I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry.

Yeah, sucks that I already have a Galaxy S4 that's only 6 months old. Sometimes technology just moves too fast. I finally weaned myself off of upgrading the PC every year and do it only once in a while. Going to have to do the same with my phones now. The S4 fits my needs and I like it too.

• Like 1

Does this mean they are going to flip some switches and their LTE is going to actually come alive in Orlando? Or are they actually about to launch it in it's current abysmal state?

I guess I'm asking, will there be any difference between right now and when they launch in the next week other than their normal/minimal progress?

Good question. I wouldn't call it abysmal, but I wouldn't call it excellent. I am surprised to see 70% network vision acceptance and 65% LTE. Seems they are forgetting my part of the city haha!. Sure hope they get a few more sites live before launching!0

Is it just me or does the distance and strength of LTE signal from towers seem very weak? It's like it only works within a mile or 2 of the tower and then goes right to 3G.

Inside or out? I go in any building and it pretty much switches to 3g. lol

Both. I have a tower that's less than 2 miles from my house that just went live recently. I don't get reception until I get to less than a mile from it. And then it's very weak until I get within probably 100 yards or so. It seems pretty much useless and that's all out doors.

Both. I have a tower that's less than 2 miles from my house that just went live recently. I don't get reception until I get to less than a mile from it. And then it's very weak until I get within probably 100 yards or so. It seems pretty much useless and that's all out doors.

It's definitely not supposed to be like that. I can understand a couple of miles or so because there is only so far the signal can propagate, but a couple hundred yards is ridiculous lol.

Agreed. I mean I may have limited coverage but I can still pick it up in my apartment. Granted the signal is traveling through about 200 feet of apartment complex before it can reach me, and then another mile something to the tower. I'll be happy when they get the tower on top of that raddison done on colonial and alafaya. I feel it should improve the gigantic coverage gap between here and UCF, and help with some of the issues over there with incredibly slow data speeds. 

Are sprints towers space evenly for 1900 MHz LTE. Since the drop out rate occurs sooner, could that be a reason a lot of people experience 0-1 bars inside LTE if they can even get it inside?

Here's what my take on all this from reading these forms for the last few months:

The reason why LTE tends to drop down so much compared to your eHRPD and 1x signal is because LTE is much more fragile, especially when it is being utilized on the higher high frequency band class 25 (1900Mhz) . Due to this your RSSI and SNR values tend to drop much lower more quickly when indoors. Your eHRPD and 1x signal also comes in on band 25 but the signal is not as vulnerable to propagation barriers like LTE is. I'm not entirely sure on the specifics of why, but I would think it is because LTE requires more data to be sent at faster rates, while for example 1x does not so propagation barriers impair that ability on LTE more so. I also know from experience that 1x on band class 26 (800Mhz) has excellent building penetration characteristics, so I would expect an LTE signal on BC26 to be just as good as your 1x signal on BC25. 

That said when we obtain devices that are compatible with BC41 (2500Mz) the propagation characteristics will be even poorer than what we see now for LTE. However Clearwire towers are typically spaced even closer together than Sprint towers and Sprint plans on deploying additional BC41 equipment on their towers that don't already have it in addition to deploying small cells. (mini cell towers on power poles, fem to cell, etc) That should solve part of the problem with respect to the BC26 TD-LTE when we see full deployment. 

I'm trying to get my hands on a Nexus 5 for when I go home to Chicago next week. I'll be hunting for LTE800 and TD-LTE! The maps on sprint.com show my house being in a "turbo" area for Sprint Spark, which means that I'll for sure have that sweet sweet TD-LTE with download speeds of 50 mbps! (hopefully)

• Like 1

That makes sense. That's what I was thinking too. If you pick up 800 do some tests! I want to know what to expect when it rolls around down here. Can't wait for it.

I know the 2500 sites are closer to each other thanks to them propagating even less, but again with the spark combination which will ultimately be all sprint phones unless people choose not to upgrade, it will be incredible. I am wondering what att and Verizon have to compete with that type of speeds.

Here's what my take on all this from reading these forms for the last few months:

The reason why LTE tends to drop down so much compared to your eHRPD and 1x signal is because LTE is much more fragile, especially when it is being utilized on the higher high frequency band class 25 (1900Mhz) . Due to this your RSSI and SNR values tend to drop much lower more quickly when indoors. Your eHRPD and 1x signal also comes in on band 25 but the signal is not as vulnerable to propagation barriers like LTE is. I'm not entirely sure on the specifics of why, but I would think it is because LTE requires more data to be sent at faster rates, while for example 1x does not so propagation barriers impair that ability on LTE more so. I also know from experience that 1x on band class 26 (800Mhz) has excellent building penetration characteristics, so I would expect an LTE signal on BC26 to be just as good as your 1x signal on BC25. 

That said when we obtain devices that are compatible with BC41 (2500Mz) the propagation characteristics will be even poorer than what we see now for LTE. However Clearwire towers are typically spaced even closer together than Sprint towers and Sprint plans on deploying additional BC41 equipment on their towers that don't already have it in addition to deploying small cells. (mini cell towers on power poles, fem to cell, etc) That should solve part of the problem with respect to the BC26 TD-LTE when we see full deployment. 

I'm trying to get my hands on a Nexus 5 for when I go home to Chicago next week. I'll be hunting for LTE800 and TD-LTE! The maps on sprint.com show my house being in a "turbo" area for Sprint Spark, which means that I'll for sure have that sweet sweet TD-LTE with download speeds of 50 mbps! (hopefully)

Sounds like Sprint LTE service is going to be pretty poor until Tri-Band devices and service are more widespread. Not good since I'm not sure when that will be. End of 2014?

That makes sense. That's what I was thinking too. If you pick up 800 do some tests! I want to know what to expect when it rolls around down here. Can't wait for it.

I know the 2500 sites are closer to each other thanks to them propagating even less, but again with the spark combination which will ultimately be all sprint phones unless people choose not to upgrade, it will be incredible. I am wondering what att and Verizon have to compete with that type of speeds.

Basically they have AWS (1700Mhz) spectrum that they are now beginning to deploy. They are actually starting to experience capacity issues on their existing LTE network in certain places. The AWS spectrum they have is not quite as fat of spectrum that Sprint has for BC 41. AWS will definitely give a Sprint even more run for their money considering we are still far behind VZW and ATT on deployment. 

Sounds like Sprint LTE service is going to be pretty poor until Tri-Band devices and service are more widespread. Not good since I'm not sure when that will be. End of 2014?

Spark (triband) is already deployed to some extent in select markets (Chicago, Tampa, Miami, others) but it looks like Orlando will be behind considering we just got word of official launch of LTE here this month. I'll bet there are some TD-LTE accepted sites in Orlando since Clearwire has been upgrading their sites to TD-LTE at their own pace prior to the merger. My guess is mid to late 2014 for LTE800 and an official Spark launch here.

• Like 1

Seems about right, late 2014. Verizon is apparently rolling out their AWS spectrum now. I'm hearing they are getting speeds up to 80Mbps. If they get that in Orlando anytime soon I'm done with Sprint until they finish their entire Network Vision rollout in 2016. They are just so far behind. Somebody on another forum was getting 64Mbps down/15Mbps up on the new Verizon AWS already. Incredible.

• Like 1

Screen_Shot_2013_12_09_at_11_57_19_AM.pn

Just wondering if anyone has any info on when I can expect more widespread LTE coverage in New Smyrna Beach. Right now coverage is pretty much limited to the main arteries (44, I-95, A1A, US1, Flagler Ave, Canal St). Also where are the Sprint cell towers located in New Smyrna Beach?

Doubt the sensorly data is up to date.. I've stopped mapping recently.. Check the sprint coverage maps or become a sponsor to see where the accepted towers are..

Just placed an order for a Nexus 5, I should be getting it by the end of the week. I'll be up in Chicago then, I'll keep everyone updated on what kind of spark madness I find up there. 

I'll be hunting for:

Band 41 TD-LTE
Band 26 800LTE

Degraded SNR and performance on Band 25 1900LTE

I'll be back in Orlando January 6th, maybe I'll at least come back to 1x800 or the tower across the street from me actually LTE accepted. I don't know why it's taking them so long, NV equipment has been up for months!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Crickets on this thread...

How's Orlando shaping up since the launch? I've been in Chicago with my new Nexus 5 and I'm a little disappointed that I haven't seen any 800LTE yet. Got connected to band 41 LTE for a split second but NOOO it dropped back to PCS LTE pretty much right away. 

Anyway, I've been enjoying 25mbs + of LTE up here. Had a peak of 31mbs at one point. Looking forward to this in Orlando in the next few months!

• Like 1

25Mbps? Orlando LTE is weak. I get an average of probably 2 to 5Mbps down when I'm connected outside with my phone taped to a 50 ft pole I'm holding straight up in the air. Rarely do I ever see anything better than that. And it basically doesn't work indoors. I guess you get what you pay for.