Samsung Ativ S Windows 8 phone

nels0300

Can't believe there isn't a thread posted about this yet. People really must not care about the windows phone. Anyway, the wife has wanted one for a while and we're on Sprint.

So, here they are. A mid range HTC phone, and what is basically a Galaxy S3 running windows 8:

http://www.wpcentral.com/sprint-htc-tiara-and-samsung-ativ-s-be-first-windows-phones

So far, those are the only details anyone has for either Windows phone. Hopefully soon some more info will start leaking out, but I expect a summer release for both of these phones.

I used a Lumia 920 for a few months, it was pretty nice. But if you had an application that was poorly written and chewed up your battery, you had no way to know which application it was. I had to remove them all one by one, over time until I had none installed.

Not very user friendly for people that wanted a little choice in how things work.

The default email application would auto resize images when you sent them via email, you had no choice, it just did it for you. The images sent were of poor quality, lower resolution, high compression. No way to change this.

I see it as an operating system in the middle of iOS and Android, where the user might be a little more capable.

I replaced mine with a Nexus4, a much cheaper phone, much better. I did lose the AT&T LTE, but its still fast enough for me.

I used a Lumia 920 for a few months, it was pretty nice. But if you had an application that was poorly written and chewed up your battery, you had no way to know which application it was. I had to remove them all one by one, over time until I had none installed.

Not very user friendly for people that wanted a little choice in how things work.

The default email application would auto resize images when you sent them via email, you had no choice, it just did it for you. The images sent were of poor quality, lower resolution, high compression. No way to change this.

I see it as an operating system in the middle of iOS and Android, where the user might be a little more capable.

I replaced mine with a Nexus4, a much cheaper phone, much better. I did lose the AT&T LTE, but its still fast enough for me.

Good to know, these are the things you don't know about until you own the phone. I was thinking of changing to something different, but I think I'll just wait and see with the wife's phone. I don't think that stuff would matter to my wife, all she needs it for is facebook, e-mail, messaging, and of course the phone.

I really do wish Sprint would offer the Nexus 4. Also waiting to see what Google/Motorola has in store as far as new phones.

I feel that Google doesn't spend enough time testing their nexus phones for cdma. I think cdma is best left to the phone makers to iron out the kinks unfortunately. I've just replaced my Gnex with an s3, for my own cell.

One feature of windows phones I didn't like is how you can't have the phone powered off while it is charging.

The cheap windows phones that are being released now for gsm providers are reasonable for what they are.

I definitely want to play with WP8 when one comes to Sprint. I've been futzing with Windows 8 on a touchscreen PC, and have been very impressed by how well it works, better than Android at 10", in my humble opinion. If the "tablet" interface scales down to phone size properly, I'd like it. That being said, WP7 I was not so impressed by...

The main reason why I was thinking of trying the windows phone is because the OS is supposed to be more stable and smooth than Android. My GS3 is supposed to be a powerhouse, but it still stutters and lags sometimes just like my old EVO. Sometimes when flipping between screens or closing out of apps it takes a few seconds to load the homescreen.

I've played around with Windows phones and they seem fast and very smooth.

The Lumia 820 I played with the other day was fast and smooth. Fruit Ninja even loaded quite quickly on it.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

The Lumia 820 I played with the other day was fast and smooth. Fruit Ninja even loaded quite quickly on it.

Yes, they all seems very fast, even the lower priced ones.

The top end Android phones/tablets do get laggy sometimes, that why I have the cpu meter gadget in the top corner, shows if it busy or stuck.