PRL 60685/51085 analysis

----SID/NID 4138/65535 Verizon Wireless - Jacksonville FL Changed from: Pref Geo:Same Prio:Same RoamInd: Domestic EVDO-Enabled:No 1X Scan: PCS/425 PCS/600

Pref Geo:Same Prio:Same RoamInd: Domestic EVDO-Enabled:No 1X Scan: PCS/425 PCS/600 PCS/725

Does this mean my Verizon roaming stays the same? 1X voice and data.

Edited by tybo31316

It will be interesting to see the 2xxxx series PRLs now-- wonder if there are any CLR_2ND entries in the acquisition table. We could make a PRL to look for channel 476 and send it to some folks to test in the Big D-- my brother there says the network has been behaving unusually the past week or two.

Does this mean my Verizon roaming stays the same? 1X voice and data.

Yes. Note that the "EVDO-Enabled:No" tag in the PRL entry remains the same. The only change is that the new PRL directs your device to scan a third CDMA1X channel assignment: PCS 0725, which is the first channel assignment in the PCS E block 10 MHz license that used to be Alltel in Jacksonville prior to VZW acquisition.

http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/license.jsp?licKey=9702

Not many people remember that Alltel had a bare bones native network in Jacksonville, one of the very few PCS 1900 MHz only markets that Alltel ever operated. I am not certain that Alltel even sold service or had a local exchange in Jacksonville. Rather, I want to say that Alltel operated the network only for the benefit of its own roamers.

AJ

It will be interesting to see the 2xxxx series PRLs now-- wonder if there are any CLR_2ND entries in the acquisition table. We could make a PRL to look for channel 476 and send it to some folks to test in the Big D-- my brother there says the network has been behaving unusually the past week or two.

I was able to check out 21085. It came up as the same as 60685 PRL. I even searched to the ACQ table to make sure there was no 476.

And thanks for the catch AJ. There were several VZW SIDs that one ACQ record was tied to where they added the 725 PCS scan.

On another note, I'll have an analysis of 12117 up. In my quick look at the file, it looks like it is the new 11115. Which would make sense. I'm betting there is a 12119 floating around now with the Pioneer Cell native to domestic roaming change.

That's you?! Wow. Did not know. Good work.

Yeah its always been me doing those on that site.

My program I do for dishnetwork channel table changes kinda spawned this prl one. The dishnetwork one is a little more extensive plus it is automated 24hrs a day so this one was much easier to do.

• Like 1

Yeah its always been me doing those on that site.

My program I do for dishnetwork channel table changes kinda spawned this prl one. The dishnetwork one is a little more extensive plus it is automated 24hrs a day so this one was much easier to do.

Ahhh that's where I've seen that name before.

Satguys right?

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

Ahhh that's where I've seen that name before.

Satguys right?

Yep. This is my baby... that program came a long way in the many years it has been running. Spot beam maps, markets, channel descriptions, etc.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?p=2798945

3/7/2012 7:31pm - Uplink Activity Report - 96 changes

Yep. This is my baby... that program came a long way in the many years it has been running. Spot beam maps, markets, channel descriptions, etc.

http://www.satellite...d.php?p=2798945

3/7/2012 7:31pm - Uplink Activity Report - 96 changes

Yeah I used to check that site out from time to time till they banned me for zero reason whatsoever then didn't respond to any pms about it.

Not big deal as I have DIRECTV anyway...

Always liked the tech behind it all same with sixtos reports on dbstalk...

Edited by Sgt. Slaughter

Yeah I used to check that site out from time to time till they banned me for zero reason whatsoever then didn't respond to any pms about it.

Not big deal as I have DIRECTV anyway...

Always liked the tech behind it all same with sixtos reports on dbstalk...

You must have done something bad as they rarely ban unless you are stealing service or something like that. Now DBSTalk.com they ban quite a lot.

I switched over to DirecTV too. Couldn't pass up their lower bill for more channels, plus the multi-room viewing. That 5 tuner DVR media server is awesome! I also have a 2 tuner DVR. It's nice having 7 tuners to record off at the same time and I can watch any of it from any room in the house all in HD. Love it!!!!

• Like 1

SInce we know they're doing all their testing in the PCS "G" block, we could easily add an acquisition record for band class 14 channels 1225, 1250, & 1275 to look for 1x and EV carriers in the rollout areas. Most phones active since about 2009 support band class 14. My QPST lets me create an ACQ record in band class 14 with no issue.

• Like 1

You must have done something bad as they rarely ban unless you are stealing service or something like that. Now DBSTalk.com they ban quite a lot.

I switched over to DirecTV too. Couldn't pass up their lower bill for more channels, plus the multi-room viewing. That 5 tuner DVR media server is awesome! I also have a 2 tuner DVR. It's nice having 7 tuners to record off at the same time and I can watch any of it from any room in the house all in HD. Love it!!!!

Na nothing at all. It was during a touchy time is all I think. I had hardly any posts and guess I got cut for 1 harmless post.

No buggy like i said though spend most time at dbs anyways.

Props on what you do though for the channels, always liked that stuff.

Had that HR34 for awhile now here its a new beast for sure. Can't wait for it to get ironed out completely.

*enough sat talk my bad lol

SInce we know they're doing all their testing in the PCS "G" block, we could easily add an acquisition record for band class 14 channels 1225, 1250, & 1275 to look for 1x and EV carriers in the rollout areas. Most phones active since about 2009 support band class 14. My QPST lets me create an ACQ record in band class 14 with no issue.

This is a great idea!!! You all are going to be getting deployment much sooner than my market, but if someone wanted to make this modification, we could host the instructions here for those who want to add that ability to their devices. We even know where to send people in the Chicago market, as I know the cluster schedule there. Hopefully, I can get more cluster schedules in other markets soon. <hint, hint>

Anyone want to write up these instructions? I'm only skilled enough in QPST to follow someone else's instructions, verbatim.

This is a great idea!!! You all are going to be getting deployment much sooner than my market, but if someone wanted to make this modification, we could host the instructions here for those who want to add that ability to their devices. We even know where to send people in the Chicago market, as I know the cluster schedule there. Hopefully, I can get more cluster schedules in other markets soon. <hint, hint>

Anyone want to write up these instructions? I'm only skilled enough in QPST to follow someone else's instructions, verbatim.

Adding the acquisition records is easy: 1 added record would be type CDMA Generic with Band Class 14 selected for each of 3 channels: 1225, 1250, & 1275. The 2nd added record would be type HDR Generic with the same band classes and channels. The hard part in making a functional PRL is knowing what SID they're using for testing. They could be using 4139 (Sprint's home SID) or the native SID for that area (in Chicago's case, 4384). The EVDO subnet is likely the same one they use nationwide, but the CDMA (1x) system table would need to have the correct SID to match their test setup. The NID could be 65535, which would grab everything in the SID. Also, you have to add the 1x and associated EV records in the system table for each market or geography in question. I can modify the PRL, but to modify it for EVERY market would take quite a while, especially if you're trying the native and Sprint home SIDs because you're uncertain what they're using. It would be easiest to simply look for an EV carrier only by adding an EV (HDR) record associated with the local 1x record in the actual PRL-- just make the new record come before the Sprint EV record (it has to be inserted above it-- PRLs are processed sequentially). (Incidentally, this is exactly where we insert the VZW and Alltel EV records in our PRLs in the red stick for functional phones!) Then your phone would catch its normal 1x carrier but would first look for a PCS "G" block Ev carrier before looking for your native block carriers. This would only add a single EV record to every Geo-- but wouldn't check for 1x carriers being tested since we don't know the SID.

This weekend I can play around with the 60683 Sprint PRL-- it's the last one I have since I no longer have a Sprint phone.

Edited by 4ringsnbr
  • Like 1

Adding the acquisition records is easy: 1 added record would be type CDMA Generic with Band Class 14 selected for each of 3 channels: 1225, 1250, & 1275. The 2nd added record would be type HDR Generic with the same band classes and channels. The hard part in making a functional PRL is knowing what SID they're using for testing. They could be using 4139 (Sprint's home SID) or the native SID for that area (in Chicago's case, 4384). The EVDO subnet is likely the same one they use nationwide, but the CDMA (1x) system table would need to have the correct SID to match their test setup. The NID could be 65535, which would grab everything in the SID. Also, you have to add the 1x and associated EV records in the system table for each market or geography in question. I can modify the PRL, but to modify it for EVERY market would take quite a while, especially if you're trying the native and Sprint home SIDs because you're uncertain what they're using. It would be easiest to simply look for an EV carrier only by adding an EV (HDR) record associated with the local 1x record in the actual PRL-- just make the new record come before the Sprint EV record (it has to be inserted above it-- PRLs are processed sequentially). (Incidentally, this is exactly where we insert the VZW and Alltel EV records in our PRLs in the red stick for functional phones!) Then your phone would catch its normal 1x carrier but would first look for a PCS "G" block Ev carrier before looking for your native block carriers. This would only add a single EV record to every Geo-- but wouldn't check for 1x carriers being tested since we don't know the SID.

This weekend I can play around with the 60683 Sprint PRL-- it's the last one I have since I no longer have a Sprint phone.

Keep us posted as you work on it. I'm stoked. It's almost enough to get me to buy a plane ticket to Chicago.

I recall from the old S4GRU message board that we had a similar discussion about creating a custom testing PRL.

Feel free to send me a testing PRL or post a link to it. My EVO is rooted, MSL'd, and EPST'd, so I can load any PRL from my SD card with little more than a simple reboot. And I am in Kansas City usually once or twice per week.

Personally, I would be fine with a testing PRL that contains simply a SID 04139 entry that links to an ACQ index of band class 14 channels 1225, 1250, and 1275 for both CDMA1X and EV-DO. In the absence of any PCS G block signals, that PRL would put the handset into a search loop, rendering it out of service. But that would not be a big problem for me. I would do some drive testing while in the city, then just load one of the half dozen other PRLs I carry around on my SD card to restore full service.

Two possible hangups, however, spring to mind.

First, 4ringsnbr brought up the SID issue. Sprint could be using a non standard or out of market SID for testing purposes. As I am already in SID 04139, though, that would seem to double the likelihood that Sprint is actually testing under the native SID in my market.

Second, Sprint could be using non standard CDMA1X and EV-DO channel assignments to further reduce the likelihood that a handset somehow strays onto the test signals. For example, when my EVO gets "frustrated" under marginal signal conditions, it will randomly search band class 14, channel 0271, which would be a non standard channel assignment in the PCS A block. In other words, might Sprint put the CDMA1X test channel centered at 1235 and the EV-DO test channel centered at 1265 just for a bit more "security through obscurity"?

AJ

• Like 2

In other words, might Sprint put the CDMA1X test channel centered at 1235 and the EV-DO test channel centered at 1265 just for a bit more "security through obscurity"?

And if they didn't before, might they now? We are talking about it in a public forum. ;)

I recall from the old S4GRU message board that we had a similar discussion about creating a custom testing PRL.

Feel free to send me a testing PRL or post a link to it. My EVO is rooted, MSL'd, and EPST'd, so I can load any PRL from my SD card with little more than a simple reboot. And I am in Kansas City usually once or twice per week.

Personally, I would be fine with a testing PRL that contains simply a SID 04139 entry that links to an ACQ index of band class 14 channels 1225, 1250, and 1275 for both CDMA1X and EV-DO. In the absence of any PCS G block signals, that PRL would put the handset into a search loop, rendering it out of service. But that would not be a big problem for me. I would do some drive testing while in the city, then just load one of the half dozen other PRLs I carry around on my SD card to restore full service.

I would put the G block scan first-- inserted into the stock Sprint PRL, so that if your phone didn't find it, it would proceed processing the rest of the PRL (working as normal). I can even get it to turn on the flashing roaming triangle (international roaming) to alert you that you did link to a G block carrier so you wouldn't have to go into the field test menu to look for your channel assignment. The non-standard center channel assignment, however, would be a problem as you mentioned. There are 75 potential channel numbers that could be used (1225-1300) with no issue if Sprint wanted.

One positive thing has come out of my horrid data experience over the past 2 years here in Louisiana: I've had to learn how to tweak a PRL. If Sprint needs PRL authors in the future, the best will probably come from this market-- we learned it on the streets!

Edited by 4ringsnbr
  • Like 1

I've modified the 60683 stock Sprint PRL and added records for it to look for G-block carriers in Dallas, San Antonio, Houston, Kansas CIty, Chicago, and BR/NOLA. It will try to hook onto 1x carriers first then look for Ev carriers even if you're on your native 1x carrier. The roaming triangle will flash when you're connected to a G-block carrier. The PRL should ONLY be used if you're sure your phone supports BC 14 CDMA (most do). If it cannot find a G-block 1x carrier, it will look for your normal carrier, so you should be able to use this PRL all the time.

• Like 1