Network Vision/LTE - Memphis Market

dmaxx67

I got it to lock again and tried to do a speed test' date=' but I lost the signal in the middle of it. I can't seem to get it to lock again to run sensorly.

Edit: I have the Samsung Galaxy Nexus not the Ego LTE.[/quote']

Heh, heh, heh. He said "Ego"...

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

• Like 3

I was back in the same part of town tonight and locked back on to an LTE signal. This stretch of HWY 64 near Germantown Pkwy is the only place in the city that I have been able to get a 4g signal. This time I'm running sensorly so hopefully I can provide Robert with some useful info.

I see one small LTE blip now in Sensorly off I-40 & exit 16 (North Germantown Pkwy) north of Cordova that I think might be akin to what you're talking about, its a little south of Hwy 64 though.

Edit: Should point out that you have to zoom in a bit to see it, it didn't show up for me when pulled back to the entire initial national view.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Looks like Memphis is building steam. Looks like coverage is starting in north Mississippi also.

I was hoping someone would come along. This thread has been dead for awhile. I was wondering if all the Sprint folks fled Memphis. :lol:

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

Yea just got LG optimus g yesterday. Awesome phone so far. While i was in the store I spoke to a guy that is in memphis upgrading the towers. He said it is going slower than it was supposed to be. Anyways from all the info i have read on this site and some interviews with sprint guys on youtube i believe that once this network is complete we will have one of the best overall networks. All the disappointment was worth it. I do know that they have come all the way down I-55 into northern MS. I am waiting to see if they have upgraded the tower I use off Starlanding Rd. I will try and get some pictures of it and post on this thread soon.

Edited by dmaxx67
  • Like 1

I was hoping someone would come along. This thread has been dead for awhile. I was wondering if all the Sprint folks fled Memphis. :lol:

I have family there... in fact when I was last in town last month my mom's house was just on the fringe of LTE coverage (sometimes I could get it in the driveway, but usually it cut out just as I turned onto her street). I'm also responsible for the Sensorly smudges northeast of Olive Branch/southwest of Collierville, due to the tower out near Forest Hill-Irene & Shelby Drive, I think.

• Like 1

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

It's been a while since been on the sight but im glad to be back!!

Yesterday I drove down Tchulohma all the way to 302 and registered 4g all the way til i drove over 302. I uploaded results on sensorly but they still havent updated. Do they have to have more than one person register 4g in an area before updating map. Is there a way for me to resend that info?

Sensorly can be slow to update at times; you may also need to zoom in and out of the area for the map tile cache to update.

Also, it's possible your info didn't upload right away; if you have a large number of "messages to send" on the Details screen, Sensorly's data collection may have been down.

Its nice to be finally be able to ride around and get 4g most of the time. I need to do some more speedtest. Anyone else been pulling numbers for memphis?

Finally got some real LTE in Olive Branch last week after my ice hockey game. Best speeds I've seen in Desoto County so far. 27Mbps Down and 8.3Mbps Up at 9:19pm from the tower in OB off Hacks Cross. I was less than a mile from it.

There was major cable trenching from Southaven to Olive Branch along Goodman Rd the past few weeks. It looked to be fiber(orange) and black conduit.

Just the other day I saw this site that isn't listed as "In Progress" with cables and pulley's hanging off of it. I don't have pics so I can't post about it in the Report In Progress thread. This site wasn't far from the trenching either.

Getwell and Goodman

Let the Sensorly mapping continue!

• Like 1

Anyone know who is laying the fiber? I hope this means i can get real high speed internet and dump my satellite internet. I miss comcast internet everyday. Without ot I cant start my new vpn project.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• large.unreadcontent.png.6ef00db54e758d06

• gallery_1_23_9202.png

• On Reddit, someone asked (skeptically) if the US Cellular buyout would result in better service.  I'd been pondering this very issue, and decided to cross-post my response here: I've been pondering the question in the title and I've come to the conclusion that the answer is that it's possible. Hear me out. Unlike some of the small carriers that work exclusively with one larger carrier, all three major carriers roam on US Cellular today in at least some areas, so far as I know. If that network ceases to exist, then the carriers would presumably want to recover those areas of lost service by building out natively. Thus, people in those areas who may only have service from US Cellular or from US Cellular and one other may gain competition from other carriers backfilling that loss. How likely is it? I'm not sure. But it's definitely feasible. Most notably, AT&T did their big roaming deal with US Cellular in support of FirstNet in places where they lacked native coverage. They can't just lose a huge chunk of coverage whole still making FirstNet happy; I suspect they'll have to build out and recover at least some of that area, if not most of it. So it'd be indirect, but I could imagine it. - Trip
    • Historically, T-Mobile has been the only carrier contracting with Crown Castle Solutions, at least in Brooklyn. I did a quick count of the ~35 nodes currently marked as "installed" and everything mapped appears to be T-Mobile. However, they have a macro sector pointed directly at this site and seem to continue relying on the older-style DAS nodes. Additionally, there's another Crown Castle Solutions node approved for construction just around the corner, well within range of their macro. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Verizon using a new vendor for their mmWave build, especially since the macro site directly behind this node lacks mmWave/CBRS deployment (limited to LTE plus C-Band). However, opting for a multi-carrier solution here seems unlikely unless another carrier has actually joined the build. This node is equidistant (about five blocks) between two AT&T macro sites, and there are no oDAS nodes deployed nearby. Although I'm not currently mapping AT&T, based on CellMapper, it appears to be right on cell edge for both sites. Regardless, it appears that whoever is deploying is planning for a significant build. There are eight Crown Castle Solutions nodes approved for construction in a 12-block by 2-block area.
    • Starlink (1900mhz) for T-Mobile, AST SpaceMobile (700mhz and 850mhz) for AT&T, GlobalStar (unknown frequency) for Apple, Iridium (unknown frequency) for Samsung, and AST SpaceMobile (850mhz) for Verizon only work on frequency bands the carrier has licensed nationwide.  These systems broadcast and listen on multiple frequencies at the same time in areas much wider than normal cellular market license areas.  They would struggle with only broadcasting certain frequencies only in certain markets so instead they require a nationwide license.  With the antennas that are included on the satellites, they have range of cellular band frequencies they support and can have different frequencies with different providers in each supported country.  The cellular bands in use are typically 5mhz x 5mhz bands (37.5mbps total for the entire cell) or smaller so they do not have a lot of data bandwidth for the satellite band covering a very large plot of land with potentially millions of customers in a single large cellular satellite cell.  I have heard that each of Starlink's cells sharing that bandwidth will cover 75 or more miles. Satellite cellular connectivity will be set to the lowest priority connection just before SOS service on supported mobile devices and is made available nationwide in supported countries.  The mobile device rules pushed by the provider decide when and where the device is allowed to connect to the satellite service and what services can be provided over that connection.  The satellite has a weak receiving antenna and is moving very quickly so any significant obstructions above your mobile device antenna could cause it not to work.  All the cellular satellite services are starting with texting only and some of them like Apple's solution only support a predefined set of text messages.  Eventually it is expected that a limited number of simultaneous voice calls (VoLTE) will run on these per satellite cell.  Any spare data will then be available as an extremely slow LTE data connection as it could potentially be shared by millions of people.  Satellite data from the way these are currently configured will likely never work well enough to use unless you are in a very remote location.
    • T-Mobile owns the PCS G-block across the contiguous U.S. so they can just use that spectrum to broadcast direct to cell. Ideally your phone would only connect to it in areas where there isn't any terrestrial service available.