Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich is coming...how and when are you going to get it?

S4GRU

Migrated from Original Forum. Originally Posted 15 November 2011

Article: http://www.slashgear...vices-15195342/

Yesterday, Android release Ice Cream Sandwich source code and developers are already jumping on it. Are you interested in getting Android 4.0 ICS?

How are you going to get the first taste? You going to put it on your device with the very first ROM that hits the internet? Waiting for a stable build? Waiting for a specific developer, like Cyanogen? Going to buy a new device with ICS? Do you not care about upgrading at all?

Sound off below!

I refuse to install the SDK port onto my Nexus S 4G.. I will wait for the official release to come out for that.. otherwise 4G will most likely not work. Nexus S 4G should see an official ICS build by end of the month.

As for the Epic Touch... I don't see it getting ICS anytime soon since its CDMA/WiMAX it doesn't get the same support the GSM version of the phone sees. If an AOSP ROM with ICS does come out.. it will most likely not support 4G. We will need to wait for a leaked official Samsung ICS build for the Epic Touch specifically :(

I may sell my second Epic Touch for a Galaxy Nexus and just put it on Sprint... tho I wouldn't be able to make use of the LTE. Not sure Sprint will be seeing a WiMAX version so it's a touch call. Sprint might even see the Galaxy Nexus this summer after LTE hits. hmmmmm

That's one big advantage of having a Nexus phone, is you will get the Android updates faster than anyone else.

As for ICS and WiMax, Cyanogen will probably build versions of it's CM9 to include WiMax devices. They have a huge Sprint Fan Boy following. I remember reading somewhere once that Sprint WiMax devices account for more than half of their downloads. They may even start with WiMax devices for ICS. But I haven't seen anything from them on it, except to say they are already under way on ICS/CM9.

That's one big advantage of having a Nexus phone, is you will get the Android updates faster than anyone else.

As for ICS and WiMax, Cyanogen will probably build versions of it's CM9 to include WiMax devices. They have a huge Sprint Fan Boy following. I remember reading somewhere once that Sprint WiMax devices account for more than half of their downloads. They may even start with WiMax devices for ICS. But I haven't seen anything from them on it, except to say they are already under way on ICS/CM9.

Pretty much any phone that has a 100% working CM7 build will see CM9 without a doubt. The EVO 4G will certainly see a CM9 build.. including working WiMAX.. as it's already working with CM7. The Samsung Epic still does not have a WiMAX 4G fix for CM7. The Epic Touch has the exact same WiMax so it will most likely be held up as well unless there is a Samsung WiMAX breakthrough. It's funny that the Samsung Nexus S 4G has working WiMax but for some reason it's been super hard for the devs to incorporate it into the Epics CM build.

Not sure what the CM7 status was on the Photon/Shift/3D.. but if they have a working CM7.. with working WiMAX.. then they will also certainly see a CM9 build come January.

We've seen Samsungs track record when it's come to Sprint updates... Moment, Hero and the Epic(just getting Gingerbread last week). Not expecting to see an ICS build from them until March/April at the earliest.. and it will probably be a buggy beta.

When it comes to Sprint Samsung devices, you better like them as they are out of the box. Because it's going to be exactly the same for a long time. :P

Part of me wonders, when it comes to Samsung and ICS, if they will even bother going back and developing anything for previous devices. Or just start introducing it on new devices.

Migrated from Original Forum. Originally Posted 21 November 2011

Anyone have an ETA on a possible CM9 for EVO 4G? Feel free to send me a message here or on facebook with any information. Thanks in advance. (Love me some Ice Cream Sandwich's om nom nom nom)

Migrated from Original Forum. Originally Posted 22 November 2011

Looks like January. But I don't know if January will be the stable build, and maybe there will be some preliminary releases before that. However, I wonder how well it's going to run on older premium smartphones and newer midrange smartphones as it is double the size and requires double the memory.

Migrated from Original Forum. Originally Posted 5 January 2012

cm9 running really good on my nexus s 4g

Count me as jealous. I'm really looking forward to CM9 on my Epic 4G Touch.

Migrated from Original Forum. Originally Posted 8 January 2012

I am working on a custom kernel in hopes of getting ICS before Samsung decides to get around to it, but it is slow going and without developing some drivers for the phone, its going to be difficult. (Epic 4G Touch). I have a friend who is currently working on developing ICS ROMs with me so we will see if this happens or if it will be a huge flop, but I would love to have it before the official release.

Migrated from Original Forum. Originally Posted 9 January 2012

If you can beat the official release, and other ICS releases, you will have the world beating down your door. Good luck, and keep us posted!

• 1 month later...

I just made the plunge into Calk's ICS ROM based on FC06. I'm using it right now. So far, so good! I like how i could flash right over my Calks v2.8.1 in CWM. Kept all my apps too! Amazing!

- Robert

Posted via Forum Runner on Calkulin E4GT-2 ICS v1.0

• Like 1

I just made the plunge into Calk's ICS ROM based on FC06. I'm using it right now. So far, so good! I like how i could flash right over my Calks v2.8.1 in CWM. Kept all my apps too! Amazing!

- Robert

Posted via Forum Runner on Calkulin E4GT-2 ICS v1.0

Looking forward to hearing how Caulk did with the ICS version. I kinda miss his ROM. It was the best of what I tested on the E4GT.

• Like 1

Looking forward to hearing how Caulk did with the ICS version. I kinda miss his ROM. It was the best of what I tested on the E4GT.

Miss that guy since I got my 3D on launch day and he decided to move on to the photon and now gs2...

Gotta spend some time debating long and hard over this next purchase...actually giving Samsung a fair shot and reading up on Odin and all that as its flash process and file management seems much different to how HTC does theirs...

HTC just seems more simple in terms of flashing things where as in Samsung you have to worry about what recovery is installed and kernel and all that...

I do have a small slight off topic ? though on them...

What was the deal with all the LOS complaints and all?

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

Miss that guy since I got my 3D on launch day and he decided to move on to the photon and now gs2...

Gotta spend some time debating long and hard over this next purchase...actually giving Samsung a fair shot and reading up on Odin and all that as its flash process and file management seems much different to how HTC does theirs...

HTC just seems more simple in terms of flashing things where as in Samsung you have to worry about what recovery is installed and kernel and all that...

I do have a small slight off topic ? though on them...

What was the deal with all the LOS complaints and all?

I only used Odin once to root. Then installed CWM Recovery. And that's all I've used since.

- Robert

Posted via Forum Runner

I wish ICS would come to the Evo Shift soon. All the existing alpha's and beta's on xda are lacking 4G, have display problems and are missing drivers. ICS looks so cool. I really want to try it out.

I wish ICS would come to the Evo Shift soon. All the existing alpha's and beta's on xda are lacking 4G, have display problems and are missing drivers. ICS looks so cool. I really want to try it out.

Can the Evo Shift handle ICS? I thought the limited memory on the phone would be an issue. I'm pretty sure the processor could handle the work.

Can the Evo Shift handle ICS? I thought the limited memory on the phone would be an issue. I'm pretty sure the processor could handle the work.

ICS can run on it, but it would have to be a scaled down version of it. It needs a talented developer to work it out. Are there any left on the Evo Shift? Might be because there still isn't any sliders released since the Epic/Evo shift era

ICS can run on it, but it would have to be a scaled down version of it. It needs a talented developer to work it out. Are there any left on the Evo Shift? Might be because there still isn't any sliders released since the Epic/Evo shift era

Team Mik still has a few developers working with the shift, and a few random ones on xda, but development has slowed significantly. The biggest issue with the shift on ICS is video drivers and 4G.

Looks like ICS is finally rolling out to the carrier-free/international versions of the GSll. Hopefully it will come out soon for the U.S. carriers.

http://www.engadget....wich-for-galax/

Still get a lil frustrated with the delay carriers add to this process...they should be working more closely than they currently are given the delays they have compared to when its really ready...I get a week or so but it shouldn't be much more really if at all...that is if they work closely with their OEMs on it...

• Like 1

It would be nice if the EVO and EVO Shift would continue to get support from the Dev's. There are still some good phones out there that could handle ICS even if they are getting old.

Team Mik is continuing active support for the Shift. And in the case of old phones, the Shift is only a little over a year old since release. I got mine a month after it came out, so it's not that old, lol.