S3 Update: L710PALG2

iansltx

Just got a notiication of this update. Installed in a minute or so. Looks like a new baseband? In any case, it was a 1.9MB file.Android version is 4.0.4. Looks like the build date is 7/4 on the kernel.

My wifes phone got it yesterday morning and while I was asleep (work graveyard) she decided to to check mine. It didn't install correctly but it did break my root. LOL

Sad day...the Google search bar has been hamstrung due to Apple shenanigans. This is one reason why I will not recommend the iPhone to people. Particularly since Palm definitely has prior art on this patent.

• Like 5

Sad day...the Google search bar has been hamstrung due to Apple shenanigans. This is one reason why I will not recommend the iPhone to people. Particularly since Palm definitely has prior art on this patent.

There are easy ways to fix it. You have to be rooted for it to stick. Then you can download the old universal search box apk replace it in your /system/app folder by renaming the old one to .bak and making the new one the same name the old one was. Reboot and boom your are back in action with Universal Search.

My problem is that there is a rumor that the update cripples 3G and WiFi for some users giving them horrible data speeds, so I have not taken the OTA update at this point, and I plan not to. I just wish someone has a fix to stop the "update notification" pop-up.

There are easy ways to fix it. You have to be rooted for it to stick. Then you can download the old universal search box apk replace it in your /system/app folder by renaming the old one to .bak and making the new one the same name the old one was. Reboot and boom your are back in action with Universal Search.

My problem is that there is a rumor that the update cripples 3G and WiFi for some users giving them horrible data speeds, so I have not taken the OTA update at this point, and I plan not to. I just wish someone has a fix to stop the "update notification" pop-up.

I believe you can if you try to let it update and let it fail, then pull out the battery.

I don't feel like rooting at this point (maybe a 100% functional JB ROM will push me over the edge there). As for 3G speeds, I tethered yesterday and got 1000/600 (so alls well there). WiFi seems to be just as snappy as ever, though I haven't done a speedtest on WiFi in awhile.

EDIT: I just speedtested on WiFi. With a "very strong" signal and 72 Mbps link speed, I hit 30+ Mbps down and 20+ Mbps up (gotta love PowerBoost). These speeds are comparable to what I've gotten pre-update.