Network Vision/LTE - Albuquerque market (including El Paso, Las Cruces, Santa Fe, Los Alamos, Roswell)

S4GRU

My question is when? Specifically for ABQ/SF.

Hi, I'm pretty new to the forums, so sorry if this has been addressed elsewhere, although I tried to skim this whole thread. 

I've got unlimited data and an iphone 5, but am apprehensive about staying with Sprint for a few reasons: 1) my download rates are at .2 mbps right now all over ABQ (even after the profile updates) 2) 4G seems like it's never coming and has been promised for so very long, and 3) I'm moving to Santa Fe in September and I feel like 4g or even just better 3g isn't more likely there than in Albuquerque. 

Do you have any info or any threads I can go to in order to be more informed or figure out why my data doesn't work? Or any info on when some of this stuff will be coming online? I know you're scouting new equipment being installed all over NM, but I'm frustrated at the wait nonetheless. Thanks, all.

Welcome.  I would recommend becoming a sponsor and you would have access to a lot of exiting information.  I can give you a little hint of it.  First, Network Vision is being deployed all across the state of New Mexico right now.  There are several sites accepted in both Abq and SF for 3g.  What this means is that, in general (not all cases, search gmo for more info), sites across the two cities have received brand new cabinets, panels/antennas, rrus.  Once the fiber optic lines are brought to these sites they should start broadcasting LTE very quickly, not months, but days or weeks.  There have been a couple issues with getting fiber to some of the sites, but that is getting worked out right now.  I wouldn't be surprised to see wide spread lte (especially in the metro's) around Abq and SF by the end of year.  It is also likely that smr voice, which will in most cases increase voice and texting signal substantially.  Meaning that if you have 1 bar in your house now, with smr you have see that pop up to 3 bars (results will vary).  Like I said initially, if you become a sponsor you can have access to which sites are already built out and tons of more useful information!  Hope that answers your questions.

My question is when? Specifically for ABQ/SF.

Hi, I'm pretty new to the forums, so sorry if this has been addressed elsewhere, although I tried to skim this whole thread. 

I've got unlimited data and an iphone 5, but am apprehensive about staying with Sprint for a few reasons: 1) my download rates are at .2 mbps right now all over ABQ (even after the profile updates) 2) 4G seems like it's never coming and has been promised for so very long, and 3) I'm moving to Santa Fe in September and I feel like 4g or even just better 3g isn't more likely there than in Albuquerque. 

Do you have any info or any threads I can go to in order to be more informed or figure out why my data doesn't work? Or any info on when some of this stuff will be coming online? I know you're scouting new equipment being installed all over NM, but I'm frustrated at the wait nonetheless. Thanks, all.

Here is the link to find out information on becoming a sponsor.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/1195-information-about-s4gru-sponsorship-levels-and-how-to-become-a-sponsor/

Robert,

what do you happen to know about the the part of the state that makes all the money for the rest? You know the south east part?

Robert W

You SE staters and your Permian Basin. :lol:

Always forget about the extensive oil and natural gas reserves in the north, in San Juan and Western Rio Arriba counties. Also, Los Alamos and Sandia Labs are also huge contributors to the state's economy.

The entirety of the Sprint network in New Mexico is being upgraded...from Farmington to Eunice. Every single site. About 1/4 of the sites have received physical upgrades including LTE equipment. CenturyLink and Windstream are providing high speed internet backhaul for most of the sites. As they get backhaul live at each site that has been upgraded, they will be able to turn on the LTE.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 using Tapatalk

I had a hard time finding a dedicated topic about El Paso, TX so I decided to create one.  El Paso has LTE but it hasn't been officially announced by Sprint and I don't know why.  Is it because Sprints still in the process of rolling it out or is it not that big of a deal?  Speeds vary with some hitting in the 10Mbps range and others in the 400Mbps.  Coverage is spotty as well.  The East side Tinseltown area is pretty fast but once you get in doors I'm back on that struggling 3G service. I'm using the Sensorly and Speedtest.net apps to collect data.  Now that I've created a new topic I'll be posting my results frequently.

I had a hard time finding a dedicated topic about El Paso, TX so I decided to create one.  El Paso has LTE but it hasn't been officially announced by Sprint and I don't know why.  Is it because Sprints still in the process of rolling it out or is it not that big of a deal?  Speeds vary with some hitting in the 10Mbps range and others in the 400Mbps.  Coverage is spotty as well.  The East side Tinseltown area is pretty fast but once you get in doors I'm back on that struggling 3G service. I'm using the Sensorly and Speedtest.net apps to collect data.  Now that I've created a new topic I'll be posting my results frequently.

Welcome to S4GRU!  :welcome:

El Paso is in the Albuquerque Market.  A moderator apparently moved your post here in the appropriate thread.

Sprint did announce that El Paso was being deployed.  However, work continues and it is not ready for launching yet.  In our Sponsor section, we show maps that show all the sites upgraded to date including El Paso.  It gets updated every day or two with new sites as they are accepted complete from Contractors.

For more information about how to become a S4GRU Sponsor, follow this link:  http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/1195-information-about-s4gru-sponsorship-levels-and-how-to-become-a-sponsor/

Robert

e2uzy6ug.jpgCurrently staying the night in Santa Fe. Came down from Durango (visiting from Chicago) this afternoon and stopped in Albuquerque to do errands with my sister (who lives in Durango).

No loss of coverage down 550, I faded in and out of roaming on commnet a lot though. I didn't pick up any LTE in ABQ, I was about a mile from a 3G/4G accepted site.

In Santa Fe I got good EVDO speeds up in the square/downtown. Where I'm at now is really slow.

Coverage seems good in all the towns/cities I've been to and overall (including roaming) I've never had better coverage. On the way down 550 my sisters att phone lost service a lot while I didn't haha.

So far most everywhere I've gone has usable EVDO to some degree. I guess not many have sprint in these parts of the country.

• Like 1

e2uzy6ug.jpgCurrently staying the night in Santa Fe. Came down from Durango (visiting from Chicago) this afternoon and stopped in Albuquerque to do errands with my sister (who lives in Durango).No loss of coverage down 550, I faded in and out of roaming on commnet a lot though. I didn't pick up any LTE in ABQ, I was about a mile from a 3G/4G accepted site. In Santa Fe I got good EVDO speeds up in the square/downtown. Where I'm at now is really slow. Coverage seems good in all the towns/cities I've been to and overall (including roaming) I've never had better coverage. On the way down 550 my sisters att phone lost service a lot while I didn't haha. So far most everywhere I've gone has usable EVDO to some degree. I guess not many have sprint in these parts of the country.

No not a lot. It is dominated by Verizon. I get good speeds in Albuquerque except for a few towers at peek times.

Any updates on the far west side of El Paso? When 4G Is going to be rolling on? In El Paso The highest speed I got was 16.34 MBPS.

As you know the rollout is currently in your area. Also that speed is higher than the advertised speeds. I think the only way to get higher is through td-lte. I am stuck on 3G is abq and I would love lte.

Site in progress in abq near osuna and Jefferson at Calvary church. Pulled over 2 mbps download but no 4g.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Good find.  I usually drive by that every day, but i haven't this week.  crazy that in a week or two a site will get done. 

I am fine with that pace.

Good find. I usually drive by that every day, but i haven't this week. crazy that in a week or two a site will get done.

I am fine with that pace.

walking into church this morning and was like wohhh, sweet! Haha.

• Like 1

Does anyone have an estimate on when the albuquerque metro area will start seeing LTE

it should be fairly soon. Tower upgrades have taken place all over the city and are continuing. We are now just waiting on the backhaul (high speed internet) to be brought to and connected to the sites. I'm trying to be optimistic and am hoping to see the first sites within a month.

• Like 1

it should be fairly soon. Tower upgrades have taken place all over the city and are continuing. We are now just waiting on the backhaul (high speed internet) to be brought to and connected to the sites. I'm trying to be optimistic and am hoping to see the first sites within a month.

no idea. it is all backhaul related right now. edit; i was beaten to the punch.

I was wondering because I noitced on sensosly there some signals of LTE in between raton and springer

I was wondering because I noitced on sensosly there some signals of LTE in between raton and springer

Grey traces do not indicate LTE.  Sprint has no native coverage whatsoever north of Las Vegas.

AJ

LTE Popped up in Cruces Yesterday.  Cant map, but someone has done a little.  At least the tower is close enough to my house to use it :-)

That was me mapping. I was driving about and 4G popped up and went away shortly after starting the mapping process. Then a little while later popped up and went away again in only seconds. I think they are testing the tower. I don't know if that means that they are just testing THAT tower, or all of them. However, it is a good sign. I think "soon" is still the word of the day.

As far as I know, almost all towers here have been upgraded to new equipment. Just that one was the only 3G/4g so far. This was the first tower that was upgraded in cruces so it could have been the only one approved before the centurylink ordeal

I'm starting to map around that tower little by little. It is definitely only the one tower online for LTE. As others come online I will make a serious attempt at mapping out the holes from other mappers. There is at least one other person mapping highway 70, possibly two. I won't make a serious attempt at mapping until more towers come online.