Network Vision/LTE - Tampa Market

Feech

Spent some time around the Land o' Lakes tower this evening. I discovered that the Speedtest.net application, is much better for measuring the performance of these sites. The Sensorly test gave me 8-9Mbps, over several tests. While parked in the same position, the Speedtest.net app reported just over 30Mbps down. That just makes me want LTE coverage even more than I did.

I guess I can't take screenshots on a non-rooted device, so I'll have to find other way to show my results.

ya i don't find there test as accurate as speedtest.net

No I didn't. But' date=' my buddy that has a sg3 got a 4g signal on his phone but not mine. I was standing 3 feet from him. But he only had it for a minute or 2.[/quote']

I was sitting at the warehouse and looked down and it said 4g so I went to sensory and it was back to 3g and is showed full bars on 4g and when it went back to 3g I only had 3 bars. Just enough to tease lol.

Spent some time around the Land o' Lakes tower this evening. I discovered that the Speedtest.net application, is much better for measuring the performance of these sites. The Sensorly test gave me 8-9Mbps, over several tests. While parked in the same position, the Speedtest.net app reported just over 30Mbps down. That just makes me want LTE coverage even more than I did.

I guess I can't take screenshots on a non-rooted device, so I'll have to find other way to show my results.

And using different servers on the Speedtest app will produce varying results as well. And using Sprint, usually different servers are better for 3G EVDO than 4G WiMax than 4G LTE. It takes some hunting around to find the ideal speed test servers for your technology and location.

Robert

I was sitting at the warehouse and looked down and it said 4g so I went to sensory and it was back to 3g and is showed full bars on 4g and when it went back to 3g I only had 3 bars. Just enough to tease lol.

I allways get 4 to 5 bars and my 3G speedtest have been really fast. On the low side I get 1.25 mbps down, average is 1.8, and a high of 2.3.

If you are talking to me Wildman, it's the water resource complex in St. Pete on 16 St. N. and 3rd Ave. N.

Ok, thanks. That's on the north end of the coverage provided so far by the one tower lit up in St. Pete. I can only imagine what it will be like when they get the towers that have hardware installed on them now fired up. I'm going to take a motorcycle ride around today and see what I can find on my side of town, basically the furthest southeast and east bordering sites in the Tampa market.

Also, judging by the signals so far, has anyone checked out the tower at Fort Desoto Park?

[update at 12:24 21DEC] Nothing going on in my neck of the woods (Riverview, Sun City Center, Apollo Beach, Wimauma, Valrico, and Brandon that I can find). All activity is either in St. Pete or to the north.

Ok, thanks. That's on the north end of the coverage provided so far by the one tower lit up in St. Pete. I can only imagine what it will be like when they get the towers that have hardware installed on them now fired up. I'm going to take a motorcycle ride around today and see what I can find on my side of town, basically the furthest southwest and west bordering sites in the Tampa market.

Also, judging by the signals so far, has anyone checked out the tower at Fort Desoto Park?

Wildman, I asked last week but you may have missed it if you had the impression that the signal you were getting was coming from that one tower or if possibly it could have been coming from the other side so the bridge or another tower?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Wildman, I asked last week but you may have missed it if you had the impression that the signal you were getting was coming from that one tower or if possibly it could have been coming from the other side so the bridge or another tower?

Sorry, must have missed that. I got the feeling it was from one tower, but wondered if the Fort Desoto tower could have been operating too. I was thinking of taking a ride into the park and checking out the status there. Being an Amateur Radio operator as well, I suspected I was still getting signals from that tower on the bridge due to propagation of the signal over the seawater there.

So finally caught him.. Unfortunately, I caught him while he was on a conference call. Thus what he told me. The Tampa market SHOULD have about 75 LTE sites broadcasting by the end of the year. He said they wouldn't be concentrated in one area but he definitely said they would be some sites in Pinellas County that were along 19N he mentioned that around the first of the year we may hear an announcement. I'm thinking maybe a few cities within the market.

He said fiber, microwave, and some ethernet is what they are using for backhaul.

Think the guy was legit. Says there are a lot if people in involved and he was strictly cabinets so wasn't sure of everything. Definitely a better resource than the last guy I met.

If I were going to dissect what he said I would say it sounds about right. I saw him at another in progress site we didn't know about until now. That would be about 10 or more sites including the one that is lit up in St Petersburg. That's just the ones we have seen, plus possibly one other I haven't been back by yet and only in Pinellas County. I think it safe to say there are others we haven't seen yet either in Pinellas and absolutely in Hillsborough. We will know I am another week or so or possibly with Roberts update on Sunday

• Like 4

One other thing he says they are not lighting up one particular area but that is the one thing that is false. Maybe he doesn't know the turn on part, but this site I saw him at fits in nicely with the site that Tux has been watching like a hawk on Railroad and other sites in that area. All of those sites are on the sites complete maps in the Sponsor section.

One other thing he says they are not lighting up one particular area but that is the one thing that is false. Maybe he doesn't know the turn on part, but this site I saw him at fits in nicely with the site that Tux has been watching like a hawk on Railroad and other sites in that area. All of those sites are on the sites complete maps in the Sponsor section.

I don't think it's false. I think what he means is that they are not focusing only on one area with this initial deployment. For instance, not all the initial sites are in Pinellas. Or just Central Tampa. But rather they are all over the market. If that's what he meant, then that is essentially true.

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

I don't think it's false. I think what he means is that they are not focusing only on one area with this initial deployment. For instance, not all the initial sites are in Pinellas. Or just Central Tampa. But rather they are all over the market. If that's what he meant, then that is essentially true.

And what do you think of the 75 sites by end of year up and running?

I think it's based on the fact that he knows (or believes) that there are 75 sites that have had panels installed on. If that's true, and it seems plausible, then it would only be a matter of backhaul being connected and provisioned as well as the cabinets setup being completed.

I wouldn't hold my breath. It seems like an unprecedented move to have 75 sites go live in one market in a weeks time. However, I am encouraged that 75 sites may be nearing readiness. And if they can get 10-15 of those turned on every week, I'd be very happy with that.

• Like 1

If this is even patially true, I imagine I'll be putting a lot of miles on my vehicle mapping LTE on Sensorly over the holiday.... :)

Sent from my Galaxy S III

• Like 1

If this is even patially true, I imagine I'll be putting a lot of miles on my vehicle mapping LTE on Sensorly over the holiday.... :)

Sent from my Galaxy S III

We have seen in other market updates from Robert that its not unusual to see 30, 40, or 50 sites accepted in a week so I believe its absolutely possible. I just think we would have seen more activity if that many sites have been completed but when I add in how many rooftop sites that we can't see or aren't looking for its completely plausible.

• Like 1