qwest routers judging by SSIDs and are likely to be using default settings knowing my neighbors, at least they setup security right?). In addition, our houses are far enough apart that while the signal is visible, they aren't really usable from my place.

I have aimed my router's two bi-directional antennae down my house (it sits in a corner of the building) to get maximum signal at the other end of my place (200ft, brick and drywall) and still getting 60-80% signal strength depending on the device at the other end. On my neighbor's properties, the signal is visible and usable but would easily be overcome by a router on their property without causing interference where it would realistically be used.

In addition, by bumping up to 40MHz spectrum usage I nearly doubled my WiFi speeds on most of my equipment.  :D When you know what you're doing you can optimize pretty well. I've considered going around the neighborhood scanning WiFi and mapping out a rough setup to determine the most spectrum-efficient channeling and seeing if they're interested. Mutual improvement, and they know I do this kind of thing anyway, probably wouldn't be hard to convince people. I just haven't been that bored.  :lol:

• Like 1