First LTE Experience

I drove through the Atlanta area on Friday night on the way from Charlotte to Chattanooga... I was excited since it gave me an opportunity for my first LTE experience on my new Galaxy..

I was getting very frustrated as I came in on I-85 near the Mall of Georgia where according to the Sprint maps, the LTE was supposed to start.. My phone refused to switch to 4G....

But then I thought to myself that maybe that since I was at that time streaming the Jaguars pre-game show on my phone and that started while I was in 3G in South Carolina that maybe since I was getting a constant data feed on 3G that the LTE would not kick in... On my WIMAX EVO phones, the 4G even when streaming would kick in and the stream pause as it flipped over... With my Galaxy, it didn't...

So, I shut off my stream and after a couple of minutes, I got the 4G on my phone. I proceeded to get it as I went up I-75 quite a ways and did a speed test and got a great result, similar to my in-home WIFI connection.. Once I got the 4G on, it streamed just fine and then when I got out of LTE range north of Calhoun, it dropped back to 3G again and my stream continued..

So maybe that's the trick, if doing a constant data feed like a stream and you get into 4G, you need to pause your stream a little while to let the device flip over to LTE and then it would stay fairly constant after that..

I looked at my usage later on and saw my 40MB of 4G usage

• Like 5

I have the same issue with my Verizon LTE hotspot. If I am actively using 3G EVDO or eHRPD, it will not even search out a LTE signal even when I drive into solid LTE coverage. However, if I stop my active data session, it will seek out and find LTE.

Robert

In typical American fashion, I had my first LTE experience in the front seat of a car.

;)

AJ

• Like 9

I have the same issue with my Verizon LTE hotspot. If I am actively using 3G EVDO or eHRPD, it will not even search out a LTE signal even when I drive into solid LTE coverage. However, if I stop my active data session, it will seek out and find LTE.

Robert

Well... as a previous WIMAX user, that's not how it worked.. There were many cases when streaming audio on my previous phone when I would start in 3G, 4G would kick in and it would pause briefly on the stream ( using Tune-In) and then if the 4G ended, it would pause again until the 3G kicked in... The passoff between 4G WIMAX to WIFI was usually seemless.. I've noticed that when my new phone flips fine between 3G and WIFI... again the stream typically pauses a bit as it refinds itself but then goes on.. I will find it interesting once LTE lights up in cities where I spend my time whether WIFI-LTE handoffs work right...

If in an active data session, LTE is designed to hand down to eHRPD. In fact, that is reason that eHRPD exists as a mod to EV-DO. However, I am uncertain that an active eHRPD session will hand back up to LTE. That may be a 3GPP limitation, as I seem to recall that an active W-CDMA session will not hand back up to LTE until the session goes dormant again.

AJ