Would you pay for an early upgrade?

pyroscott

Sprintfeed reported that Sprint is about to offer an early upgrade program. It boils down to:

Customers that have upgraded devices between 9-11 months ago would have an early upgrade fee of $165.

Customers that have upgraded between 12-14 months ago will have an early upgrade fee of $125.

Customers that have upgraded between 15-17 months ago will have an early upgrade fee of $95.

Customers that have upgraded between 18-21 months ago will have an early upgrade fee of $55, with anything beyond that period simply incurring the standard $36 upgrade fee

Would you use this to upgrade to a LTE device? Are you happy with your current device on 3g or WiMax? Or will you be browsing ebay for WiMax devices on the cheap when everyone is upgrading to LTE?

http://www.sprintfeed.com/2012/02/sprint-to-offer-early-upgrade-buyout-program/

• Like 1

I'm glad you started a topic on this because I was just getting ready to ask the same question? I'm wanting to know what others think, and if it is a good idea, then I am going to take it and run and get an iPhone 4S or the Evo 3D.

I'm glad you started a topic on this because I was just getting ready to ask the same question? I'm wanting to know what others think, and if it is a good idea, then I am going to take it and run and get an iPhone 4S or the Evo 3D.

I would definitely do it. Especially if you upgraded a year or more ago. The Evo 3D would still be cheaper than it was at launch, and while it may have lost some of it's luster in comparison to the E4GT, it is still a good phone. Also with the amount of subsidizing sprint has to do on the iPhone, this is a great deal if you were looking at buying one of those. The whole upgrade program says it is a $150 discount, but on the flagship phones and especially the iPhone, it is a lot more that that.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

I saw it for $100 on Amazon. That may have been for a new line of service though.

The promotion will only be good in Corporate stores & the ET4G starting price is $249.99 with a $50 mir bringing the cost of the phone down to $199.99.

• Like 1

The promotion will only be good in Corporate stores & the ET4G starting price is $249.99 with a $50 mir bringing the cost of the phone down to $199.99.

I missed that the first time I read it. I also see the promotion expires April 14th. If I was a betting man, I would bet we don't see LTE devices until the 15th.

All these promotions they have been having might get them in trouble down the road when people see LTE releasing and they don't have an upgrade available for another year+. I can see the posts on the sprint message boards "I've been a sprint customer with 6 lines for 14 years and now I have these 4G phones that don't work on my local 4G network and the corporate greed of Sprint won't let me get a LTE phone! I'm going to Verizon, they will give me a discount on a LTE phone."

• Like 1

lol, you are probably right. Most crazy and awesome promotions are done before a major launch. And there are people who will never be satisfied. But Sprint shouldn't put a time frame on this promotion. They should leave it permanently. I don't see people using it every 9 months to upgrade to a new phone, lol.

• Like 1

Sprintfeed reported that Sprint is about to offer an early upgrade program. It boils down to:

Customers that have upgraded devices between 9-11 months ago would have an early upgrade fee of $165.

Customers that have upgraded between 12-14 months ago will have an early upgrade fee of $125.

Customers that have upgraded between 15-17 months ago will have an early upgrade fee of $95.

Customers that have upgraded between 18-21 months ago will have an early upgrade fee of $55, with anything beyond that period simply incurring the standard $36 upgrade fee

Would you use this to upgrade to a LTE device? Are you happy with your current device on 3g or WiMax? Or will you be browsing ebay for WiMax devices on the cheap when everyone is upgrading to LTE?

http://www.sprintfee...buyout-program/

Great post! Thanks for posting this! :goodpost:

I have seen upgrades much cheaper, but since it's only at corporate stores...well that's a bummer for getting a really good discount. I hope they open it up to other Sprint device sellers, like Amazon Wireless and Radio Shack, etc. :fingers:

I missed that the first time I read it. I also see the promotion expires April 14th. If I was a betting man, I would bet we don't see LTE devices until the 15th.

I think you're right. This is a way to try to clear out old WiMax inventory before LTE hits the streets. I think the big news in all this is now we have a good idea when LTE devices will hit the market. :secret:

And this is exciting, because this would be ahead of schedule. Originally, LTE devices were slated for mid year. For Sprint to beat a schedule related to LTE and NV would be a great shot in the arm for boosting consumer confidence. :clap:

For people who live in WiMax markets, or happy with their 3G performance and don't care about LTE, then this is a good deal. All things considered.

lol, you are probably right. Most crazy and awesome promotions are done before a major launch. And there are people who will never be satisfied. But Sprint shouldn't put a time frame on this promotion. They should leave it permanently. I don't see people using it every 9 months to upgrade to a new phone, lol.

They used to have the deal where you could get an early upgrade after a year for $75. I don't know why they ended that. If they don't keep all the varying upgrade levels from this promotion, I'd like to see at least the $75 mid contact upgrade come back. Or at least offer an upgrade at cost at their corporate store...

• Like 1

I think the big news in all this is now we have a good idea when LTE devices will hit the market.

And this is exciting, because this would be ahead of schedule. Originally, LTE devices were slated for mid year. For Sprint to beat a schedule related to LTE and NV would be a great shot in the arm for boosting consumer confidence.

It is exiting! I wouldn't expect them to release on the 15th but we could be 10 or so weeks away from LTE devices!

AT&T did something similar for the iPhone to keep people locked in contract up to the iPhone 4 if I remember correctly. Subsidy wise I'm sure Big Blue took a hit. Sprint would be wise to consider this or something. I've mentioned before that they will have a fire sale several months before LTE is on and/or when the LTE phones ar launched.

I got my iPhone 3Gs in June, 2009. In June 2010 when the iPhone 4 was released, I got my upgrade date pushed up automatically by at&t. It was their way to get you roped in for another year on contract. I don't know if they still do that now, but it sure hooked me on getting my iPhone 4.