Force Verizon PRL & NV 3G speeds? Orlando FL

sddabrow

Hey guys, new to S4GRU but have been following the site for a while now!

I purchased an iPhone4s last year and am relatively happy with the device. What I am not happy about is Sprint's 3g speeds in my area (Melbourne & Orlando FL).

I recently read a few reviews on forcing the iPhone4S to a Verizon PRL to get 1.5-2.5Mbps rather than my 0.1Mbps. Has any one tried this with success?

Also, I understand forcing my PRL and roaming could cause my contract to be terminated. Has any one experienced good 3g speeds with the new NV and can you post pictures?

If the NV 3g speeds will be more consistent and can get me above 1.0Mbps, I won't even think about forcing a PRL. I am just to the point where I struggle to stream Pandora and don't even think about loading YouTube videos.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Hey guys, new to S4GRU but have been following the site for a while now!

I purchased an iPhone4s last year and am relatively happy with the device. What I am not happy about is Sprint's 3g speeds in my area (Melbourne & Orlando FL).

I recently read a few reviews on forcing the iPhone4S to a Verizon PRL to get 1.5-2.5Mbps rather than my 0.1Mbps. Has any one tried this with success?

Also, I understand forcing my PRL and roaming could cause my contract to be terminated. Has any one experienced good 3g speeds with the new NV and can you post pictures?

If the NV 3g speeds will be more consistent and can get me above 1.0Mbps, I won't even think about forcing a PRL. I am just to the point where I struggle to stream Pandora and don't even think about loading YouTube videos.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

The Verizon PRL works, but if you go over 300MBs, or your usage on Verizon is more then your Sprint usage, then they will notify you.

The Verizon PRL works, but if you go over 300MBs, or your usage on Verizon is more then your Sprint usage, then they will notify you.

I was on vacation in Panama City Florida for a week and the days it rained, I used my phone. I was roaming on Verizon and hit 800 mbs. Didn't hear anything from Sprint. But I did have 2gb of sprint usage that same month.

It's a hit or miss. I am looking at houses in a neighborhood right now and sprint has no signal so I loaded up a Verizon prl for now. When I get home, I'll reload the Sprint one. :-P

I was on vacation in Panama City Florida for a week and the days it rained, I used my phone. I was roaming on Verizon and hit 800 mbs. Didn't hear anything from Sprint. But I did have 2gb of sprint usage that same month.

It's a hit or miss. I am looking at houses in a neighborhood right now and sprint has no signal so I loaded up a Verizon prl for now. When I get home, I'll reload the Sprint one. :-P

I want to make a little jailbreak app that simply downloads either a verizon or sprint prl and changes the required files at the touch of a button.

• Like 5

Thanks for the insight. I was reading that messaging and voice calls can return errors when on the Verizon PRL. Are you experiencing this?

I want to make a little jailbreak app that simply downloads either a verizon or sprint prl and changes the required files at the touch of a button.

I can do this on my GS3.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy S-III 32GB using Forum Runner

Thanks for the insight. I was reading that messaging and voice calls can return errors when on the Verizon PRL. Are you experiencing this?

only if I don't dial the area code. Text and mms/sms work fine. Data doesn't cut out either unless I'm using a lot at once (for days straight, etc.)

I can do this on my GS3.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy S-III 32GB using Forum Runner

Touch of a button? Do tell.... I only know how, but need to flash from cm to tw and back etc.... Painful

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

I just go to network settings and change it from automatic to roam only :)

I do miss loading prls on the fly though.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

That's what I do on my gs3. I just change the prl. Idk if you can set it to roam only on gs3. Maybe that's an evo 4g lte feature.

I'm planning on making this app once the iPhone 5 is jailbroken. It wouldn't be too hard- just make a simple Obj-C GUI and make two buttons. One button for Verizon, other for sprint. After it has replaced the necessary files (and downloading the prl from a free hosting site), it will prompt you to reboot. The button scripts can be easily accomplished with bash, so my only problem is the Obj-C.

That was really off-topic.

• Like 1

I'm planning on making this app once the iPhone 5 is jailbroken. It wouldn't be too hard- just make a simple Obj-C GUI and make two buttons. One button for Verizon, other for sprint. After it has replaced the necessary files (and downloading the prl from a free hosting site), it will prompt you to reboot. The button scripts can be easily accomplished with bash, so my only problem is the Obj-C.

That was really off-topic.

You have the code to push the prl to nv?

It might get trickier with LTE depending on if it is a split prl or if it is like the evo where it builds the prl itself based on two files.

You have the code to push the prl to nv?

It might get trickier with LTE depending on if it is a split prl or if it is like the evo where it builds the prl itself based on two files.

It would be simple enough on the 4 or 4S... Can't be sure about the 5 until I get it on Friday and it gets jailbroken!

Man, seeing all these AT&T and Verizon LTE speed tests make me want to jump ship even more! Their 50Mbps compared to my 0.2 lol!

What is keeping you guys to Sprint.. price, unlimited data, voice service??

I stay with Sprint for these reasons, in order:

1. I am trying to do my part in keeping a viable and competitive carrier against a duopoly, which would limit choice and drive up prices for everyone
  2. Unlimited data. I really dislike keeping track of my data to the Nth degree, even though I usually only use 3-4GB per month. But I really enjoy not having to manage my wife/kids data usage, especially.
  3. Price. I can afford more by changing some of my priorities, but I enjoy the price I pay. It allows me to buy a phone cash mid cycle, if I so choose.
  4. Roaming. Sprint has great roaming coverage, better than any other carrier I'm aware of. There are lots of times I am the only person with service at remote work locations, and people are asking to use my phone.
  5. Customer service. I have Verizon for my work phone and my personal LTE hotspot. I had AT&T before moving to Sprint. In my experiences, Sprint has the best customer service.
  6. Network Vision and their LTE plans. Network Vision is bad ass and will create a state of the art network. Also, Sprint is taking their LTE nationwide on every tower. Sprint will have the densest LTE network. Sprint also has more LTE spectrum available for the future than any carrier when you consider Clearwire. Verizon is aiming to take LTE over it's entire footprint, but not every site. AT&T has said repeatedly it is focusing only on urban LTE and even said they will allow rural coverage to wither and die if they didn't get the Tmo merger passed. Sprint should surpass AT&T LTE coverage mid next year.
  7. I am rooting for the underdog, which I have a tendency to do.

Yes, there are large swaths of Sprint 3G that suck right now. However, this is a small window in time. In some markets, this won't matter any more in a couple of months. And this time next year, it will be a distant memory for 2/3 of their customers. and by Christmas 2013, Sprint will be competitive with Verizon and ahead of AT&T.

If this narrow window of Sprint 3G annoyance is too much for you to bear over the next few months, then you should find another carrier. Really. We won't hold it against you. But for the long run, Sprint is the best choice for tens of millions of people. As my number one priority outlines, it is critical that we prevent a duopoly from taking over our wireless market in this country. Fortunately, Sprint's plans for the future will give them a revived opportunity to bring back at least a viable third choice (not counting Tmo).

Robert

• Like 4

Thanks Robert,

Your posts truly are insightful and provide helpful information! I guess I will just have to make a decision, as it will come down to: Can I wait another year for my upgrade and 4G through Sprint or will I just pay the ETF, have it covered by the resale of the 4S, and move to Verizon with limited, but fast, data.

• Like 1

My cousin just got a new iPhone 5 yesterday but I can't figure out how to update the profile and PRL? I've been to the carrier info and about page but there is nothing to update? Thanks

I'm sorry to tell you that until a jailbreak is released, changing your PRL will be impossible.

I've loaded the verizon prl on my 4S before but for some reason Im not able to send or receive texts. Speeds are phenomenal but I need my texts. Has anyone figured how to fix that?

Reboot? I didn't have that issue. I don't need it anymore because of network vision, so I can't help much.