New buy up program "Upgrade Now"

xcharles718

From ISN

http://insidesprintnow.wordpress.com/2012/06/08/early-upgrade-buy-up-replaced-by-upgrade-now/

(quote isn't working for me)

I’ve receive *almost* as many questions about this over the past week as I did about the EVO LTE – and I was finally able to get an answer :) Here’s the new official policy, that eliminates the “early upgrade buy up” (aka contract buy out) and replaces it with a new program called “upgrade now”

To provide a better customer experience and align Account Services with the same price points as Retail, we’re replacing the “Early Upgrade Buy Up” offer strategy with a new program called “Upgrade Now”. There will be 2 tiers for Upgrade Now fees, based on whether it’s an advanced or non-advanced device:

Non-Advanced Devices

• 09-11 mos. RLOF: $150 UPGRADENOW; CSM charge code: BUY150
  • 12-14 mos. RLOF: $125 UPGRADENOW; CSM charge code: BUY125
  • 15-17 mos. RLOF: $100 UPGRADENOW; CSM charge code: BUY100
  • 18-21 mos. RLOF: $50 UPGRADENOW; CSM charge code: BUY50

Advanced Devices

• 09-11 mos. RLOF: $275 UPGRADENOW; CSM charge code: BUY275
  • 12-14 mos. RLOF: $225 UPGRADENOW; CSM charge code: BUY225
  • 15-17 mos. RLOF: $175 UPGRADENOW; CSM charge code: BUY175
  • 18-21 mos. RLOF: $100 UPGRADENOW; CSM charge code: BUY100

Offers will continue to be targeted in sView/i-Care (Campaign: XU UPGRADE NOW) based on rebate life on file and other qualifying criteria.

Agents must discuss the buyback program with customers.

Retail stores will require the customer to use the buyback program on their old device (exceptions may apply), which in turns gives the customer an instant credit.

Important note: Retail will not be going live until 6/18/12.

Prior to 6/18/12:

• Account Services will handle the call business as usual the same way we’ve handled the buy up offer.
  • Offers will need to be dispositioned as Offer Accepted/Declined based on the outcome.

After 6/18/12:

• Refer to nearest corporate owned store so the customer can take care of the entire upgrade process end-to-end without having to wait for their device to be delivered or their buyback credit to appear on the account.
  • Important: If customer chooses to visit a store, disposition as Offer/Declined. The store will disposition the Accept during the fulfillment process.

Notes for Account Services:

• Familiarize yourself with the new tiers available based on device type.
  • Review Targeted Offers to determine if customer is eligible for this offer.
  • If customer is eligible:
  • Educate on what the Upgrade Now program is, how it works, and options for completing the Upgrade.
  • Position Buyback on every call (instant if going through retail or future bill credit if processed online).
  • If prior to 6/18/12, handle the call business as usual the same way we’ve handled the buy up offer.
  • After 6/18/12, discuss with customer benefits of visiting a store and provide an address to the nearest corporate store. If customer does not want to go to a store, then handle business as usual, the same way we’ve handled the buy up offer.
  • Disposition the offer:
  • If before 6/18, disposition business as usual based on the outcome of the call.
  • If after 6/18 and you refer to store to have offer fulfilled, disposition as Offer/Declined. The Store will click Accept during the fulfillment process.

• Like 1

Its become more financially sensical again to add a line and cancel your under contract line . Sure, keeping the number can require some skill, but integration with google voice eases that one.

dang, 275 early buy up + 200 new contract price + 200 contract if you cancel = 675 why not just buy the phone out right and not be in contract? Sent from my Evo 3D using Tapatalk

Do you mean $275 early buy up + $200 for the new contract = $475? Because there is no buy up involved if you cancel the line. All a buy up would be is, you'd pay to move up your upgrade. Which essentially plays out like, "Oh no! I just bought this crappy Iphone a month ago, and this sweet Galaxy S 3 is coming out in two weeks! *sells Iphone, does 'UPGRADENOW' buys new phone*

If you're switching phones that quick anyway, and the value of your phone hasn't dropped... you're breaking even if you do it right. All this program is doing is enabling you to pay off the subsidy of the previous phone so you can reup with new subsidy.

atleast that's what it looks like to me....

I wonder what happens if you were to activate a dumbphone on your line at home and walk into the store and get the upgrade now?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Do you mean $275 early buy up + $200 for the new contract = $475? Because there is no buy up involved if you cancel the line. All a buy up would be is, you'd pay to move up your upgrade. Which essentially plays out like, "Oh no! I just bought this crappy Iphone a month ago, and this sweet Galaxy S 3 is coming out in two weeks! *sells Iphone, does 'UPGRADENOW' buys new phone*

If you're switching phones that quick anyway, and the value of your phone hasn't dropped... you're breaking even if you do it right. All this program is doing is enabling you to pay off the subsidy of the previous phone so you can reup with new subsidy.

atleast that's what it looks like to me....

no I was talking about, you have to spend $275 to buy up, plus $200 for the new phone you're buying (new contract price) and now your in another 2 year contract witch would be another $200 to get out of if you wanted to. that equals $675. I would just assume buy the phone off craigslist at that point and I won't be in contract

Sent from my Evo 3D using Tapatalk

no I was talking about, you have to spend $275 to buy up, plus $200 for the new phone you're buying (new contract price) and now your in another 2 year contract witch would be another $200 to get out of if you wanted to. that equals $675. I would just assume buy the phone off craigslist at that point and I won't be in contract

The ETF for smartphones is 350. Also, if you are planning on leaving sprint, why would you buy a new device that will probably only work on their service.

The ETF for smartphones is 350. Also, if you are planning on leaving sprint, why would you buy a new device that will probably only work on their service.

well then that could put you as much as $825 in the hole. I would just get my phone from CL at that point.

well then that could put you as much as $825 in the hole. I would just get my phone from CL at that point.

Again, why would you basically buy out your contract, then sign a new contract if you were planning on canceling your contract? That would be the only way you pay 825. If your plan was to leave sprint, it would be smarter to just pay your ETF and leave.

This is for customers who are happy with their service, and want a new phone, but do not want to pay 600+ for it. If they change their device every year, then they would only be paying 425 compared to 550-650.

I do agree that the CL or buying out right would probably be a better option, because it would not extend your contract.

Again, why would you basically buy out your contract, then sign a new contract if you were planning on canceling your contract? That would be the only way you pay 825. If your plan was to leave sprint, it would be smarter to just pay your ETF and leave.

This is for customers who are happy with their service, and want a new phone, but do not want to pay 600+ for it. If they change their device every year, then they would only be paying 425 compared to 550-650.

I do agree that the CL or buying out right would probably be a better option, because it would not extend your contract.

Chad I don't know how long you have been with sprint but im going on 10+ years, im not saying I'm unhappy with the service, I have a family plan with 5 lines on it... BUT, in my time with sprint I would be living if i didn't say there wasn't a few snugs in the road where I was ready to drop sprint completely, Sprint "today" is a pretty good carrier but us old timers can't help but remember of the old sprint (mainly because it wasn't that long ago) that sprint had the worst customer service in the industry and i would always see hick ups on my bill with little help from sprint to deal with it. So excuse me if the way I add things up in my head doesn't makes sense to you, but to me if there a possibility I could pay it then I add in for good measure and if in the future I don't end up paying it then that's just more money in my pocket.

you keep on with why would anyone buy there upgrade and then cancel, and the answer is because you don't know what's going to happen tomarrow, next week, month and even 2 years from now. that's along time sprint can very well change things to upset (maybe not you) but plenty of others

let me remind you of some of the changes sprint has made with in that last 24 months that caused some people to get upset and some to cancel

1) ASL: account spending limit, this was added to the lines with not so great credit it was and still is a $5 tax every month because you "might" pay your bill late... not to mention if you do pay your bill late you will also get a late fee.

2) EVP: the Employees Value Program discount changed (this one effected me) before you got your EVP on all the lines in your family plan then one day it changed and you could only get the discount on the initial cost of the plan this costed me an extra $15 a month

3) FP: the family plan changed again. sprint droped it to only $110/month but no longer included the second line. those of us with EVP, our bills went up again. Mine $5

4) PD: Primum Data, it wasn't that long ago that sprint didn't have an extra tax on unlimited data but today they do. every smartphone gets a extra $10 charge every month... my bill went up $50

5) No more upgrades every year :-(

Now I know there was others and i can remember off the top of my head but these are some that affected me. If you add them up 50+5+15+5= $75 extra a month I am paying for the same service I got when I first signed this contract im curectly in.

I'm not complaining because it's still cheaper then other carries, but am I weary of sprint and there back door policies (you bet!) and more importantly am I going to look at the $375 cancellation fee and add it into the price of the phone just in case... you bet ya!

1) ASL: account spending limit, this was added to the lines with not so great credit it was and still is a $5 tax every month because you "might" pay your bill late... not to mention if you do pay your bill late you will also get a late fee.

2) EVP: the Employees Value Program discount changed (this one effected me) before you got your EVP on all the lines in your family plan then one day it changed and you could only get the discount on the initial cost of the plan this costed me an extra $15 a month

3) FP: the family plan changed again. sprint droped it to only $110/month but no longer included the second line. those of us with EVP, our bills went up again. Mine $5

4) PD: Primum Data, it wasn't that long ago that sprint didn't have an extra tax on unlimited data but today they do. every smartphone gets a extra $10 charge every month... my bill went up $50

5) No more upgrades every year :-(

Now I know there was others and i can remember off the top of my head but these are some that affected me. If you add them up 50+5+15+5= $75 extra a month I am paying for the same service I got when I first signed this contract im curectly in.

I'm not complaining because it's still cheaper then other carries, but am I weary of sprint and there back door policies (you bet!) and more importantly am I going to look at the $375 cancellation fee and add it into the price of the phone just in case... you bet ya!\

1) The ASL program was already in place previously. Sprint allows many more people with low credit classes service without high deposits up front. The ASL is a stop gap to allow those who otherwise couldn't afford post-paid service, the ability to have Sprint. Even with the ASL in place many were not paying their bills on time or in full. This is why it was implemented most likely. It also explains why if you sign up for autopay the $5 charge is waived. In addition with on time payments over time the ASL will be automatically removed from your account and thus no longer subject to the $5 charge.

2 and 3) are both directly related. I don't have any specific information on why this was implemented, but my assumption is it has to do with something behind the scenes. I highly doubt Sprint did it just to piss people off in exchange for a few more dollars each month. There is some other underlying reason we don't know for why this was put into place, and we likely will never know the real reason.

4) Would you rather have data caps or throttling? Sprint is the last major carrier that can claim to have unlimited data and no worries about throttling your connection to a crawl. Sprint will want to hold onto that as long as possible as a differentiator.

5) This likely is related to the fact that carriers lose money on every device sale at a discount. That money is made back up by your higher monthly cost compared to prepaid carriers. With the cost of new smartphones being so high, discounting those yearly is not sustainable, as evidenced by Sprint removing the program. It was a differentiator that could not be sustained and thus was done away with. Instead Sprint reduces the regular upgrade cycle by 2 months for ALL customers, not just those paying a premium. And who knows, if I were a conspiracy type I'd say it was due to Apple since it happened about the time the iPhone was released. All 3 major carriers with the iPhone have identical upgrade policies and iPhone pricing...

1) The ASL program was already in place previously. Sprint allows many more people with low credit classes service without high deposits up front. The ASL is a stop gap to allow those who otherwise couldn't afford post-paid service, the ability to have Sprint. Even with the ASL in place many were not paying their bills on time or in full. This is why it was implemented most likely. It also explains why if you sign up for autopay the $5 charge is waived. In addition with on time payments over time the ASL will be automatically removed from your account and thus no longer subject to the $5 charge.

2 and 3) are both directly related. I don't have any specific information on why this was implemented, but my assumption is it has to do with something behind the scenes. I highly doubt Sprint did it just to piss people off in exchange for a few more dollars each month. There is some other underlying reason we don't know for why this was put into place, and we likely will never know the real reason.

4) Would you rather have data caps or throttling? Sprint is the last major carrier that can claim to have unlimited data and no worries about throttling your connection to a crawl. Sprint will want to hold onto that as long as possible as a differentiator.

5) This likely is related to the fact that carriers lose money on every device sale at a discount. That money is made back up by your higher monthly cost compared to prepaid carriers. With the cost of new smartphones being so high, discounting those yearly is not sustainable, as evidenced by Sprint removing the program. It was a differentiator that could not be sustained and thus was done away with. Instead Sprint reduces the regular upgrade cycle by 2 months for ALL customers, not just those paying a premium. And who knows, if I were a conspiracy type I'd say it was due to Apple since it happened about the time the iPhone was released. All 3 major carriers with the iPhone have identical upgrade policies and iPhone pricing...

All good points but i was simply implying why I added in the price of the contract into the price of the phone and why someone might cancel after signing a new contract and making the justification that I would be better off to just buy it off craigslist then go through this contract buy up program.

However your post got me thinking. I mean, no matter what the reasons my bill is much higher and I have less features/perks to show for it. $75/month more is $1800 more throughout the life of a contract, and what gets under my skin is I didn't sign up for that. :-(

Also...

1) ASL was put into place even if you already paid your deposit and had been with sprint for years. but today a new 18 year old with fresh/no credit gets charged a deposit and ASL and also a late fee if he pays late. I might be wrong, but it just feels like they're charging 3 times for the samething.

2) changed because sprint changed its policy/agreement with all the employers

3) when this took place I called sprint and was told, the FP was going to be dropped to $110, but I checked a few days ago and the family plan prices are still the same so I need to call them say WTF because my bill went up.

4) I would have rather been grandfathered into not paying it.

5) I know why they did it, but all im saying is that was a pretty awesome perk that people loved, Sprint advertised and marketed it as well. So many people where very upset when it went away.

I obviously have done the good sprint fanboy thing and given them the benefit of a doubt (as I'm still here) on most of these issues, but it has gotten to the point where I can't help but wonder when the next price increase will be and why.