Upgrades After LTE is launched and the masses arrive

DaQue

I know this is a couple years out but I am curious and it keeps me busy while I wait.

As I understand it Sprint is rolling out G block LTE in the NV build out with a 5x5 format. Sooner or later the masses will come and more capacity will be needed to keep the service top tier. With the RRU's and upgraded cell site gear make it a lot easier to add additional 5x5 ore even maybe 10x10?

Will new gear have to go up the tower or is it mostly add new cards in the cabinets and some programing/configuration? I hope the RRU's handle the whole PCS band.Is there tons of paper work and permits to file?

I know this is a couple years out but I am curious and it keeps me busy while I wait.

As I understand it Sprint is rolling out G block LTE in the NV build out with a 5x5 format. Sooner or later the masses will come and more capacity will be needed to keep the service top tier. With the RRU's and upgraded cell site gear make it a lot easier to add additional 5x5 ore even maybe 10x10?

Will new gear have to go up the tower or is it mostly add new cards in the cabinets and some programing/configuration? I hope the RRU's handle the whole PCS band.Is there tons of paper work and permits to file?

It's easy to add capacity if Sprint has the spectrum spare in the market. A new carrier card is really all that is needed in the base cabinet. Existing RRU's and panels can accommodate extra LTE carriers in most instances.

Each RRU can handle up to four carriers. Each panel can handle two 800MHz RRU's and up to four 1900MHz RRU's. If the added LTE carrier exceeds the available capacity in RRU's, then a RRU will need to be added. If an added RRU exceeds the available capacity in the panel, then an additional panel could be needed.

Robert via Samsung Note II using Forum Runner

• Like 2

It's easy to add capacity if Sprint has the spectrum spare in the market. A new carrier card is really all that is needed in the base cabinet. Existing RRU's and panels can accommodate extra LTE carriers in most instances.

Each RRU can handle up to four carriers. Each panel can handle two 800MHz RRU's and up to four 1900MHz RRU's. If the added LTE carrier exceeds the available capacity in RRU's, then a RRU will need to be added. If an added RRU exceeds the available capacity in the panel, then an additional panel could be needed.

I should have picked this up by now but they require a truck roll in June to bring up 800mhz LTE, correct?

I should have picked this up by now but they require a truck roll in June to bring up 800mhz LTE' date=' correct?[/quote']

Yes. At a minimum, it will require an LTE 800 carrier card to be installed. If that's all that is needed, it would be a very quick visit at each site.

What I'm not clear on is whether LTE 800 can share the same RRU as CDMA 800. I had one source tell me it can. If so, it will be much easier. If LTE 800 is required to have its own RRU, then it would require a little more work, but nothing mind blowing. Just an additional RRU added near the panels. It shouldn't require an additional NV panel since the existing panels can handle two 800 RRU's.

We will know more probably after the LTE 800 FIT.

Yes. At a minimum, it will require an LTE 800 carrier card to be installed. If that's all that is needed, it would be a very quick visit at each site.

What I'm not clear on is whether LTE 800 can share the same RRU as CDMA 800. I had one source tell me it can. If so, it will be much easier. If LTE 800 is required to have its own RRU, then it would require a little more work, but nothing mind blowing. Just an additional RRU added near the panels. It shouldn't require an additional NV panel since the existing panels can handle two 800 RRU's.

We will know more probably after the LTE 800 FIT.

When is the FIT being constructed? And this is in North Dokota if I remember correctly?

When is the FIT being constructed? And this is in North Dokota if I remember correctly?

The last thing I seen on the LTE 800 FIT was supposed to be this Fall in Montana and New Orleans. However, I haven't seen anything on it since May.

The last thing I seen on the LTE 800 FIT was supposed to be this Fall in Montana and New Orleans. However, I haven't seen anything on it since May.

I'm surprised there isn't an Alcatel/Lucent 800 LTE FIT.

I'm surprised there isn't an Alcatel/Lucent 800 LTE FIT.

There very well may be. I haven't heard from the source where I learned about these two FIT's since May.

AlcaLu likely will use the very same FIT as they did 3G and LTE 1900. Whereas Samsung and Ericsson had separate 3G and LTE 1900 FIT's.

Woops, close enough!

• Like 1

Nice! Thanks for the info. I take it the RRUs are band specific and the 4 carriers can all be on one 1900MHz RRU.

Is that 4 LTE carriers or do you have to use one for the 3G/1x/voice?

Nice! Thanks for the info. I take it the RRUs are band specific and the 4 carriers can all be on one 1900MHz RRU.

Is that 4 LTE carriers or do you have to use one for the 3G/1x/voice?

For certain 1x and EVDO carriers can be on the same RRU. But we are not certain if LTE can be on the same RRU as CDMA, or if they must be separate. I'm not 100% sure.

• Like 1

For certain 1x and EVDO carriers can be on the same RRU. But we are not certain if LTE can be on the same RRU as CDMA, or if they must be separate. I'm not 100% sure.

Ok thanks. I know they got a LTE RRU up there somewhere so I guess they could add another LTE carrier on NV complete site pretty easy. This is great when the time comes for more carriers we won't need another 2 year build out.

Here in austin most of the NV towers have 1 NV antenna per sector and 2 or 3 RRU per antenna. There are of course usually 3 sector per tower in urban areas.

It would be interesting to see if that changes when they compete the NV transition. Which Sprint market has the most thorough/mature LTE buildout thus far? Do we have any confirmation that legacy equipment or antennas have been removed from any towers in the most "complete" NV markets?

I've seen most AT&T towers grow from 2 to 3 to 4 antennas per sector over the last 6 years. Yes i am such a nerd that i pay attention to and remember this stuff vividly. Many of their cellsites had 4 antennas per sector before LTE even rolled out, and they've always been doing 850+1900 GSM+HSPA in most markets.

I wonder if it would be advantageous in terms of network quality/capacity for Sprint to add an additional antenna or two per sector when the legacy hardware is removed.

Here in austin most of the NV towers have 1 NV antenna per sector and 2 or 3 RRU per antenna. There are of course usually 3 sector per tower in urban areas.

It would be interesting to see if that changes when they compete the NV transition. Which Sprint market has the most thorough/mature LTE buildout thus far? Do we have any confirmation that legacy equipment or antennas have been removed from any towers in the most "complete" NV markets?

I've seen most AT&T towers grow from 2 to 3 to 4 antennas per sector over the last 6 years. Yes i am such a nerd that i pay attention to and remember this stuff vividly. Many of their cellsites had 4 antennas per sector before LTE even rolled out' date=' and they've always been doing 850+1900 GSM+HSPA in most markets.

I wonder if it would be advantageous in terms of network quality/capacity for Sprint to add an additional antenna or two per sector when the legacy hardware is removed.[/quote']

Sprint NV panels can handle as many as 16 carriers and four RRU's. So a 2nd NV panel is only needed on really busy urban sites. Less than 5%.

Sprint panels currently have the densest antenna arrangement of any other else deployed. AT&T often has so many frequencies and technologies that they need so many panels.

• Like 1