Network Vision/LTE - Tampa Market

Feech

Did some driving for work this morning. Took 52 towards 19 in Hudson, north to Spring Hill. On the way back to my office in Tampa, I went out County Line Rd, and south on 41. I was hoping to find additional coverage beyond the one site at Shady Hills, but nothing yet.

However, I got some of my best 3G speeds ever, while on US41. Broke 2Mbps a few times.

I was just looking at sensory, and it's truely amazing to see the amount of work sprint is putting into their network. We are so focused on the bay area that I don't think some of us don't appreciate what sprint is doing. I see Gainsville got their first tower lit up. There's a couple towers in Orlando going. And of course up and down the east coast. I even see New Orleans got their first tower. I know sprint put themselves behind the 8 ball, but it's clear that they want to give us the best possible network as soon as can humanly be done. I just thought it was cool to look at sensory and see how far sprint has come in a few months.

and I like how they are letting us use it early

Mapped a bit more on sensorly in the Dunedin area this morning.

James that site up there is sick. Is there any part of Dunedin that isn't getting a taste of LTE? It ain't that big up there

James, I know you have been doing a lot of mapping on sensorly. Do you think that there is a few more towers active? I'm looking at the barnes and Noble off 19N and by the Codys? I think someone on this thread reported awhile back that there could have been NV panels on a rooftop on 19N but I can't remember.

The Barnes and Noble I was at during Christmas and I can tell you there wasn't a sniff of LTE there. Sensorly is showing a pretty dark maker there now. Looking at the maps there could be 3-4 sites lit up between SR60 and Curlew. I know i put a lot of stock in that site but for example. That site in Dunedin seems to be handing off to another site to the west judging from the dark shade, light shade, then back to dark.

What do you other guys think that know the Pinellas area

This afternoon's work took me to St. Petersburg. I couldn't get 4G in my part of downtown (Beach Drive, to be exact), but on the way back to Tampa, I did manage to get a weak 4G signal on the Howard Frankland Bridge, from the Pinellas side, to the hump. Once I crossed into Hillsborough, it was gone.

Not much speed, and barely usable. But it was enough to keep the 4G indicator lit. When that tower on the Pinellas side of the bridge is done, coverage across the Bay should be good.

Sensorly should have it soon, if not already.

James that site up there is sick. Is there any part of Dunedin that isn't getting a taste of LTE? It ain't that big up there

I think Dunedin is for the most part completely covered.

James, I know you have been doing a lot of mapping on sensorly. Do you think that there is a few more towers active? I'm looking at the barnes and Noble off 19N and by the Codys? I think someone on this thread reported awhile back that there could have been NV panels on a rooftop on 19N but I can't remember.

The Barnes and Noble I was at during Christmas and I can tell you there wasn't a sniff of LTE there. Sensorly is showing a pretty dark maker there now. Looking at the maps there could be 3-4 sites lit up between SR60 and Curlew. I know i put a lot of stock in that site but for example. That site in Dunedin seems to be handing off to another site to the west judging from the dark shade, light shade, then back to dark.

What do you other guys think that know the Pinellas area

Not sure if something is active by Barnes and noble but it does look like it could be. As far as to the west of the big tower in Dunedin it could be the other tower near the hospital.

Why is it that the Clearwater/St. Pete area are seeing a lot of LTE signal and nothing happening in Hillsborough County? Whats going on?

I wouldn't say we are seeing nothing in Hillsborough.... There are a few sites that have panels up, but most of the work does indeed seem to be going on in St. Pete.

Why is it that the Clearwater/St. Pete area are seeing a lot of LTE signal and nothing happening in Hillsborough County? Whats going on?

I'm not sure. I think things are going on in Hillsborough just not as out there and lit up yet. When I was climbing towers I can tell you we were in some out of the way places in Hillsborough that you can't just see from the road. I said it awhile ago that when Pinellas lit up it was going to be fast and big(something like that at least) Pinellas is unique because you can be at 4 towers within 10 min. Hell I can see tower to tower in most cases over here it's very easy to work and move here and provide coverage pretty quick. When you look at Sensorly how many towers are providing usable LTE coverage. Even weak signals I'm seeing are providing 3Mbs speeds. That's impressive with very little deployment and plenty to do.

Everything I say is speculation of course but it's something to think about.

I just got word from a source that Ericsson was able to get a site in Safety Harbor (9th Ave N) and one on the South Side of Clearwater (US 19/Auburn) signed off as complete yesterday.

Robert

• Like 3

Ugh, for some reason I have two profiles...guess I messed up when signing up...I'll ask if an admin can merge them...

GRRR...remember that link I posted about the problems in Indian Rocks Beach? We are one zipcode over from them and now have NO VOICE...but we have LTE. Thank goodness for Skype and TextPlus = had to use them to reach people today. ETA for resolution is tomorrow morning. All Sprint could offer was a $10 credit. I told them I'd be happier if they sent out an email blast to users within our zip code to inform us of problems...I'm sure there are folks out there who are missing calls and text messages and don't even know it!

Edited by verngator

I just got word from a source that Ericsson was able to get a site in Safety Harbor (9th Ave N) and one on the South Side of Clearwater (US 19/Auburn) signed off as complete yesterday.

Robert

I mapped the one US19/Missouri one yesterday that's also the one where I met the Ericsson Tech on the conference call. Thanks for looking out for us Robert. You have some real maniacs in the Tampa market, you said in a post awhile back that members were discovering sites before you were getting updates. Tampa is definitely in a race with you.

• Like 1

Ugh, for some reason I have two profiles...guess I messed up when signing up...I'll ask if an admin can merge them...

GRRR...remember that link I posted about the problems in Indian Rocks Beach? We are one zipcode over from them and now have NO VOICE...but we have LTE. Thank goodness for Skype and TextPlus = had to use them to reach people today. ETA for resolution is tomorrow morning. All Sprint could offer was a $10 credit. I told them I'd be happier if they sent out an email blast to users within our zip code to inform us of problems...I'm sure there are folks out there who are missing calls and text messages and don't even know it!

I was about to say I remember the post but saw that you only one post under this profile

I was about to say I remember the post but saw that you only one post under this profile

The Admin was nice enough to merge the accounts for me :)

Now I'll go back to complaining about my voice service...

• Like 1

Did one of you guys map on the Courtney Campbell today? I'm curious as to where that LTE is actually coming from since there is so much open space out there.

Spence, I think it may be possible that the tower Robert said is complete in Safety Harbor might be the same one that threw that signal over the bridge.

• Like 1

The Admin was nice enough to merge the accounts for me :)

Now I'll go back to complaining about my voice service...

I'm sorry but I blew by something that you said. Did you say you are getting LTE in Indian Rocks Beach? Have you mapped on sensorly? because I see no markers over there. Can you mark it for us when you are out and about. How good is your signal?
  • Like 1

There is a massive hole in the LTE coverage in St. Pete still. Pretty much everything east of 275 has no or no useable LTE.