Sprint's Tarazi: Network Vision 2.0 is our HetNet strategy

supert0nes

http://www.fiercebroadbandwireless.com/story/sprints-tarazi-explains-hetnets-and-network-vision-20/2012-10-03

Network Vision 2.0 will take the core and add some more capabilities to it and allow us to extend it to 800 (MHz) LTE. The work we announced with Clearwire (NASDAQ:CLWR) on 2.5 (GHz) TD-LTE, interoperability with all the small cells--picos, femtos and e-femtos--is in a seamless way. And all of the next-generation integration with Wi-Fi hotspots and the combination of all these tools now--CDMA, LTE at 1.9, LTE at 800, LTE at 2.5, picos, femtos and Wi-Fi--is also in a seamless manner The customers don't have to know they're moving back and forth, but they get the benefit of the scale that is in essence the next-generation core and radio technology we're deploying.

So much for NV 2.0 being the great expansion into rural areas using CDMA/LTE-800. Good to see they are embracing WIFI, though.

Also interesting, they are calling LTE-800/LTE-2500 "Network Vision 2.0" now. I guess that makes sense. Interview details more about Sprint's plan for pico cells too.

• Like 1

http://www.fiercebro...n-20/2012-10-03

So much for NV 2.0 being the great expansion into rural areas using CDMA/LTE-800. Good to see they are embracing WIFI, though.

Also interesting, they are calling LTE-800/LTE-2500 "Network Vision 2.0" now. I guess that makes sense. Interview details more about Sprint's plan for pico cells too.

I guess that means 800 is a long way off.

sent from my 3VO from another EVO

edit: damn

As you know, in Network Vision 1.0, we are deploying CDMA at 1.9 (GHz)--the G-Block--plus we're deploying next-generation CDMA,. We're integrating both CDMA and LTE together, and we're launching 800 (MHz) spectrum for CDMA.

http://www.fiercebroadbandwireless.com/story/sprints-tarazi-explains-hetnets-and-network-vision-20/2012-10-03

So much for NV 2.0 being the great expansion into rural areas using CDMA/LTE-800. Good to see they are embracing WIFI' date=' though.

Also interesting, they are calling LTE-800/LTE-2500 "Network Vision 2.0" now. I guess that makes sense. Interview details more about Sprint's plan for pico cells too.[/quote']

Sounds like all Network Vision 2.0 is LTE Advanced.

Nothing to surprising .

So much for NV 2.0 being the great expansion into rural areas using CDMA/LTE-800.

Why in the world would Sprint ever commit to a "great expansion into rural areas"? Robber barons VZW and AT&T bought out basically everything. The cellular frontier is closed.

AJ

I think a better way to think of this article is to think NV 1.0 is more of a macro network level so think MANs & WANs then NV 2.0 is more of a micro level where you will fill in the gaps and leverage the 800/1900/2500 portfolio even better via Pico Cells and Distributed Antannae Systems (DAS) to increase coverage to where people always complain about like the nook and crannies of buildings & arenas. An example of this would be when I worked in a building as a contractor where the whole building was made of concrete and never got any good signal period. So I think this is not really anything different than what NV when done in its entirity was not going to be a sweet bad mother of a network! This is just more of my interpretation of the article. Please do not pelt me with rocks!

Why in the world would Sprint ever commit to a "great expansion into rural areas"? Robber barons VZW and AT&T bought out basically everything. The cellular frontier is closed.

AJ

It isn't really closed, it just appears that way financially. ;)

In docs we have seen, LTE 800 and LTE 2600 have always been referred to as LTE 2.0, with the timelines of starting in Mid 2013. I don't see anything in this article that makes me think there is any slip on Mid 2013 of LTE 800 or LTE 2600.

Robert

• Like 4

AJ

USCC and Smalltel (ATNI dba Alltel) would not hurt, especially considering that's area where Sprint isn't and nothing else than either Verizon or AT&T is at. In most USCC or Smalltel areas, one carrier is dominant the the other of the Big 2 neglects. Example. Southern Illinois, Verizon is king and Sprint is a brick along with AT&T, Smalltel can't compete because they don't have the money or power to take on Verizon 4G directly. Cross the river to Southeast Missouri where US Cellular is the main competitor to AT&T, and Verizon is absent altogether through large chunks of the region.

As far as the west where AT&T and Verizon are the only carriers, once Network Vision is complete, I think there's opportunity for Sprint to build out on the Interstates. That's it.

Didn't know ATNI had ownership in GT&T.

Now if they would finally finish the damn fiber upgrades and bring 3G to Guyana :D

Staying close to topic, the general vibe is that Sprint is just not interested in rural deployment at this time(outside of that 800 LTE site in Montana). So I don't see an acquisition in the cards.

Sent from my TITAN X310e using Board Express