Motorola backing out of its promises.

legion125

Migrated from Original Forum. Originally Posted 1 February 2012

Here's what I thought was an interesting commentary. Moto committed last year to unlocking its bootloaders, and never fulfilled its promise. Although it is releasing a developers version of the RAZR, it still has not provided the code to unlock the bootloaders of its other phones.

Do you think with the impending purchase by Google this will change? I'm curious because both Sprint & Motorola have promised a stronger relationship and if we start getting some high end phones, being able to modify it would make a lot of Sprintsters happy.

I think it will take some time for the devs to get excited about Moto phones. Google may change that quickly and Moto could end up being the manufacturer of choice for the devs, but as of right now, it's pretty dark in the Motorola developer section.

I really hope Google steps in and gives some positive direction. Moto is getting a new CEO once the deal is done so this could be a good start. Plus since Sprint is openly cultivating a strong relation with Motorola, I would hope this would translate into Sprint getting some more high end phones. A better selection and line up is always good.

I'm really excited about the thought of a Sprint version of the RAZR MAXX with LTE. I sure hope Google can straighten out the issues with Moto quickly.

Sent from Tapatalk App

As much as I love my Motorola Photon 4G, I feel it may be my last one. I really miss the ability to install custom roms without hassle like I did with HTC EVO. Its a shame because I feel the Photon is one of the best devices I've had with Sprint.

As for Motorola changing its stance on bootloaders. I do not see it even with Google. Google has mentioned numerous times that Moto will be a separate run entity and not dictated by Google. The only wrinkle in that plan would be the massive amount of set top devices (cable boxes, etc) that Motorola makes. This would fall in line with both Google TV as well as Google broadband that is in being tested in Kansas City and eventually spread country wide.

TS

My MOPHO is the only android phone I have had that I did not constantly run a custom rom on or keep rooted. I had it rooted for a total of one day. It was just two much of a hassle to do everything especially compared to when I had my Vibrant on TMobile. Now that I dished out the money for the lapdock I feel like I am stuck with Moto for now and will wait and see if what they have to offer for LTE phones. Hopefully they unlock the bootloader on any new releases and there is a strong dev community for the phones. Otherwise the lapdock will go on Craiglist and will have to get something else.