lte coverage question

Why does lte coverage follow the path of a street,and seem to skip streets?

Each tower is designed to address a specific need. Some towers are designed to shoot down a stretch of road. Some are designed for high capacity etc. As far as follow the street I mean each tower only has a certain coverage area. The street that's covered could be the street with the tower. And other streets may be out of range. Not sure how far the build out is in your area but LTE coverage will most likely mimic the current 3G coverage when its complete.

Are you refereing to how it looks using Sensorly or similar app?

If so; understand that this is shown based on where each of the individuals running tests with their devices travels. As we mostly travel using roads you will see the data shown as such.

When a street seems as skipped it just means none of our members or the user of the specific app has not gone on that street.

Remember; radio waves propagate based on the angle each of the sectors is configured to transmit. Radio signals do not nescesarily dicriminate on going to street X and Street Z and skipping Street Y.

Hope this makes a bit more sense.

@l3x

• Like 1

Terrian has alot to do with it also. I've notice that I can get 4G and then go into a small dip in the road and lose the 4G signal.

I also have a question. Driving through towns that have just 3G, and then entering places that have LTE coverage, I was wondering how long does it take for 3G to switch over to LTE, while using CDMA/LTE/EVDO network mode? There are a few locations outside the town I live in that LTE is up and running, and when stopping at a traffic light in these LTE areas, it seems like it takes a couple of minutes for LTE to appear.

It sounds like you are looking at Sensorly. That's a user generated coverage map. AMejia explained that pretty well.

For a better idea of a rough coverage area, use the Sprint maps. But keep in mind those tend to be over exaggerated just a bit.

I also have a question. Driving through towns that have just 3G, and then entering places that have LTE coverage, I was wondering how long does it take for 3G to switch over to LTE, while using CDMA/LTE/EVDO network mode? There are a few locations outside the town I live in that LTE is up and running, and when stopping at a traffic light in these LTE areas, it seems like it takes a couple of minutes for LTE to appear.

It depends on which phone you have, and where it is in it's scan cycles. Each phone scans for LTE at a different interval, from between 5 and 15 minutes. Or longer if you haven't been in an LTE coverage area for some time. So if you are at the end of the cycle, it will only take a few moments, but if you are at the beginning, it can take up to 15 minutes. To force your phone to connect, just cycle airplane mode which resets the radios, and forces an LTE scan.

It depends on which phone you have, and where it is in it's scan cycles. Each phone scans for LTE at a different interval, from between 5 and 15 minutes. Or longer if you haven't been in an LTE coverage area for some time. So if you are at the end of the cycle, it will only take a few moments, but if you are at the beginning, it can take up to 15 minutes. To force your phone to connect, just cycle airplane mode which resets the radios, and forces an LTE scan.

The LTE scan timer on the LG Optimus G is 1800 seconds (30 minutes) by default. But the user can change it.

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

Thanks for the reply. I wasn't sure what was going on not connecting right away. The info makes a whole lot of sense, and is very helpful! Thanks again!