Huawei, ZTE vs others

When Sprint was taking bids for Network Vision, they considered Huawei and ZTE but had to drop them for security concerns

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/report-sprint-excludes-huawei-zte-bids-network-project/2010-11-05

although they definitely wanted to use said companies because of cheaper equipment.

My question: how many billions would they have saved if they could've used Huawei, ZTE?

When Sprint was taking bids for Network Vision, they considered Huawei and ZTE but had to drop them for security concerns

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/report-sprint-excludes-huawei-zte-bids-network-project/2010-11-05

although they definitely wanted to use said companies because of cheaper equipment.

My question: how many billions would they have saved if they could've used Huawei, ZTE?

How much would it have cost? The price of national security is greater than the savings on equipment.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

How much would it have cost? The price of national security is greater than the savings on equipment.

Yes, I know that. I'm not complaining that Sprint couldn't use them, just asking out of intellectual curiosity.

Trust me, whenever I read about a European country selecting Huawei, I feel like a double facepalm.

http://captaincapitalism.blogspot.com/2012/04/why-young-boys-have-trouble-dating.html

This is simply an intellectual question.

Sprint ended up going with the highest quality vendors they could have used. I take it Huawei could have beat Samsung, but other than that? ZTE is kind of cheap crap from what I've seen. Huawei would have opened up too many concerns with some of the backdoors they have in their routers as well as the concerns that they stole Nortel IP.

Does anyone know why Sprint didn't pick Nokia Siemens?

NSN did not have a CDMA version of their new Flexi, which T-mobile is utilizing, at that point and time which precluded them from participating in the bids.

• Like 1

I don't think Sprint ever actually got to the bid phase with those vendors, so I don't think anyone knows what the price difference would be. So, the savings from the Chinese vendors are just assumptions.

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

That and the whole national security threat business is all speculative at this point. Furthermore, the US Government has a backdoor into everything anyway so it's not like your conversations or data sessions are exactly top secret. Unless oddly enough you use iMessages... O_o

In my opinion, the argument "the US government is just being protectionist" is really total BS.

Exhibit A

Samsung - South Korea

Alcatel Lucent - France

Ericsson - Sweden

Nokia-Siemens - Finland+Germany

I rest my case.

Is there an American vendor left anymore? It's not about protectionism.

The reason why China is a special case is because there is no rule of law and it is not a democracy.

Oh, and if you Google "Chinese hackers", you'll find the other reason.

In my opinion, the argument "the US government is just being protectionist" is really total BS.

Exhibit A

Samsung - South Korea

Alcatel Lucent - France

Ericsson - Sweden

Nokia-Siemens - Finland+Germany

I rest my case.

Is there an American vendor left anymore? It's not about protectionism.

The reason why China is a special case is because there is no rule of law and it is not a democracy.

Oh, and if you Google "Chinese hackers", you'll find the other reason.

The last reason is the key. And South Korea are our allies, of course the government would approve them. As for the others, I'm not fully sure of their relationships with the USA.