FCC Rules That Verizon Wireless Cannot Charge Extra For Tethering

4GHoward

I believe this is specific to vz, because of the restrictions placed on vz's lte 700.

Other carriers/freq's don't have that restriction (that they cannot restrict specific data usage).

When the FCC auctioned the Upper 700 MHz C block 22 MHz licenses four years ago, Google helped bid up the prices so that VZW's winning bids were above the threshold that triggered open access requirements on the C block.

AJ

• Like 4

Verizon must have seen this coming. IIRC' date=' when they revamped their family plans recently to share capped data, they made free tethering a "feature" of these shared plans.[/quote']

And that's the way it should be when you have a data cap (or data allotment). You pay for x amount of data, you should be able to use it any way you want. Smartphone, tethering, tablet, etc.

But of course, that model can't work with unlimited. And those need to be paid for per device.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy S-III 32GB using Forum Runner

• Like 8

When the FCC auctioned the Upper 700 MHz C block 22 MHz licenses four years ago, Google helped bid up the prices so that VZW's winning bids were above the threshold that triggered open access requirements on the C block.

AJ

If Sprint ever gets bought out by anybody, I hope it's Google.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

Why do you hope it's Google? What if it was Apple?

What if it were Anheuser-Busch?

AJ

• Like 3

What if it was Berkshire Hathaway?

Every smartphone activation comes with one ten thousandth of a share of Berkshire Hathaway stock and a free medium Dairy Queen Blizzard.

AJ

• Like 3

Every smartphone activation comes with one ten thousandth of a share of Berkshire Hathaway stock and a free medium Dairy Queen Blizzard.

AJ

So, based on this... I need my stock and blizzards delivered stat! :P

In regards to OP... I'm glad that this happened to VZW. I know it sounds a bit hater-ish, but seeing things like this just remind me why I continue to stay with Sprint. Forget those overpriced shared data plans and sneaky tactics to screw over customers!

AJ

Do I get an additional Blizzard if I refer a friend?

FCC should have dealt with this when unlimited data was still available.