PRL 60685/51085 analysis

I've modified the 60683 stock Sprint PRL and added records for it to look for G-block carriers in Dallas, San Antonio, Houston, Kansas CIty, Chicago, and BR/NOLA. It will try to hook onto 1x carriers first then look for Ev carriers even if you're on your native 1x carrier. The roaming triangle will flash when you're connected to a G-block carrier. The PRL should ONLY be used if you're sure your phone supports BC 14 CDMA (most do). If it cannot find a G-block 1x carrier, it will look for your normal carrier, so you should be able to use this PRL all the time.

Here is the link in the Download Center for those who want to give the testing PRL a try in a Network Vision under deployment market. Thanks 4ringsnbr!

• Like 1

Here is the link in the Download Center for those who want to give the testing PRL a try in a Network Vision under deployment market. Thanks 4ringsnbr!

Please let me know if it acts funny-- I can tweak it further-- if you can't catch a G block carrier, your phone SHOULDN'T behave any differently that it did on 60683 from Sprint. Since I can't load it on my phone to test-- the drawback of the SIM carded VZW LTE phones is that the PRL lives on the SIM and I can't access it (it updates itself)-- I'm counting on you guys to let me know how it works. If I get more time, I can add the same functionality for the Atlanta and NJ markets-- they're just further down the GEO list in the file.

Please let me know if it acts funny-- I can tweak it further-- if you can't catch a G block carrier, your phone SHOULDN'T behave any differently that it did on 60683 from Sprint. Since I can't load it on my phone to test-- the drawback of the SIM carded VZW LTE phones is that the PRL lives on the SIM and I can't access it (it updates itself)-- I'm counting on you guys to let me know how it works. If I get more time, I can add the same functionality for the Atlanta and NJ markets-- they're just further down the GEO list in the file.

As excited as I am about SIM cards, the loss of being able to modify PRL's will be a big bummer. :(

As excited as I am about SIM cards, the loss of being able to modify PRL's will be a big bummer. :(

I should've put a YET qualifier in there-- I'm sure I'll figure out a way to load a PRL of my own construction! The thing is though, that necessity is the mother of invention-- I had to learn PRL modification living in BR on Sprint to survive. With VZW, I really don't have any need to change a PRL-- so far.

• Like 1

As excited as I am about SIM cards, the loss of being able to modify PRL's will be a big bummer.

How sure are we that our LTE phones will in fact have some cards though? I know its been thought to be a req of lte but I always thought that was bc of how Verizon was doing it specifically and that it might not apply to Sprint lte devices....

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

How sure are we that our LTE phones will in fact have some cards though? I know its been thought to be a req of lte but I always thought that was bc of how Verizon was doing it specifically and that it might not apply to Sprint lte devices....

I'm not sure at all. However, if I were to bet money on it. I bet on SIMs.

Posted via Forum Runner

Will this work in Boston?

No. But if you send a PM to 4ringsnbr and ask nicely, he may modify this PRL for Boston for you. :tu:

I've modified the 60683 stock Sprint PRL and added records for it to look for G-block carriers in Dallas, San Antonio, Houston, Kansas CIty, Chicago, and BR/NOLA. It will try to hook onto 1x carriers first then look for Ev carriers even if you're on your native 1x carrier. The roaming triangle will flash when you're connected to a G-block carrier. The PRL should ONLY be used if you're sure your phone supports BC 14 CDMA (most do). If it cannot find a G-block 1x carrier, it will look for your normal carrier, so you should be able to use this PRL all the time.

Any chance you could add Boston to the list? :blush:

I'm not sure at all. However' date=' if I were to bet money on it. I bet on SIMs.

Posted via Forum Runner[/quote']

I'd bet on SIM cards too.

Sent from Joshs Evo Shift 4G using Forum Runner

Any chance you could add Boston to the list? :blush:

There will be a new version coming out soon that will have all S4GRU announced markets (1st AND 2nd round) included. Remember that it should NOT be used unless you're certain your phone supports band class 14 and there's no guarantee it will work-- as mentioned above, Sprint may be using odd channels or SIDs for their testing-- we're only guessing here. Also, since I no longer have a phone that can be PRL-modified, I cannot test these so I'm relying on feedback! The new version will be 60684.

• Like 1

I'd bet on SIM cards too.

Sent from Joshs Evo Shift 4G using Forum Runner

Well I'll take the other side of this lil bet then.... Too many ppl on the other side of this at this point for my betting taste...now time to dig and see some info on this...

Though I could care less really haven't had sim card since my Nextel days. Lol

There will be a new version coming out soon that will have all S4GRU announced markets (1st AND 2nd round) included. Remember that it should NOT be used unless you're certain your phone supports band class 14 and there's no guarantee it will work-- as mentioned above, Sprint may be using odd channels or SIDs for their testing-- we're only guessing here. Also, since I no longer have a phone that can be PRL-modified, I cannot test these so I'm relying on feedback! The new version will be 60684.

How do I tell if my phone supports band class 14? (Evo 4G)

I loaded the latest PRL. Let me know what I should look for, other than my phone being unable to connect to anything. :P

How do I tell if my phone supports band class 14? (Evo 4G)

I loaded the latest PRL. Let me know what I should look for, other than my phone being unable to connect to anything. :P

If in doubt, always check the teardown. I never buy a phone without knowing all the chips and gear inside it to know its capabilities. In the case of the OG EVO 4G, it should have no issue with BC 14. Its RTR 6500 transceiver supports BC 0, 1, 3, 4, 6, & 14. I don't know if the baseband firmware (radio ROM) is programmed to accept BC 14, but if the phone runs with this PRL, it must. The Triquint duplexer used for PCS bands in this handset was specified only for BC 0 frequencies, but should also work in BC 14-- it's only 5 extra MHz on each side and analog ICs aren't an exact science.

What you should see if there is no active 1x or EV carrier on channels 1225, 1250, 1275 (standard G block channels) in your area is normal behavior with the stock 60683 PRL-- including 3G "native" roaming in Pioneer areas that was removed in 60685. If, however, your phone finds an active carrier on one of those channels, the roaming indicator will flash like international roaming and you should see a 1x and/or Ev channel in the G block active on your field test. Please note that if you do not have CDMA and data roaming enabled, the phone won't link to the G block carriers-- I set the roaming flag to alert you that you're not in Kansas anymore.

If in doubt, always check the teardown. I never buy a phone without knowing all the chips and gear inside it to know its capabilities.

I buy a phone based upon just playing with it. :D

You haven't won yet. Once the devices are released we will know for 100% who wins this debate.

True. This guy knows one of the project or implementations managers or whatever. He is usually pretty accurate but could definitely be given incorrect information.

We won't know until we know.

• Like 1

So is that the "EVDO Ec/Io"?

It's the ratio of the power received from the carrier channel you're presently synced to for EVDO data versus the overall power received (it gives you an idea of the signal-to-noise ratio, but includes carrier pollution from other carriers with different PN offsets). Yours on that test is pretty good, but -2500 would be optimal; the EV channel you're on probably has neighbors (with different PN offsets of course) that you're getting some signal from or you've got a few competing users on the channel transmitting at the same time-- probably both.

Edited by 4ringsnbr

Talked to someone with knowledge of the new devices. There is nothing in the docs about SIM cards. Looks like it will use MAC address like Clear did with Wimax.

That way they can control us and we can't swap stuff around. Kinda figured that.

FYI, with both 60683X and 60684X on my EVO, I am not seeing any PCS G (1225, 1250, 1275) search activity in Field Trial. Something seems amiss.

AJ

FYI, with both 60683X and 60684X on my EVO, I am not seeing any PCS G (1225, 1250, 1275) search activity in Field Trial. Something seems amiss.

AJ

I added a 4139 SID G block search as the 1st geo scanned in the PRL-- if it cannot find one, then it will jump to process the PRL normally as before (stock 60683 Sprint PRL). I can create a blank PRL with only BC 14 scanning if you like-- but if you use it, your phone won't work at all unless it finds a G block channel; you'll have to load a stock PRL to use your phone and I don't know if you could even do a PRL update with it (for non-rooted phones) since it would essentially be stuck in a scan loop. The way this PRL work is that it will look for the G block stuff first then proceeds to run normally. Toggling airplane mode should make it rescan. Let me know if you'd like to be a guinea pig for a blank (G block ONLY) PRL-- I'll be happy to make one for you.