International Use

red_dog007

If I call or text a US number and they are overseas, does that count as international use? If so, which party is charged?

What if they are overseas and text or call me via traditional means? If so, which party is charged?

My SO might be traveling a bit now and shopping for plans.  We do MVNOs but it doesn't seem like many of them even offer international add-ons. Really only see US Mobile and Google Fi. 

7 hours ago, red_dog007 said:

If I call or text a US number and they are overseas, does that count as international use? If so, which party is charged?

What if they are overseas and text or call me via traditional means? If so, which party is charged?

My SO might be traveling a bit now and shopping for plans.  We do MVNOs but it doesn't seem like many of them even offer international add-ons. Really only see US Mobile and Google Fi. 

US Mobile offers international calling from the US and wi-fi calling from overseas with international roaming being promised iirc.  Tello offers wi-if calling from anywhere as well.

If you mean calling a US cell phone customer who is currently roaming abroad, you are not charged any differently, the person you're calling that's roaming abroad will be charged the same as if they had made the call - if you were a T-Mobile customer roaming in France for example, the T-Mobile customer would be charged 25 cents a minute for a call - the same if it's incoming or outgoing.

If they are overseas and call you here in the US, nothing changes for you, it just comes out of your normal allowance. The best solution I've found is just using a Google Voice number and making data calls abroad with a cheap local SIM or esim. 

US Mobile only offers international roaming through eSIM.

If your phone supports wifi calling (any iPhone, a ton of Android phones nowadays), your calls abroad will be charged as if they were being made in the US. It's a great option. I have used T-Mobile's wifi calling all over Europe and also in Mainland China and it worked great. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, red_dog007 said:

Thanks for that.  That answers a lot.  Very cool about the international WiFi calling as well.  Is that typical across carriers and MVNOs?

My MVNOs now do support this,  but you diffinately want to test this in advance. Model coverage is not as extensive. Sometimes changes to APN settings will fix issues.