Need help understand HDR radio setting!

joeyrushlow

I've been messing around with my Evo 4G LTE and noticed a different radio mode in the EPST.

The default with LTE on is "CDMA HDR LTE" and without LTE is "CDMA HDR".

Out of curiosity I changed it to "HDR only" Which gave me much better signal and data speeds.

A few other users over at xda have confirmed this, while some it made it slower. I'm sure theres a variable out there for this and a reason the CDMA HDR is default...

Can anybody explain the different frequencies, advantages/disadvantages etc?

Thanks =D

BTW, here's my thread at XDA

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1688065

The option is quite simple. The change in speeds and signal is a placebo kinda like how people get all warm and fuzzy when they update a PRL. If you leave it on HDR only you shut off 1x. 1X does the voice calls and SMS. You will stop getting incoming calls and texts. Outgoing will still work. I used to do this when I would tether my older phone but with the LTE Evo there is no worry about text messages stopping your data connection even on 3g.

So here is the break down. CDMA means 1X. HDR means EVDO. And of course LTE is LTE.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

• Like 2

True, HDR is synonymous with EV-DO. But the HDR only (or CDMA HDR only) setting appears to disable eHRPD. And the eHRPD core network has been faster for some than has the existing EV-DO core network. So, data throughput differences may be more than just placebo.

AJ

I am getting reports where some people are faster on eHRPD and some are slower. It varies from market to market. I think the only places it appears faster is on sites with NV backhaul. In places where people are on eHRPD on legacy backhaul, they seem to get roughly the same or worse performance than EVDO. However, my observations are only third party anecdotal...I have not observed these myself. I have yet to get an eHRPD connection here in New Mexico.

Robert

No ehrpd here either. I hear the NV contractors are having issues with the legacy cabinets here in my area. Everything is rusted shut, bolts rusted in place, etc since things have not been touched in over eight years or more. They are skipping us completely. LOL

• Like 1

No ehrpd here either. I hear the NV contractors are having issues with the legacy cabinets here in my area. Everything is rusted shut, bolts rusted in place, etc since things have not been touched in over eight years or more. They are skipping us completely. LOL

I guess there is no need to write the NOLA NV schedule update article! :hah:

Robert

• Like 1

I guess there is no need to write the NOLA NV schedule update article!

Robert

Haha... Such a tease! Nothing a "liquid" wrench can't fix.

I am sure that is quite the norm with some towers needing a little torching.

• Like 2