Upgraded 3g speeds all of the sudden

Migrated from Original Forum. Originally Posted 11 November 2011

I'm from about 40 miles south of Pittsburgh and every sprint phone I run speed tests on in 3G, I can get between 3 to 6 mbps in download. Anyone else noticing REV B speeds all of the sudden. I know it is not getting 4g signal out my way as it is not here yet and my 4G antenna on my evo is off. It seems that My phones will perform better in 3g areas than 4g. In Pittsburgh my phone only picks up around 5Mbps in Pittsburgh in 4G. This seems to be in line with their network vision on improving on what they already have which is a good thing

I've never gotten a 3G speed above 1.4MB ever here in New Mexico. EVDO-A maxes out at 3.1MB download. If you are getting above that, there is either something wrong with your speed test, or Sprint is really doing something stealth in Pittsburgh area. Sprint has denied Revision B several times publicly since October 7th. And I don't see any reason for them to lie about it. I would guess they would admit to it, or not answer the question. But it doesn't make sense for them to lie about it, especially with all the heat they have been getting lately from investors.

I get good speeds consistently in the non-congested areas.

OpenSignal: http://j.mp/rsZGWL (Ignore the GSM)

and

SpeedTest: http://www.speedtest.net/android/101679611.png

I'm exactly half-way between a Verizon/Sprint shared tower and an old IPCS tower.

Since I'm in Visalia right now, my phone has 2 bars and I'm getting this: http://www.speedtest.net/android/101719373.png. Don't mind the server. My GPS is obsessed with Vegas and never changes that part, lol.

Much better speeds. And there is also 4G WiMax in Visalia to boot.

Much better speeds. And there is also 4G WiMax in Visalia to boot.

Yeah, but I'm only getting on average 4.xx down and less than 1 up on my friends Clear iSpot and less than 1 down on my Evo Shift. Then again, the house I'm in has window tint on the inside of the windows and the outside, lol. :(

1321040815484.jpg

This is perfectly avg for me with 3-4 bars inside of my home. Obviously not during a peak time of the day either which helps.

Tiny,

I'm jealous of your speeds. My speeds at home are slower than that. Most of the time I get less than 60k down.

wow sorry I did not realize that screenshot was soo HUGE ... @mac... wow i was roaming on US Cellular in Crown Point indiana and my 1x sppeds were faster than Sprints 3g did not take a screen shot as I was at the hospital for a family emergency but it was about 345 kbits/s

At my house i get about 300kbps down and 400kbps up on 3g... I live towards the east side of Knoxville TN, but when I go to do something on the west side of town i get 1.7mbps down and 700kbps up on 3g... What the heck is up with that?

Migrated from Original Forum. Originally Posted 13 November 2011

I have yet to see anything in my area upgraded, usually around .5 to 1mb

I think most Sprint customers would be satisfied with those 3G speeds. That's similar to what we have here in rural Northern New Mexico. We have two towers that runs 500k to 1MB. All the others are 900k to 1.4MB.

At my house i get about 300kbps down and 400kbps up on 3g... I live towards the east side of Knoxville TN, but when I go to do something on the west side of town i get 1.7mbps down and 700kbps up on 3g... What the heck is up with that?

Hopefully, these stories of inconsistency will become a thing of the past after Network Vision.

Migrated from Original Forum. Originally Posted 14 November 2011

I catch myself complaining about the same thing myself. Lack of 4G towers.

Migrated from Original Forum. Originally Posted 15 November 2011

Noticed at Denver International Airport over the last two weeks or so, the 3G speeds have increased noticeably. Used to be somewhere around .05-.1 Mbps. Lately, it's been closer to .2-.3 Mbps. That's good, because it would take over one minute to load a basic web page and killed the battery when I was out there.

Migrated from Original Forum. Originally Posted 15 November 2011

The last time I was at DIA, I had to switch to my Verizon work BlackBerry. Because my Sprint data was soooo bad on my personal phone. It wouldn't even run the speed test.

Migrated from Original Forum. Originally Posted 17 November 2011

Mikey pittsburgh does have 4g its not rev b Sprint is not updating there network to rev b. I was told this by a Sprint rep they jumping the guns to lte as for now no more Wimax upgrades.Wimax is dead just like HD DVD player..I live in Allentown Pa at home I get one bar and recently lots of drop calls Sprint promise Wimax here but never happen!! Funny Verizon offers lte here so does metro..

• 7 months later...

Migrated from Original Forum. Originally Posted 17 November 2011

WiMax is dead. Stick a fork in it!

Robert,

I am still getting 8-12MB DL on my og Evo on Wimax.

However, I havent seen a 2MB DL on 3G in months now.

I usually Average about 300KB to 600KB DL now.

What the heck happened?

I have updated PRL and Profile.

Robert,

I am still getting 8-12MB DL on my og Evo on Wimax.

However, I havent seen a 2MB DL on 3G in months now.

I usually Average about 300KB to 600KB DL now.

What the heck happened?

I have updated PRL and Profile.

On 3G, this is a common problem with the band aid improvements (the ones shown at network.sprint.com). If you think about it, what happens when a 3G site bogs down and becomes unusable? People stop using it.

So, when a legacy site gets a temporary backhaul upgrade, the speeds go way up. Over 2Mbps in some instances. Everyone becomes happy again. And then people start using it again.

In fact, it works so well, so much better than ever that people use it more than ever before, once they realize the 3G is performing well again. People start streaming Netflix and Pandora, and they all are happy. More and more people realize and start using it. And then the speeds start going down again. Below 1Mbps. Then below 500kbps, and sometimes below 100kpbs...all over again.

The reason why is one of two reasons, and possibly both in many instances. Number one...now with extra usage that is occurring, the site now also needs an additional EVDO carrier. All the extra traffic now has drowned out the existing carrier load. Number two...the additional backhaul is insufficient for the new amount of traffic that is occurring at the site now that people are now using it again at much greater amounts than ever before.

As for the backhaul, there is no permanent solution until Network Vision comes with permanent upgraded backhaul. If they add another T1 line, it will likely get swamped too. As for additional carriers, they probably can add those. Calling Sprint and opening a ticket can get them to add more carriers in the long run.

However, 300k-600k speeds are near the normal Sprint posted speeds for 3G. Which if memory serves is 400k-1Mbps.

Robert