Wimax/EVDO handoff

ericdabbs

I think I know the answer to this but does Wimax handoff to 3G seamlessly? Usually I don't turn on 3G and Wimax together at the same time but I decided to turn on both 3G and Wimax together streaming Netflix do it one time since I go through this route which I know I always lose my Wimax connection and was hoping my 3G connection would take over and continue streaming. I noticed that the 3G doesn't take over and on my phone screen it just shows the 4G scanning icon. I was hoping that Wimax would initiate 2 retries and then fail and switch over to 3G.

I know this won't be a problem with LTE since EVDO and LTE use eHRPD protocol to bridge between the 2 networks.

I think I know the answer to this but does Wimax handoff to 3G seamlessly? Usually I don't turn on 3G and Wimax together at the same time but I decided to turn on both 3G and Wimax together streaming Netflix do it one time since I go through this route which I know I always lose my Wimax connection and was hoping my 3G connection would take over and continue streaming. I noticed that the 3G doesn't take over and on my phone screen it just shows the 4G scanning icon. I was hoping that Wimax would initiate 2 retries and then fail and switch over to 3G.

I know this won't be a problem with LTE since EVDO and LTE use eHRPD protocol to bridge between the 2 networks.

WiMax will not hand over to EVDO. You can do a hard handoff, which works in some data situations, but not streaming or active downloading. However, in the right conditions (especially if you increase your WiMax settings to a weaker -dBm) you can get WiMax to hand off to WiMax. But even that can be tricky.

Robert

WiMax will not hand over to EVDO. You can do a hard handoff, which works in some data situations, but not streaming or active downloading. However, in the right conditions (especially if you increase your WiMax settings to a weaker -dBm) you can get WiMax to hand off to WiMax. But even that can be tricky.

Robert

Actually streaming is a candidate for unnoticable hard handoff, particularly if the handset has a large buffer. However forget about VOIP.

Edited by bigsnake49

Actually streaming is a candidate for unnoticable hard handoff, particularly if the handset has a large buffer. However forget about VOIP.

I tried using my slingplayer on Houston on the interstate. Absolutely horrible to watch with all the pausing due to the handing off from tower to tower on WiMAX.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

I tried using my slingplayer on Houston on the interstate. Absolutely horrible to watch with all the pausing due to the handing off from tower to tower on WiMAX.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

They might want to get a third party CDN to install some caching servers on their network. It helps tremendously. I don't think it would have helped you with slingplayer. I was thinking more about Internet radio.

I use the 4G in motion in Houston constantly with a data card through a cradle point which allows me to track signal strenth. The biggest problem is that there are gaps between tower coverages that cause disruption......especially the beltway on the NW side and on I-45 North. If 4G goes offline in motion it takes about15 seconds minimum (sometimes longer) to reacquire the next tower. It's sad that Sprint won't accept any outside help for equipment testing or coverage testing. I drive 1,000 miles a week in the Houston area and I am constantly using the data network 10 to 14 hours a day. Seems they could use the information that is readily available to them to help trim out the services.

As far as the 3G to Wimax handoff is concerned all of the equipment that I have seen so far will not allow simultaneous connection on Wimax and 3G so one service has to shut down before the other can start. I though maybe it was a power usage issue but from talking to the cradlepoint tech support people they told me that they are using the same beacham chipset in their custom sprint modem and it will allow simultaneous service on both 3G and Wimax with one band in standby to allow seamless network switching but Sprint will not allow it on their network.

I am getting ready to put the new Tri-band modem through the rigors. It is due here next week and they managed to have the cradle/dock in stock which is supposed to boost signal strength so they are sending that as well. It was a tough decision to pruchase based on all the problems I have had with sierra wireless hotspots in the past.

Stay tuned for more updates on network and the tri-band modem.

• Like 1

I use the 4G in motion in Houston constantly with a data card through a cradle point which allows me to track signal strenth. The biggest problem is that there are gaps between tower coverages that cause disruption......especially the beltway on the NW side and on I-45 North. If 4G goes offline in motion it takes about15 seconds minimum (sometimes longer) to reacquire the next tower. It's sad that Sprint won't accept any outside help for equipment testing or coverage testing. I drive 1,000 miles a week in the Houston area and I am constantly using the data network 10 to 14 hours a day. Seems they could use the information that is readily available to them to help trim out the services.

As far as the 3G to Wimax handoff is concerned all of the equipment that I have seen so far will not allow simultaneous connection on Wimax and 3G so one service has to shut down before the other can start. I though maybe it was a power usage issue but from talking to the cradlepoint tech support people they told me that they are using the same beacham chipset in their custom sprint modem and it will allow simultaneous service on both 3G and Wimax with one band in standby to allow seamless network switching but Sprint will not allow it on their network.

I am getting ready to put the new Tri-band modem through the rigors. It is due here next week and they managed to have the cradle/dock in stock which is supposed to boost signal strength so they are sending that as well. It was a tough decision to pruchase based on all the problems I have had with sierra wireless hotspots in the past.

Stay tuned for more updates on network and the tri-band modem.

It's not just the network that's at fault. The firmware on the device can detect a disconnect and can then switch to the backup. My router has that logic on it and works pretty well.

It's not just the network that's at fault. The firmware on the device can detect a disconnect and can then switch to the backup. My router has that logic on it and works pretty well.

The cradle point allows me to switch to a different internet connection as well.....failover/fallback as you will. It works, but is not nearly as reliable as a seamless handover on the same network would be.