Network Vision/LTE - Miami/West Palm Market

Mondays In Flames

now that Sprint is finally turning LTE towers on in South Fl I wonder how many towers will turn on weekly? Is it safe to assume 2 to 4 new towers a week until the entire network is complete?

There are no safe assumptions. We will not be able to make any assumptions until production gets moving and we come up with an average weekly production rate. Some markets average 30-50 per week. Some average 10-20. Some average 2-3. We will see what Ericsson does in Miami.

Robert via Nexus 7 using Forum Runner

In the past two days, I've passed over the 826 and Tropical Park about three times in different times of the day. I've yet to see any LTE light up on my phone. Maybe I'm just passing at the wrong times :P I am glad to see all that purple on Sensorly though.

-Luis

Did you toggle airplane mode? When I was biking near the palmetto and between SW 40th and 56th st, my phone never switched to LTE unless I toggled airplane mode...

Yup, on both phones. I toggled airplane mode five times to be honest, but I got nothing. It was always connected to eHRPD.

-Luis

All this week when I drive to work and from I've picked up LTE on the palmetto S/N bound. On my iPhone 5 no need to toggle airplane mode on or off. I noticed I get the little circle and LTE symbol comes on. LTE connection is consistent and good speeds.

...on iPhone5/iOS6 via Tapatalk...

All this week when I drive to work and from I've picked up LTE on the palmetto S/N bound. On my iPhone 5 no need to toggle airplane mode on or off. I noticed I get the little circle and LTE symbol comes on. LTE connection is consistent and good speeds.

I had to toggle airplane mode on my Galaxy S3 to get 4G. I just read here (http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/2451-jellybean-ota-coming-to-the-s3-1025/page__pid__60941&do=findComment&comment=60941) that beginning today the S3 will start getting Android 4.1 Jelly Bean, and with it comes "LTE system selection improvements" which I guess will make it more likely to connect to LTE on its own like the iphone 5. By the way for S3 owners, this is no longer a rumor, it has been confirmed by Sprint (http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/491715#491715)

I think cause sandy is effecting us sprint will suspend work for a couple of days. The weather channel is saying palm beach county can see gusts between 35 to 50mph. But they always over hype shit so i doubt we will have any serious wind speeds. But sprint might have to suspend work for a couple days.

I just got the Galaxy Note 2 this morning and it comes with jelly bean so does that mean I don't have to toggle airplane mode for lte?

Most likely not. Like I stated before on my iphone 5...I've yet to do this in order for my phone to pick up LTE. Once im in an LTE zone i see it switch by itself. You might want to check out android central forums regarding this...

I just got the Galaxy Note 2 this morning and it comes with jelly bean so does that mean I don't have to toggle airplane mode for lte?

We have not idea how well this device will perform with LTE until people start using it.

Jellybean has nothing to do with it. There does happen to be an OTA just released for the GS3 which has some kind of LTE-connection tweak (a Spring-Samsung thing for that device) bundled with Jellybean. But the tweak is not a property of Jellybean, which is a Google Android thing.

I think cause sandy is effecting us sprint will suspend work for a couple of days. The weather channel is saying palm beach county can see gusts between 35 to 50mph. But they always over hype so i doubt we will have any serious wind speeds. But sprint might have to suspend work for a couple days.

I would have to agree with the weather channel on this, winds could gust to 60mph on the Atlantic coast overnight and Friday.

Then it's the Northeast's turn.

I just drove I95 from Lauderdale to Miami and back and the section I usually get LTE was just 3G today, so they probably are working on it again, or have it turned off. I did get LTE at Miami Gardens exit, which is much further south than I usually do, but nothing in the Hollywood area.

I would have to agree with the weather channel on this, winds could gust to 60mph on the Atlantic coast overnight and Friday.

Then it's the Northeast's turn.

Yea but i doubt we will see those strong winds. I hope no equipments gets damaged cause i dont think cell towers are hurricane proof

Yea but i doubt we will see those strong winds. I hope no equipments gets damaged cause i dont think cell towers are hurricane proof

National Weather Service predicting high winds as well. I have no idea how well the towers hold up in weather like that, but I would imagine there shouldn't be too much damage since it's not a direct strike from the hurricane. I would think the biggest impact is that crews will not be able to work tomorrow.

image3.gif

ya i think they shut off LTE in Broward. I've been getting LTE everyday outside my house consistently but havent gotten any since late last night. Winds are howling out there so I'm sure we wont see anymore build out til the storm passes

Just went north via the Palmetto and picked up LTE when I passed SW 40th St and I lost it when I hit NW 25th St.

I did a speed test and the speed was really sucky (less than 1mbps download!) I assumed it was a weak LTE signal since I remember reading that LTE speeds were pretty dependent on signal strength. I went to the LTE Engineering screen and saw the signal was -101 dbm which according to Robert on the "bars lie for LTE signal..." thread is GOOD (-97 to -107 is GOOD according to that thread).

post-2326-13512058339642_thumb.jpg

http://www.math.miami.edu/~luisrodg/

Speeds will likely fluctuate quite a bit, as will signals since the market is still in it's infancy, NV wise.

Does bad weather like heavy rain/heavy wind gusts affect anything? Since we are experiencing tropical storm weather.

I assume that's case but it should be reflected on the actual signal level no?

http://www.math.miami.edu/~luisrodg/

Not necessarily backhaul might not be hooked up, not hooked up correctly, not feeding through the panels, any number of things. The signal might just be on for testing, but not really available for data flow. Members in Wichita, KS have reported very slow speeds with a good LTE signal for a couple weeks, and then all the sudden it jumps up to normal with the signal staying the same. Now, if Sprint had announced that Miami was LTE ready, then you might have a problem.

Does bad weather like heavy rain/heavy wind gusts affect anything? Since we are experiencing tropical storm weather.

Other than workers on towers? Probably not. Unless something blows over, but I don't expect that to happen.