Network Vision/LTE - Albuquerque market (including El Paso, Las Cruces, Santa Fe, Los Alamos, Roswell)

S4GRU

Just notice some crew workers working on a possible Sprint tower, it seems like they are replacing the antennas.

I haven't and I'm in the NE, but after hearing people are getting it all over the country I really don't think it's anything but a marketing ploy.

Sent from my Nexus 5

• Like 1

I think you are right. I think they are pushing their new smartphone buying plans. I am wondering how quick they will have sprint spark up and going after the light up the LTE? My wife needs that 800 at work, she can not maintain a signal and it just kills her phone.

Is it "Network Vision" or "Network Hallucination"? I am starting to think the Not Now Network is run by people doing LSD. While CS talks about the multiple upgrades, my data and voice flicker on and off. No big deal, though. I have awhile left with Sprint.

Why do you ask? Just curiosity?

I talked to a rep and they said the tower near me was 4g accepted but it doesn't face me, but i get voice from this site. Its the tower behind legacy church.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

I talked to a rep and they said the tower near me was 4g accepted but it doesn't face me, but i get voice from this site. Its the tower behind legacy church.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

That rep is not accurate. I just signed in to the system and there still are no 4G sites accepted in the ABQ metro area. There was a site near Jefferson and I-25 that was 4G accepted last summer. But the backhaul had to be rejected because it didn't meet spec.

CenturyLink sold Sprint on a temporary copper backhaul solution, but it was only hitting 22Mbps in the field at the router. By the time it was split between six EVDO carrier/sectors and three LTE sectors, the LTE would only run at 4-5Mbps completely unburdened. And since it would be the only LTE site in the area, it would be overburdened. Most likely running under 1Mbps.

So rightly so, Sprint rejected CenturyLink's temporary solution and is waiting on permanent backhaul. This is also why there was a slow site in Cruces where they tried the same thing. After a few weeks, the Sprint system showed 4G was no longer accepted at that one ABQ site and we removed it from our maps.

From the recent spate of increased 3G speeds around ABQ Metro, it seems plausible that backhaul has arrived at many of the sites. If so, there could be some LTE acceptances soon. Or it's possible that CenturyLink is so far behind that they have added a lot more copper backhaul to 3G sites to help tie you over until fiber and LTE arrive.

Sprint never should have used CenturyLink to bring backhaul to sites where they don't already have fiber nearby. Verizon used a lot of microwave in New Mexico. They knew there were some places they could easily get backhaul. They just beam it out from the easy places to their sites using MW links. Two years ago, people were mocking the use of microwave and LTE. Everyone was screaming for fiber.

But in a backwards place like New Mexico with an inept ILEC like CenturyLink, microwave backhaul is the right call.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

Those texts that relate to the network from Sprint isn't just on the account holders phone. I just got one saying over the next few months the network will be completed in your area. I wonder what few months means, 3 months? 6 months? Year?  :lol:

I just got the text in NE Heights. I am not holding my breath though.

Already activated my son's inactive phone on Ting. If it goes well, I will probably pay ETF's on my other three Sprint lines and save $.

Ting looks promising. The only disadvantages are:

1: No data roaming. Still have call and text roaming on VZW, though.

2: No necessarily a better deal for large data users.

Otherwise, you get all access to Sprint. 4G included.

Looks like a fantastic alternative for most people.

That rep is not accurate. I just signed in to the system and there still are no 4G sites accepted in the ABQ metro area. There was a site near Jefferson and I-25 that was 4G accepted last summer. But the backhaul had to be rejected because it didn't meet spec.

CenturyLink sold Sprint on a temporary copper backhaul solution, but it was only hitting 22Mbps in the field at the router. By the time it was split between six EVDO carrier/sectors and three LTE sectors, the LTE would only run at 4-5Mbps completely unburdened. And since it would be the only LTE site in the area, it would be overburdened. Most likely running under 1Mbps.

So rightly so, Sprint rejected CenturyLink's temporary solution and is waiting on permanent backhaul. This is also why there was a slow site in Cruces where they tried the same thing. After a few weeks, the Sprint system showed 4G was no longer accepted at that one ABQ site and we removed it from our maps.

From the recent spate of increased 3G speeds around ABQ Metro, it seems plausible that backhaul has arrived at many of the sites. If so, there could be some LTE acceptances soon. Or it's possible that CenturyLink is so far behind that they have added a lot more copper backhaul to 3G sites to help tie you over until fiber and LTE arrive.

Sprint never should have used CenturyLink to bring backhaul to sites where they don't already have fiber nearby. Verizon used a lot of microwave in New Mexico. They knew there were some places they could easily get backhaul. They just beam it out from the easy places to their sites using MW links. Two years ago, people were mocking the use of microwave and LTE. Everyone was screaming for fiber.

But in a backwards place like New Mexico with an inept ILEC like CenturyLink, microwave backhaul is the right call.

With the delay of Centurylink, it makes me think that I should not expect LTE until the summer (at the earliest).  I have been able to stream music almost all over town now. I don't really have any complaints except for the delay of LTE.  Anyways, I know it is coming. Just wish sooner.

With the delay of Centurylink, it makes me think that I should not expect LTE until the summer (at the earliest). I have been able to stream music almost all over town now. I don't really have any complaints except for the delay of LTE. Anyways, I know it is coming. Just wish sooner.

I feel that some of the sites around town have to have fiber. The tests we've performed at some sites can't lie. Unless Sprint waits to integrate lte in a cluster here, I don't see a reason why we won't see lte in the next month or so. Maybe...hopefully...please... ;)

Sent from my Nexus 5

I feel that some of the sites around town have to have fiber. The tests we've performed at some sites can't lie. Unless Sprint waits to integrate lte in a cluster here, I don't see a reason why we won't see lte in the next month or so. Maybe...hopefully...please... ;)

Sent from my Nexus 5

If we are just waiting on Ericsson LTE integration teams to come to the new suspected fiber sites, then they will be live soon. If they don't come on within 2-3 weeks, we will know the answer.

Robert via Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

G

If we are just waiting on Ericsson LTE integration teams to come to the new suspected fiber sites, then they will be live soon. If they don't come on within 2-3 weeks, we will know the answer.

Robert via Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Sent from my Nexus 5

Good points. This next month will be a tell.

If Alamogordo only has one tower, will fiber and LTE be any good? Won't the pipe just fill up with all of the bandwidth hogs? I can get pings below or around 100 and downloads close to 2mb. Peek hours pings go up to 150-200 with downloads drop to 130kbp. I am wondering how much better it is going to be with only one Tower that will be 3G/4G?

If Alamogordo only has one tower, will fiber and LTE be any good? Won't the pipe just fill up with all of the bandwidth hogs? I can get pings below or around 100 and downloads close to 2mb. Peek hours pings go up to 150-200 with downloads drop to 130kbp. I am wondering how much better it is going to be with only one Tower that will be 3G/4G?

Not necessarily. The capacity of one LTE carrier is equal to four EVDO carriers. And since there is probably only one or two EVDO carriers at the site in Alamogordo now, this will be an exponential amount of data capacity.

Additionally, I believe Alamogordo is just outside the IBEZ if memory serves and can receive a Band 26 LTE carrier too, doubling LTE capacity even further.

And if it is not enough, I believe the WiMax Protection Site is on a different tower. Sprint can convert that to NV and add even more capacity. And if Sprint adds Band 41 to this site, or both, the amount of capacity for a city the size of the Fat Cottonwood would be astronomical.

So it's not as bad as it may seem. One LTE carrier will likely provide fair to good service. And Sprint has lots of options to increase capacity further.

Not necessarily. The capacity of one LTE carrier is equal to four EVDO carriers. And since there is probably only one or two EVDO carriers at the site in Alamogordo now, this will be an exponential amount of data capacity.

Additionally, I believe Alamogordo is just outside the IBEZ if memory serves and can receive a Band 26 LTE carrier too, doubling LTE capacity even further.

And if it is not enough, I believe the WiMax Protection Site is on a different tower. Sprint can convert that to NV and add even more capacity. And if Sprint adds Band 41 to this site, or both, the amount of capacity for a city the size of the Fat Cottonwood would be astronomical.

So it's not as bad as it may seem. One LTE carrier will likely provide fair to good service. And Sprint has lots of options to increase capacity further.

Thank you Robert. I knew I did not have the whole picture. I did not know sprint had the option to upgrade the WiMAX site. I hope they do. I think that they need one more site here if they want to keep good speeds in the future. We are outside the IBEZ. So I hope the 800 comes with or shortly after LTE. Will they need more hardware upgrades to do that?

• Like 1

So I hope the 800 comes with or shortly after LTE. Will they need more hardware upgrades to do that?

If they install the 800 RRU now (like they are doing up in ABQ & Clovis), then it's just a matter of stopping back by and installing the Band 26 LTE carrier card at the RBS and integrating it with the network.  Pretty simple stuff.

Robert

If they install the 800 RRU now (like they are doing up in ABQ & Clovis), then it's just a matter of stopping back by and installing the Band 26 LTE carrier card at the RBS and integrating it with the network.  Pretty simple stuff.

Robert

So this is what went up last month. Are these the 800 RRU?

100_4428.JPG

So this is what went up last month. Are these the 800 RRU?

I can't say with 100% certainty because Ericsson 800 and 1900 RRU's look the same.  However, the fact that there are four is a very good sign.  I feel with 95% certainty that one of them is likely 800.

Robert