Backhaul Ethernet over Hybrid Fiber/Coax Info

A couple months ago I remember someone stating they talked to an installer at a tower who stated the tower was being fed via Coax from a cable company.

Here is a quick QA from Comcast on the technology:

http://comcastdownload.com/February112013/from-the-partner-sales-engineer-ethernet-over-hybrid-fiber-coax-ethernet-over-hfc.html

• Like 5

We are currently looking into getting this service for the government entity that I work for. It's basically one step up from your Comcast Business Class type of service. Only launched in a handful of cities right now (Comcast customers) and should be going nationwide pretty soon. I should have more info on this some time next week.

• Like 2

Talked with a rep earlier this morning. Comcast (Chicago Market) only offers a max of 6MPBS (up/down) on their fiber over coax service at this point. In my eyes, if your looking for more stability than speed, then it would be ok to go with this solution. Needless to say we decided to go with a full fiber quote.

• Like 2

Business class cable has its place. But LTE backhaul should never run over an HFC network...there are too many variables if you're running on the same plant as other HFC users, and it's inefficient if you're the only customer on the plant. Better to just run fiber.

As for TWC 100 Mbps service, I'll pass, unless it comes with more than 5 Mbps up. 50 Mbps down is plenty, and while I could probably take advantage of a faster connection every once in awhile the upload speed is what's holding me back.

Not to mention the fact that TWC doesn't have 100M (or even 75M) here in Austin yet.