Cannot install any apps on GS4 (Play Store)

SWMich4G

Just got a GS4 today, and it's my first android device.  I created a google account, logged in, went to the store, and clicked to download various apps.  They say "downloading" and remain that way forever.  Checking my data usage I know the apps are all done downloading, but hours later it still says "downloading."  I've tried restarting the S4, force stopping the play store and the play service, deleting and re-adding my google account, and pushing the apps through my pc. 

Is there something obvious I'm missing here?  I read to uninstall Google Play, but how exactly do I reinstall an app if I uninstall my device's installer?  Other than that, I think I've tried every remedy I can find on the web short of a hard reset. 

And I can make phone calls and search the internet just fine, so my phone is in fact activated. 

Just got a GS4 today, and it's my first android device.  I created a google account, logged in, went to the store, and clicked to download various apps.  They say "downloading" and remain that way forever.  Checking my data usage I know the apps are all done downloading, but hours later it still says "downloading."  I've tried restarting the S4, force stopping the play store and the play service, deleting and re-adding my google account, and pushing the apps through my pc. 

Is there something obvious I'm missing here?  I read to uninstall Google Play, but how exactly do I reinstall an app if I uninstall my device's installer?  Other than that, I think I've tried every remedy I can find on the web short of a hard reset. 

And I can make phone calls and search the internet just fine, so my phone is in fact activated. 

Try a factory reset.  Have never heard of this problem before, but that may help.

• Like 1

This happens with about half the galaxy 4I've sold. Go into settings, apps, all apps, google play store, force stop &clear cache. Then try installing apps. I've had a perfect record doing this.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

I had this problem with a Samsung Victory. Had to do a Factory Reset.

Robert via Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• Like 1

I actually got it working somehow after going through the Sprint Zone app trying to find my pin (somehow I ended up updating stuff and then the notification appeared that the app was downloading).  Unfortunately over 4G it's downloading Google play apps at what seems like a few kb per second (20 MB app took several minutes to get to 4%).  Once I connect to wi-fi it goes the full speed of my wi-fi.  The odd thing is that my 4G connection is fine: I can see it downloading stuff in the data usage, and running a speed test shows 8mbps download.  :/

Anyone know what's up now?  Or should I just try the reset anyway if Rocket87's advise doesn't work? 

I actually got it working somehow after going through the Sprint Zone app trying to find my pin (somehow I ended up updating stuff and then the notification appeared that the app was downloading). Unfortunately over 4G it's downloading Google play apps at what seems like a few kb per second (20 MB app took several minutes to get to 4%). Once I connect to wi-fi it goes the full speed of my wi-fi. The odd thing is that my 4G connection is fine: I can see it downloading stuff in the data usage, and running a speed test shows 8mbps download. :/

Anyone know what's up now? Or should I just try the reset anyway if Rocket87's advise doesn't work?

This is a known issue: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/3886-google-services-slow-over-sprint-lte/?hl=%2Bgoogle+%2Bplay

• Like 1

This is a known issue: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/3886-google-services-slow-over-sprint-lte/?hl=%2Bgoogle+%2Bplay

Oh alright thanks.  It looks like the Play Store itself had an update installed.  I'm not sure how that happened when I was updating the Sprint Zone stuff, but whatever.  At least it works now over wi-fi, so that should suit me 90% of the time I'm looking to get an app.  Thanks for everyone's help; I was super frustrated not being able to find a solution anywhere. 

Just got a GS4 today, and it's my first android device. I created a google account, logged in, went to the store, and clicked to download various apps. They say "downloading" and remain that way forever. Checking my data usage I know the apps are all done downloading, but hours later it still says "downloading." I've tried restarting the S4, force stopping the play store and the play service, deleting and re-adding my google account, and pushing the apps through my pc.

Is there something obvious I'm missing here? I read to uninstall Google Play, but how exactly do I reinstall an app if I uninstall my device's installer? Other than that, I think I've tried every remedy I can find on the web short of a hard reset.

Should have bought the ONE.

Welcome to the enlightened side of smartphones - glad you got it working.

Stuck on the Poor Man's HTC for now.

I was really on the fence about the One vs the S4, but ultimately it came down to the S4 being newer (but the same price), so I figured if I decide to try the One in a few  months it'll be cheaper than if I had gotten the One on contract and then the S4 at full price.  It seems like this issue would be just as likely to affect both of them though. 

The black One does look sleeker than any other phone I've seen though. 

I was really on the fence about the One vs the S4, but ultimately it came down to the S4 being newer (but the same price), so I figured if I decide to try the One in a few  months it'll be cheaper than if I had gotten the One on contract and then the S4 at full price.  It seems like this issue would be just as likely to affect both of them though. 

I believe you have made a good choice after reading some of the comparisons though.

• Like 1

I was really on the fence about the One vs the S4, but ultimately it came down to the S4 being newer (but the same price), so I figured if I decide to try the One in a few months it'll be cheaper than if I had gotten the One on contract and then the S4 at full price. It seems like this issue would be just as likely to affect both of them though.

The hardware specs are so close the differences are negligible.

I've always rooted my phones so the stock UI that comes with the phones is irrelevant - although Sense 5 is much nicer than touchwiz.

It all comes down to build quality. HTC wins this easily. Aluminium v. Plastic. Pretty easy decision for me personally.

Specs might be the same but experience is not according to others. I am an RF whore due to my market and also I like using my device for wireless activities. Would have gone with the S4 all day long after speaking with someone who has had both.

Name brand, color, material, etc means very little to me in my choices all about usability.

Sent from my little Note2

• Like 2